Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon EOS 5DmkII 30fps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubledrop
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Canon EOS 5DmkII 30fps Reply with quote

Hi, I'm running the original MXO with s/w 2.1.3.00 as the later versions won't work on my G5 (PPC) OS 10.4.11

I've started editing full HD 1920x1080p footage from my 5DmkII in FCP using ProRes codec. All good. However there are no 30fps Video Playback MXO presets to display via command-f12.

Is there any work around known?

Regards, David
jimtron
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to post the same question. I noticed there's a "MXO Uncompressed 8-bit 1080p30" setting, but when selecting this in easy setup I noitce that this if for 29.97. AFAIK, the 5D is true 30, not 29.97.

Assuming that 5D footage will work with the MXO, it would be great to know:

1) which setting to use in Easy Setup
2) which setting to use for Video Playback
3) in the MXO control panel, which of the three 1080 settings should be used?

If 5D footage is not compatible with MXO, what format is recommended to convert it to?

By the way, for other 5D users, the MXO instructions say that the sequence must have 48K audio, so keep that in mind (the camera records audio at 44.1). [/list]
jimtron
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to include: I'm using 2.1.5.02 MXO beta on OS X 10.6.2, on a Mac Pro; FCP 6.06.
jimtron
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had searched all forums here for "5D" and "5DMII," but for some reason this thread--which I just stumbled upon--didn't come up in a search:

http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=2443
Where a mod says:

Quote:
The MXO does not curently support "true" 30P. I am moving this thread to the "Product Feature Enhancements" section of the forum so that this can possibly be implemented in a future release.

Regards

Peter

That's a drag as the 5D is my main video camera...
Crying or Very sad

p.s. am I missing something, or is there no way to edit posts?
ostrad
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Canon EOS 5DmkII 30fps Reply with quote

[quote="doubledrop"]Hi, I'm running the original MXO with s/w 2.1.3.00 as the later versions won't work on my G5 (PPC) OS 10.4.11

I've started editing full HD 1920x1080p footage from my 5DmkII in FCP using ProRes codec. All good. However there are no 30fps Video Playback MXO presets to display via command-f12.

Is there any work around known?

YES there is!!

Conform your footage (prores) in cinema tools to 29.97 and it runs perfect with MXO. I use the MXO2 mini by the way.

Cheers
Olaf
doubledrop
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the solution, works for me.

Clearly I need a more powerful Mac, my G5 is 6 years old and stutters playing back 1920x1080 at 1:1
ostrad
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubledrop wrote:
Thanks a lot for the solution, works for me.

Clearly I need a more powerful Mac, my G5 is 6 years old and stutters playing back 1920x1080 at 1:1

Good!
Only took me 2 hours to find that workaround.
Because FCP doesn't let you change the editing time base from 30p to 29.97. Weird.

But - actually it is even easier than the cinema tools version:

Just create a new FCP sequence with settings to 29.97 ProRes,
before you dump any footage into the timeline.
Then you drop your whole old 30p timeline (clips/edit) into the new empty 29.97 timeline.
When FCP asks you if you want to change the settings to the clip settings you are moving, you have to click NO!

After that - everything shows up nicely on your monitor!
Whoohoo.

G5? Yeah its time to move on. My 2.26 8-core (4GB Ram) works perfect.

All the best
olaf
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Olaf

I don't work with 5D footage personally but am thinking it would probably better for you to conform your footage as before rather than use your new even easier method ... when you drop the 30p footage in a 29.97 timeline you'll end up with FCP doing a rather iffy frame rate conversion which may result in occasional skipped and/or duplicated frames. FCP has never been good at handling frame rate conversions in the timeline. If you conform the 30p footage to 29.97 in Cinema Tools first, then the recorded frames are unchanged (no skips, doubling or interpolation) only the timebase is adjusted so that your footage will run just that tiny bit slower.

Hope it helps
Andy
ostrad
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Mees wrote:
Hey Olaf

I don't work with 5D footage personally but am thinking it would probably better for you to conform your footage as before rather than use your new even easier method ... when you drop the 30p footage in a 29.97 timeline you'll end up with FCP doing a rather iffy frame rate conversion which may result in occasional skipped and/or duplicated frames. FCP has never been good at handling frame rate conversions in the timeline. If you conform the 30p footage to 29.97 in Cinema Tools first, then the recorded frames are unchanged (no skips, doubling or interpolation) only the timebase is adjusted so that your footage will run just that tiny bit slower.

Hope it helps
Andy

Hi Andy,

thanks for the note!
Very helpful - as FCP can be a pain in the b*** sometimes.
I didn't see any funny skips yet but will check this issue a little closer.
Fortunately it is not a big deal to conform the footage in Cinema tools,
so what the heck, hey? Smile

Thanks again!

Olaf
doubledrop
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would using Cinema Tools to convert 30 to 29.97 then cause audio sync to be lost if recording double system (sound on a Zoom H4N)?

If the realtime of video has been slowed down ever so slightly, perhaps we would need to slow down the audio to the same amount?

Of course when Canon give us a firmware update all this could be a thing of the past.
doubledrop
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update any other 5D users - the Canon firmware has been unofficailly announced for mid-march and inlcudes 24p 25p so this will no longer be an issue
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you can't wait then you can indeed play with the double system sound sample rate in order to create the same .99% slow down in order to maintain sync ... here's a useful app: http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent.htm
doubledrop
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, that's interesting, kind of like Cinema Tools for audio.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dd, the credit for finding that little gem isn't mine, I picked up the link to the software the other day from Oliver Peters' excellent blog ... as you note, the new firmware should take a lot of the pain out of 5D workflows but I suspect theres still some good tips in his blog post may make it worth the read for anyone working with 5D footage in FCP post:

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/easy-canon-5d-post-round-ii-updated/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: