Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MXO2 dock future upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Dock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karel Z
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: MXO2 dock future upgrade Reply with quote

Hello everybody. I was lucky to see MXO2 dock, but specifications were disappointment for me. I have "big computer" with 2 screens setup, I have expected to have possibility to use notebook. So I need FireWire (for camera and for audio card), 2 display outputs and Matrox host.
But: No FireWire, HDMI only up to 1920x1080 (I have and everybody has 1920x1200 computer screens). Instead of HDMI only DisplayPort would be enough. Just single Thunderbolt.
I don't understand the point. If I have Thunderbolt-Host adapter, I use one Thunderbolt. If I use MXO2 dock I use and occupy also one Thunderbolt. No one needs another audio if we use MXO2, no one use HDMI 1920x1080 if we have HDMI from MXO2. Sad Sad Sad
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Karel and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. I am sorry you do not like our version of the MXO2 docking station. We have done extensive market research. FireWire is too slow for HD video so we added a USB 3 port. We have a 3 monitor system as seen on our link http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_dock/?ref=homepageflash. We are editing video that is 1920X1080 so why would you not want to use that type of monitor? You can add up to 6 Thunderbolt devices between us and your computer, this is meant to be an end unit to the daisy chain. You can just place your laptop down and start editing. If we get enough feedback and there is a large enough demand there may be modifications to this product. Judging by the emails and notify me forms we have already received so far it looks unlikely though.

We do value your input and I will forward your comments to our product manager.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Karel Z
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Matrox Dock Future upgrade Reply with quote

Hello.
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for criticism, but I am long-time user of Matrox products (RT2000, RTX100, MXO2 MAX).
Until now I have been using PC, recently I have bought Apple MacBook Pro. Main reason for buying MXO2 was compatibility with both platforms.
MacBook Pro Retina is powerfull enough for handling videos, but I need lot of connections to peripherials.
I still have "old time", but very good Canon 3chip HDV cameras XHA1, XLH1A- so I need FireWire. In my studio setup I use M-Audio FireWire cards - ProjectMix, LightBridge... So I need another FireWire (or FireWire again).
Of course I can use Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, but it takes one of only 2 thunderbolts... So that is why I miss FireWire.
My original studio setup is 2x24" IPS panels for extended desktop editing + FullHD (1920x1080) TV. From desktop computer I use dual output of graphic card and MXO2 HDMI for TV monitor.
When I need to connect 2 monitors I can use MacBook HDMI output which can send 1920x1200 which is native resolution of most bigger HD computer displays. HDMI output of MXO2 goes to HD TV. I need another 1920x1200 output for second display - I have expected to use HDMI output of Matrox Dock - but this is only 1920x1080. It is funny - in old days all Matrox users had complaints about 1920x1200 resolution of RTX100 DVI output not usable for most HD TV and now we have opposite problem...
There are of course adapters - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI - but it is another Thunderbolt...
Only devices with 2 thunderbolts are external disks or expensive PCI-E enclosures - but in that case I would not need Matrox Deck (I could put PCI-e Host adapter into enclosure).
So if need to save one thunderbolt with Deck - I would need either FireWire port on Deck or another Thunderbolt on Deck or HDMI with 1920x1200 or instead of HDMI just mini DisplayPort.
Without that I can use just Thunderbolt to Host Matrox Adapter with the same result for me.
USB 3 on Deck doesn?t solve my problem Sad Until there is no USB3 to FireWire adapter...
Karel (karel@studio-r.cz)
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of it Karel Z, it sounds like you used an Rtx2 with DVI out.

The days of firewire is gone. New computers - mac/pc don't have firewire ports anymore. The editing world has moved tapeless.

For other clients which are stuck between both worlds, they have their old trusty edit system, like an Rtx2 for inputs/outputs and firewire, and a newer more powerful system for tapeless sessions. They simply move files between computers via network or external hard drives.

If I had your new setup I would use a thunderbolt to firewire converter, capture what I needed, remove the converter when all footage is captured. Plug back the MXO2, which has all the other inputs/outputs for my real edit session.

Regards

Vic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Dock All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam