Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended disc bandwidth for Capture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan J
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Recommended disc bandwidth for Capture Reply with quote

One thing I've not seem to find is information on what is suggested disk bandwidth for the various capture modes for an MX02 system.

Obviously SD needs less bandwidth than HD.... I've got multiple drives and not knowing what is needed for the various capture modes, I don't know how close I am to a problem I may be based on capture modes and bandwidth...

If there is any documentation indicating suggested disk bandwidth based on bit rate, capture mode and video format, I'd like to know about it, for future reference...

Happy Holidays!!!!
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended disc bandwidth for Capture Reply with quote

Hi Jan,

If using 8 or 10-bit UNCOMPRESSED video, that would require a drive array of 4 or more drives in a RAID configuration. But most folks don't need that and use compressed video, which would be the Matrox MPEG-2 I-Frame or I-Frame HD codecs. These are intra-frame 4:2:2 codecs and look good.

For SD, the default is 25mbps, the same as DV, HDV, AVCHD cameras use natively. For HD, that starts at 100mbps and can be increased up to 300mbps, but I've always been happy with the default.

So either way, any 7200rpm SATA drive should be more than capable of consistent capture/playback using compressed (never had any issue in all my years with various Matrox products). If using an external drive, do not use USB 2.0, too slow! Stick with eSATA or USB 3.0, or even Firewire 800.

For internal drives, while a single dedicated 7200rpm drive will work, many users like to put two drives into a RAID 0, which basically doubles the performance and may be helpful when editing multi-layer video, faster exports, etc.

If choosing a 7200rpm SATA drive, NEVER use "Green" drives, they are all about power savings, and you want performance. Good choices would be a WD Caviar Black or Seagate Barracuda for instance, with 6Gbps SATA and 64mb cache.

In Windows, turn of "Indexing" on any video drives for better performance

Hope this info is helpful

Regards,

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Jan J wrote:
One thing I've not seem to find is information on what is suggested disk bandwidth for the various capture modes for an MX02 system.

Obviously SD needs less bandwidth than HD.... I've got multiple drives and not knowing what is needed for the various capture modes, I don't know how close I am to a problem I may be based on capture modes and bandwidth...

If there is any documentation indicating suggested disk bandwidth based on bit rate, capture mode and video format, I'd like to know about it, for future reference...

Happy Holidays!!!!
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this online - http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/mxo2/design/storage/

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your great feedback Jeff. Jan J, please let us know if you need further assistance.

I will move the posting to our General Discussion section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: