Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice on hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlosManuel
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: advice on hardware Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've read a few dozens of articles, forums and so on.
Some questions seem solved but others not yet.

First:
- I will edit with Premiere mainly from PAL (Digibeta) , HDV (captured via FireWire) and DSLR files (Nikon D800).
- I do a lot of color correction on the image.
- I do not do PIP on Premiere. The compositing is done on AE.
- Want to feed a SONY CRT for PAL (YUV or SDI) and a flat TV for HD (HDMI) - at the same time, if possible.

For audio post I use NUENDO most of the time (5.1 out).
Will start using Audition with time.

And, last but not least, I still use COMBUSTION 2008.
Y know, I know... but still works for me. And MXO2 has frame buffer for Combustion.

Questions:

- Do I Really need an HP Z620 with 2 XEON ???
An Intel board DX79SR with a i7-3930K isn't enough ??

I believe that when I have market for 4K I will have ????? for a brand new workstation!

- A Quadro K4000 has 768 CUDA and 3G DDR5.
A GTX 780 has_____2304 CUDA and 3G DDR5

What kind of difference do I will get from this 2 GPU boards?
How can 768 cores render faster than 2304 ?????

It's only drivers????

This is my major concern on the new PC.

The XEON/i7 and the GTX/Quadro.

Again, on this PC I will edit only HD and some 2K for DCP.

4K is in the far future. I have to work now.
And now is with PAL, HDV and DSLR.

Any input is Welcome.
Thank's a lot.

Carlos
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carlos and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. With regards to your inquiries; when it comes to our system requirements (for PC) we need to have the following configuration:

- Intel i7 2.67 GHz CPU or greater.
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Home Premium (64-bit) with Service Pack 1.
- 4 GB of RAM (8 GB is recommended).
- One free PCIe slot on a desktop computer to install the Matrox PCIe host adapter, or one free ExpressCard/34 slot on a laptop to install the Matrox PCIe host ExpressCard/34 adapter.

Carlos, I'll leave the floor open for others to pitch in with regards to GPU's since we do not have any requirements when it comes to graphics cards...(ie: its user / application specific)...

Best regards,
BC
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carlos,

I have a two-year old Core i7-2600 machine (4-core) and am very pleased with the HD editing performance for Premiere, and for exports from Adobe Media Encoder, all very fast for me.

Our company builds turnkey solutions for Premiere/Matrox, and any of the Core i7 processors work well for CS6. The 6-core 3930K processor is an excellent choice, with at least 16GB of RAM, or go 32GB if you can.

The Quadro cards seem better suited to scientific imaging/simulations. For best performance with GPU acceleration in Premiere, the GTX 660 Ti is very good, or if you want to spend more , a 680 will do nicely as well. Note that Premiere cannot utilize two GPUs, no benefit at all, stick with a single card.

The MXO2 units can be set up to simultaneously output HD and SD. For instance 1080i on the HDMI out while doing NTSC on the analog outs. So yes you can use an HDTV and CRT at the same time when editing. Realtime hardware up/down/cross converts available for capture and playback.

What do you use for color correction? Matrox provides their own plug-in that I really like, with the standard version 3-way color corrector plus an Advanced version that adds curves and more control. You also get Secondary Color Correction (think "Color Pass" filter) and Chroma/Luma Keying, plus customizable wipes transitions.

I can't speak about Combustion or Nuendo, but for Premiere/ MXO2 workflows, above recommendations will work nicely.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
www.sharbor.com
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am very happy with the Matrox colour correction tools which are way better than what comes standard with Adobe.

Especially so with the curves adjustment component which speaks more to me and my graphic designer mind. Within reason, I can get the colour adjustment or matching that I am after ... and I'm pretty dang picky.

Andrew
CarlosManuel
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

I'm 99% sure that I'll go for a i7 processor.
The Xeons are quite expensive and I will not do 4K or 5K soon...

autumn - will you go for the 3930K or the new 4770K ?

I've read that the new 4770K is not much fast than the "old" ones.
Do you have an opinion?

I need a MB with FireWire port (for my SONY Z1 camera)
Any advice?

Intel vs Asus vs Gigabyte

I was thinking on the GTX 780.
Any comments about the Titan ?

Carlos
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

We've not built our first 4770 system yet, scheduled for next week, so I have no hands-on experience with that processor. For the 3930k, we'd use the Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard, and just add a 1394 card to the system.

Unless you have a specific need for a high-end GPU for 3D rendering or heavy-duty After Effects work, Premiere will run nicely with a GTX 660 Ti card. Not much advantage to spending double or more on a bigger card for Premiere.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
CarlosManuel
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a proposal for my workstation.
Please give me some feedback.

I was considering a PC workstation with an internal Raid0 for video and an external unit (for ex. LaCie 5big Network 2) to store the captured files on a Raid5 before copy them to the internal Raid. Like that the original files are "always" safe.

In the meantime I've had this proposal:

-MB Gigabyte X79-UP4
-Intel? i7-3930K 3.20Ghz; skt 2011, 12mb Cache
-Cooler Master Hyper 412S
-Box Chenbro SR112 c/ 4 fan + 8 HDD Hot-Swap case
-Power supply Corsair HX 1050W
-32Gb Ram (4x 8Gb DDR3 1600 CL9)
-GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX780 OC 3GB DDR5 PCIE3
-LSI MegaRaid 9265 + Battery Backup Unit
-4 HDD 2 TB Toshiba Sata 3 - for Raid0
-4 HDD 3 TB Toshiba Sata 3 - for Raid5
- SSD 256 GB SATA 3 Serie 840 PRO - for C:

What's your opinion?
What to keep / change?

The concept behind is that an internal Raid controller is cheaper and Faster than an external unit. And this one (LSI MegaRaid 9265) seems to be a very good one.

Some doubts:

- This box has place for 8 HDD. One that can accommodate 10 or more?
(4 for Raid0 + 4 for Raid5 + C + D + E = 11 !)

- The SSD for C: should be a 500 GB ? I feel that a 256G may be short in a near future.

- My provider tells me to opt for Toshiba. To forget WD. Any opinion?

- And what about the MB?

- Do you feel that the GTX 780 OC is too much for my needs?
I believe that Adobe CC2 is coming and this PC will have to live until Adobe CC3... ... ...

Thanks in advance for any input.
Carlos
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: