Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capture 1080 via HDMI to MacBook Pro using ProRes thru Mini?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conrad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Capture 1080 via HDMI to MacBook Pro using ProRes thru Mini? Reply with quote

If I buy a Mini, will I be able to capture full 1920 X 1080 29.97 from an HDMI camcorder's output, to FinalCut Pro on a MacBook Pro (laptop) without dropping frames? I want to use ProRes, (LT) at least.
What is the most restrictive link in the process? The laptops processor, or the hard drive?
Should I obtain a FW800 Raid like a G-RAID?
Would the same material be able to play back thru the Mini's HDMI out without dropped frames?
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Conrad and thank you for your interest in Matrox Products. We will need to find out what kind of MacBook Pro are using to be able to answer your question fully. The bottleneck for you will be the processor in the MacBook Pro you are using as ProRes is CPU intensive. Storage wise your suggestion of using a G-RAID over firewire 800 will be enough to capture ProRes (LT). We can capture Prores LT and even ProRes 422 on later model MacBook Pro's but we should find out what model you are using first. Let us know your system and we will follow up with any other questions you have.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Conrad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Capture 1080 via HDMI to MacBook Pro using ProRes thru Mini? Reply with quote

OK - details; I have a quad-core MacPro from 2008 and a PowerBook G4. I use a BlackMagic Design Intensity Pro card in my MacPro for all my video capture. I especially use it for HDMI input and HDMI monitoring on a TV. All is fine there. But it's a hassle to bounce between the laptop which can only do a few things, and be restricted to my desktop for all my editing (and other high-end stuff). I would like to have one portable computer that can do it all.
I am considering ditching both my laptop AND my desktop for just a new MacBook Pro laptop. I have not been able to do that before because a laptop could not do all I need. But now, as they get more powerful, I'm looking into the possibility that the time has come.
So the laptop would be a brand new 17" MacBook Pro.
But it is paramount that it would not drop frames on input (or while editing, on output).
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Conrad and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. We received your post this morning but I do not think we will have a response for you today. We will get an answer to you as soon as possible.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Conrad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Capture 1080 via HDMI to MacBook Pro using ProRes thru Mini? Reply with quote

Update; For what it's worth, I've been scouring the Apple website for something that would help me answer this question. If you go to the main page for Final Cut Studio, then click on the "Tech Specs" button (top right, next to the "Buy Now" button), then scroll down to the Final Cut Pro section, there is a heading called "Supported Formats and I/O*". If you scroll down to find out what the asterisk is for, you will find among the small print:

*Some features require additional hardware and software. Capturing HD resolution video using the Apple ProRes format requires a Mac Pro with an Intel processor...

So, according to Apple, a MacBook Pro will not capture HD using ProRes, only a MacPro will do it. However, I would still like to hear YOUR answer. They may be just covering their tracks.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Conrad
A MXO2 user here. Just wanted to note, for what its worth, that I can capture and play back ProRes 422 LT at HD resolutions on my older 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with no issues at all. With one of the newer dual core i5/i7 MacBook Pro's you have the advantage of "hyper-threading", meaning these processors allow each core to process 2 threads at once, effectively providing 4 virtual cores in these laptops. With 4 cores you should be able to handle full ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ encoding/decoding without dropped frames.
Hope it helps
Andy
Conrad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Capture 1080 via HDMI to MacBook Pro using ProRes thru Mini? Reply with quote

Andy, thank you for your help. May I get some clarification? When you said capture and playback HD, was it 720p? 1080i?
Conrad.
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Just to add with a 17 inch i7 at 2.66 GHZ and 4 gigs of RAM we were able to capture to ProRes 422 without any dropped frames. 422 HQ is still borderline and can drop frames depending on the complexity of the footage being captured. This means that for sure you will be able to capture and Playback ProRes LT and even go one step higher up to ProRes 422.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Conrad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Capture 1080 via HDMI to MacBook Pro using ProRes thru Mini? Reply with quote

Hello, Just to add with a 17 inch i7 at 2.66 GHZ and 4 gigs of RAM we were able to capture to ProRes 422 without any dropped frames. 422 HQ is still borderline and can drop frames depending on the complexity of the footage being captured. This means that for sure you will be able to capture and Playback ProRes LT and even go one step higher up to ProRes 422.

JD, just for clarification: was that 1080i?
Were you also able play back without dropping frames?

Pardon me for being so particular, but I don't want to spend $5,000 + and not be able to do what I need.
Thanks, Conrad.
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was done at 1080i 29.97 fps

JD
Customer Care
Conrad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Capture 1080 via HDMI to MacBook Pro using ProRes thru Mini? Reply with quote

Thank you !!!
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, if there is anything else you can use the forum or email us directly at customer_care@matrox.com

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Jarm
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Do I have the Juice Reply with quote

Hi

I'm looking to buy a matrox MX02 mini to capture HDMI from a canon
550D DSLR. I'll be looking to use my MacBook Pro 17" 2.8Ghz Core 2
Duo, 4GB ram, with a USB2 Raid 0 external Harddrive to capture onto.

I have both Premiere CS5 and FinalCut 6.0.6. or if needed CS4

My Question is: Does my laptop have enough processing power to handle
the Uncompressed signal coming from the Matrox MX02 Mini. Is this the
best solution. I have read many forums and websites for info on what
format is best to capture in, Apple ProRes 422 LT or HQ, I'm looking
for a live onsite capture solution for my DSLR.

I look forward to your rapid, I have a few hours to make this purchase
before needing to test the unit onsite.
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. First of all I see a bottleneck for you by using a USB external hard drive. It will not be able to ingest the wealth of video you are capturing with any type of reasonable speed. Do you need to use HD or LT? If not there is a Matrox Apple ProRes 422 1080 capture option that will be easier on your computer and easier to edit. I will run this by our product manager and see what his response is.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. Most laptops will not have enough bandwidth over USB 2 to capture uncompressed video. On that laptop you can get away with capturing to ProRes LT but we would recommend going with firewire 800 storage because there is more bandwidth when compared to USB 2.0. We noticed that you said you are running with Final Cut Pro 6.06. ProRes LT was only introduced with Final cut Pro 7 so you would also need to upgrade to that version.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam