Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gamma shift on video output FCP/Apple Color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intramhd
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: gamma shift on video output FCP/Apple Color Reply with quote

hi,

with the MXO2 mini, working with uncompressed 8bits files, I notice a gamma shift on video output between :
FCP (6.0.6) and Apple Color (1.0.4).

does anyone noticed that before or/and have a solution ?

thx

mhd
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mhd,

Is this gamma difference when you export a file from FCP compared to exporting that same file from Color?

Is it when outputting to a monitor from FCP compared to outputting to a monitor from Color?

What output are you using to compare the FCP output to the Color output?

Did you calibrate the display as per the MXO2 User Guide? There is an inherent OSX 10.5.x issue with gamma so make sure you calibrate with a 2.2 gamma.

You can also try the following suggestion I found on this user forum;

Quote:
To fix the gamma shift when previewing footage in QT, run QT preferences, check "Enable Final Cut Studio Color Compatibililty". This allows you to preview footage at 2.2 (standard video gamma) rather than 1.8 (default mac gamma).

What version of the MXO2 Mini drivers are you working with? What's the firmware version shown in Apple>System Preferences>Matrox MXO2>Info?

Regards,
Matthew
intramhd
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

Quote:

Is it when outputting to a monitor from FCP compared to outputting to a monitor from Color?

I tryed whith the matrox color bar and compare the 2 sequences with the waveform in FCP. First seq regular in FCP. Second seq sent back from color (rendered in original format, without broadcast safe, no grade of course). The waveform shift a litlle down.

comparing from soft to soft output, without rendering : Shadows are darker in color than FCP
Hightlight look lighter in color than FCP

I use the same output setting in both soft : pal yuv 8bits

Quote:

What output are you using to compare the FCP output to the Color output?

I use the same composite output of the matrox mini on the same CRT monitor (by switch from a soft to an other), and it's visible.

Quote:

What version of the MXO2 Mini drivers are you working with? What's the firmware version shown in Apple>System Preferences>Matrox MXO2>Info?

FW 7.7
soft 1,8,1,0009

I also note that sometimes the Matrox mini "disconnectet" when sending back form color to FCP.

Regards,

mhd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: