Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MXO simply does not work for me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmcquaid
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: MXO simply does not work for me Reply with quote

In January I received a hardware replacement for my MXO which had problems. However, as I begin a major edit cycle after some distraction, the MXO simple does not work reliably for me at all - the problems are recurring (software, one assumes now).

First, the system specs:
OS 5.6 / 2x3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon
4GB RAM / 4 x 1TB disk
30"ACD as main display / 23" ACD attached to MXO
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
FCstudio / FCP 6.0.5
Quicktime v 7.6 (472) (from player)
Footage originated on Sony EX1 as 1080 24p
Using MXO preset 1080 23.98 / YUV
MXO Version 2.1.4.05
Prod ID 8003
Board ID: 2
Serial number BG54751
Firmware revision 21
Microcontroller: 2.8
temp about 58 Celsius

Description of the problem.
After a long period of being unplugged, the MXO worked wonderfully yesterday. Today, upon booting FCP, same project I was working on, the following happens.
1) display attached to MXO goes black and stays black [works fine in normal desktop or applications mode]

2) Both canvas and viewer in FCP freeze after a short time (2 seconds?).

3) Nothing works to remedy this: refresh external AV / select a different preset (RGB then back to YUV) etc.

FIRST QUESTION: Is this a true statement?
Matrox_Support_Niven / PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote
"the last certified version of QT was 7.5.5/OS X 10.5.5/ FCP 6.04."

Some of my problems with MXO can be viewed late in my earlier post:
http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=1406

Unfortunately, the product does not work on my Macintosh. I have nothing exotic installed. When I run FCP NO other applications are running, typically.

This is very very disappointing.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jmcquaid,

I'm running through a few tests on my end and will update you via phone or email as well as this thread when they're done.

Regards,
Matthew
jmcquaid
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Monday morning status Reply with quote

Doesn't work Monday morning - black screen, frozen playback.

Power cycling the MXO restores function. but for how long, I have no idea; clearly only a day or two at the most.

More in my email to support via this board.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This topic is currently being resolved outside of this thread and I will update everyone when we have come to a conclusion.

Regards,
Matthew
stevengladney
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmcquaid,

Are you still having this issue? I've had my Matrox for a year now, and never had a problem. Now, I just started having the exact same issue you're describing just out of the blue. Any remedy to this?

Thanks,
Steven
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the MXO drivers? While working with jmcquaid this is the first solution we found, which would sometimes last a few days and others not. Maybe it will last longer in your case.

Other then this, what proves to be a much faster solution is to unplug the AC power adapter from the MXO, wait a few seconds and reconnect it. Give the computer a chance to recognize the MXO and then you should be good to go.

In my testing here on both an iMAC and a Macbook Pro, I was never able to reproduce this behavior. The most I had to do was turn external video off and then back on, or restart FCP.

Regards,
Matthew
jmcquaid
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Steven - my solutions Reply with quote

There is no factory solution for this condition as they are unable to recreate it in the lab.

I have found that power cycling the MXO always works to restore function. If the MXO is not used (other than as a pass-thru desktop mirror) for more than about 48 hours, it hangs in the dysfunctional mode I have described. But if I use it every day, it seems okay.

I have never had it work properly. Can you find any changes you made in your setup around the time the problem came on? FCP version? apple software update? Do you use the MXO every day?

Jim
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Like I mentioned in our PMs, I'll test this 48-hour concept over the weekend and update you on it next week.

Regards,
Matthew
jmcquaid
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Current status of this problem Reply with quote

FYI for anyone with the same problem or following this issue: I am functioning using the simple workaround of power cycling the MXO. The problem recurs after 24 to 48 hours without being using with FCP. Power cycling the MXO at that time restores it to the expected operation.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I did not see this issue Monday morning after leaving our MXO system on sleep for the weekend. I am sure it went 48 hours straight without being disturbed as nobody comes through the Tech Support area on the weekend.

Please rest assured that we are continuing to try different tests on our end and I will update you if we find anything.

Regards,
Matthew
griffeyt53
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Same behavior Reply with quote

I experience the same behavior. When it runs a few days without using FCP, the next time I try to use it, I must either reinstall the drivers or as the thread says, disconnect the power for a few seconds and plug it back in.

My config is a MacPro 16GB Ram, GeForce 8800 GT and an ACD. Using the 2.1.4.05 drivers.

Thanks!
TG
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

We have done some testing on a MacPro and have not yet been able to reproduce this issue. We are continuing with some more testing and I will update everyone with any progress.

Regards,
Matthew
DCP
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the same problem. Whenever I try to do video playback in FCP I get the black screen with maybe 2 seconds of audio and then it stops. The MXO is working otherwise in passthrough mode. I've tried numerous settings (to see if anything has changed; I'm using two different codecs on two different sequences - MXO DVCPRO HD 23.98 YUV (for DVCPRO HD) and MXO Uncompressed 1280x720 YUV (for Cineform 1280x720) but the result is the same.

I never had this problem before and I've shut the unit off but I'm not seeing any changes. I will also try to reinstall the drivers.

My system:

MacPro 3.2 Octocore with 18GB ram
FCP 6.0.5 with Mac OSX 10.5.6 (Quicktime 7.6)

I'll be following along with this thread to see if there any any solutions.

Again, up until about 2 weeks ago, the MXO behaved as it should.

Todd
jmcquaid
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: "shut the unit off" Reply with quote

Are you pulling the USB or the USB + the AC power? I find that pulling the USB is not enough to reset the software, you have to pull the AC also.

Jim

p.s. I find that the "maybe two seconds" of video is exactly FIVE frames, but the audio continues longer...

DCP wrote:
I now have the same problem. Whenever I try to do video playback in FCP I get the black screen with maybe 2 seconds of audio and then it stops. The MXO is working otherwise in passthrough mode. I've tried numerous settings (to see if anything has changed; I'm using two different codecs on two different sequences - MXO DVCPRO HD 23.98 YUV (for DVCPRO HD) and MXO Uncompressed 1280x720 YUV (for Cineform 1280x720) but the result is the same.

I never had this problem before and I've shut the unit off but I'm not seeing any changes. I will also try to reinstall the drivers.

My system:

Todd
DCP
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "shut the unit off" Reply with quote

jmcquaid wrote:
Are you pulling the USB or the USB + the AC power? I find that pulling the USB is not enough to reset the software, you have to pull the AC also.

Jim

p.s. I find that the "maybe two seconds" of video is exactly FIVE frames, but the audio continues longer...

DCP wrote:

My system:

Todd

I haven't actually unplugged the MXO (I've turned the power off), but I will try unplugging the unit as well as the USB. As far as the "Maybe two seconds": I'm getting absolutely no video playback (pure black screen) with 2 seconds of audio playback, then silence until I disengage the MXO.

Todd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: