Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feedback on MXO 2.1.7 driver with ATI 4870 on current MacPro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwoff
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Feedback on MXO 2.1.7 driver with ATI 4870 on current MacPro Reply with quote

I have installed this driver and it generally seems to work very well in FCS3. However, there is an issue with DVCPro HD footage not displaying properly in Color 1.5.1. The aspect ratio displays incorrectly for both 1080 and 720 DVCPro HD 23.98p footage--the image is distorted, appearing severely stretched horizontally. The same footage displays perfectly in Final Cut Pro 7.0.1, however.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kaku Ito
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello kwoff,

I second for your finding, if you choose the DVCPRO HD video output selection then it gets stretched. However, I think Color is already processing the DVCPROHD to work as fullHD, 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720, you can simply choose full HD selections with uncompressed output to work within Color. Then render selections should be full raster Prores422HQ or uncompressed 8bit. So, when you go back to FCP by sending to FCP, you should change the video output selection to be uncompressed full HD selections instead of DVCPROHD. Give it a try.
kwoff
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I have found that uncompressed 720p plays back fine in Color with the 2.1.7 beta, even from a DVCPro HD 1080p24 timeline and is generally good enough, but when I try to play back uncompressed 1080 from a DVCPro HD 1080 timeline, there are dropped frames and slower than acceptable playback.

The settings for DVCPro HD 1080 (which can't be changed in the settings tab) are, as you suggested, full 1080 x 1920, which may well be the problem with the display of this codec in Color. This distortion did not seem to happen in Color with earlier versions of MXO driver, so I would think it might be possible to fix it in the final version of this driver.

All in all, though, this seems to be a pretty solid beta driver.

Kevin
Kaku Ito
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Great observation. I get mixed up how they were with all of these version. So good for Matrox to know about that.
cegelfand
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded to 10.6.3 today on my early 2008 octo core Mac Pro with an ATi 4870, using FCS 3 and the 2.1.7 beta actually makes an already defunct MXO system even less functional. 2.1.6 I could get an image, now it tells me available hardware cannot be found.

C'mon guys- I've had to go through two projects now without being able to use a $1000 device. Isn't there a way to make it work?
Rickover
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try uninstalling then reinstalling the driver, cegelfand. I came across this "hardware cannot be found" message when I installed the new driver on top of the old one.
cegelfand
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- thanks! That totally worked. Dunno why, but whatever works!
gregotoole
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: 2.1.7 on with Radeon x1900 Reply with quote

hey all
I'm working on a system with 10.6.3...i just installed the new beta driver and cant seem to get the matrox to work with my prores 1920x1080 23.98 sequence. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
greg
matchframe
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the same problem as cegelfend.

Upgraded to 10.6.3 and preference panel does not see the box.
rjustice
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: MXO Crashing PP4 in mastering mode Reply with quote

Can the MXO only be used with FCP and Avid and Adobe products in Mastering Mode? I'm trying to use ProPresenter 4 (4.0.Cool, iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Ram, OSX 10.6.3, MXO 2.1.7. When I enable the output device as the MXO (tried multiple settings), it crashes PP4. It won't load (crashes on load) once the output device is set. I get QTVideo begin failures and Harware Access Failed messages.

MXO works fine in Presentation Mode, but I need to send 720P out the SDI while sending NTSC out the analog ports.

Or is there a way to down-convert in Presentation Mode?

Thanks.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjustice,

As listed in the user guide, 'Mastering mode' is for video editors using QuickTime-based applications such as Final Cut Pro.

Presentation mode mirrors the contents of your MXO desktop
(secondary display) and outputs it as high-quality video.

Please see page 8 of the user guide regarding simultaneous video output combinations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: