Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matrox MXO2 LE- 24p Playback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John_26
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Matrox MXO2 LE- 24p Playback Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm on the verge of purchasing a Matrox MX02 LE.

I have a few questions-

Regarding the recommended monitor by the pre- sales and Matrox support team through out this forum. Which is HP ZR2440W, this is fine in the sense it can display 1:1 pixel mapping and has a display resolution of 1920 x 1200. Will be able to show 1920 x 1080 with black bars at the top and bottom. The 1920 x 1080 is shown at 60Hz according to spec sheet of this monitor.

See here for spec sheet-

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14145_na/14145_na.pdf

This is no good for video which is shot at 23.98 / 24 Hz, when you view this from the timeline this is going to cause distortion as the monitor isn't made to show this content. How does Matrox get round showing content perfectly on this monitor? Or any monitor which doesn't support 24p?

The only thing I can think of is going for an expensive monitor like Eizo monitor which supports 24 Hz-

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg246/index.html

"1080/24p Playback

Film is usually shot at 24 frames/second and looks unnatural when played back on a typical monitor that displays 60 frames/second. The HDMI input supports a video signal display rate of 1080/24p frames-per-second so you can edit the film as it was meant to be viewed."

Then this takes it out of the 'cheap' category list as this monitor is nearly ?1500, it still supports 1:1 pixel mapping and has added bonus of hardware calibration. After hardware calibration, should be stored in monitor add Matrox MX02 LE into the equation using HDMI and adjust from Matrox software if necessary. This can be done with any other monitor which has hardware calibration, the problem is I haven't seen any with 24p playback.

My second question is-

If I purchase a 27 inch monitor which can support 1:1 mapping and 1920 x 1080. Which has a resolution of 2560 x 1440. This will give black bars top and bottom and at sides to view a 1920 x 1080. Once calibrated with Matrox software by viewing 1:1 mapping. Is there any reason why the picture could not be extended to full screen? By extending to full screen what impact would this have? Apart from not viewing the original 1:1 mapping, would the monitor be taken out of calibration? What if the monitor is hardware calibrated to start with then calibrated using Matrox software.

Thanks.
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. I am sorry for the late reply. I would like to say that we do not test monitors anymore for the simple fact that there are too many and we would need a team of users to just test monitors with all the different frame rates. We do however have a certain guideline that we suggest: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/windows/mxo2/system/monitors/. This monitor has a native resolution of 1920X1080 but it does not say if it scans or not. We do not want the monitor to change the video that the Matrox is sending it. That being said the Matrox MXO2 Family of products has a 10 bit hardware scaler http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_le_max/scaling/ which allows you to easily edit your video in a easier to workwith format.

To answer your second question anytime the screen is stretched you will lose the benifits of our calibration utility. You should be able to get a full (or close to full) image on a calibrated monitor even if the resolution is 2560X1440. Again as long as the image is not scaled, the mode will need to be set.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam