Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MXO2 Mini and MBP - Audio drifts out of sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
info@dmsvideo.com
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: MXO2 Mini and MBP - Audio drifts out of sync Reply with quote

I have the MXO2 mini. Have used it on our Mac Pro without issues. Just bought the Matrox Express 34 card and have attempted to capture HD footage via an HDMI cable through our Mac Book Pro.

I have a MBP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 MB RAM.

Attached is a HDD via firewire 800. I have also tried the internal hdd.

When attempting to capture footage via Apple Pro Res 422 1080i 59.94 my audio goes terribly out of sync after 5 minutes of footage capture.

I changed over to DVCPRO HD codec and it's much better, but after about 30 minutes, the footage begins to drift out of sync as well.

I have the AJA IOHD and using the same system, same codecs, no issues with sync, no matter how long the footage is.

Can you suggest any fixes?

Thanks
Darren
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Since your MBP is only a dual core @ 2.4GHz it is not powerful enough to capture to Pro Res 1080i, so I'd recommend using DVCPRO HD, which you should be able to do on your MBP.

As for the audio drifting out of sync, did you see this only on capture or on capture and when playing back the captured clip? If you go back to your Mac Pro and capture at the same format from the same source as you did on the MBP, do you still have the issue?

Are you capturing your video at the same format as the source, or are you doing an up/downscale or frame rate conversion on capture or playback?

What version of the MXO2 drivers do you have installed? The latest drivers are currently 1.8.1. If you're not using these I suggest you update.

If you still have some problems after updating, can you please provide us with some additional system specs of the MBP such as OS, QT, FCP versions, etc?

Regards,
Matthew
info@dmsvideo.com
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Matthew and thanks for the response. Here's what I can tell you...

I did check the specs and was under the impression as long as I'm not using the HQ Pro-Rez setting, I could do this on my MacBook Pro. Oh well, DVCPRO HD it is.

I did see the drift on capture after time had elapsed. When played back on the FCP pro timeline, it's definitely there.

When I captured on the MacPro, no issues arise. Playback (sync) is perfect.

These are videos shot on a SONY HDR-HC9. Not sure if there's any upconversion going on? I'm sending the signal via the HDMI cable/port. Must be since the camera shoots in 1440 x 1080.

I do have 1.8.1 installed on both MBP and MacPro. Final Cut is 6.0.6. OS X 10.5.8. Latest Quicktime installed.

Like I said, I also have the AJA IOHD product and have no issues aside from size which is annoying when transporting it. Since I read I could connect the MX02 Mini to my MacPro and MacBook Pro, I was eager to try it out since I wouldn't have to lug the IOHD when I wanted to capture home material. The AJA product on the same laptop, same source, Pro Rez or DVCPRO HD codec results in perfect audio sync files!

We've ingested about 3 programs so far from XDCAM HD without any issues on the MX02 Mini and the MacPro. This is my first attempt with consumer HD footage, the MX02 Mini and the MacBook Pro. I bought the Express 34 card about 2 weeks after buying the MX02 Mini.

After trying everything I could think of, I brought the MX02 Mini back to our studio and connected it back to the MacPro. I connected the camera to the MX02 Mini via the HDMI cable and captured 2 tapes (62 minutes each) and both are synced perfectly! I even captured each tape as one long clip each.

On the MacBook Pro, I broke each tape up into 10 minute segments hoping audio would not drift. Unfortunately, each clip went out of sync almost instantly on playback!

I hate to ask, but could RAM be an issue? 2 MB instead of 4MB??? I don't want to have to invest more $$$ if I don't need to. The Express card already cost me over $125.00 and I feel that it's useless to me now. Do you offer refunds? Doubt the store would take it back.

HELP!!!
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

As per this link;

Quote:
4. Can Matrox MXO2 capture to ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ in real time?
Yes. On systems with a 2.4 GHz or faster Core2 Duo CPU you can capture to SD ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ in realtime. On systems with at least two Dual-Core or a Quad-Core 2.4 GHz or faster CPU you can also capture to HD ProRes422 and ProRes 422 HQ 720P or 1080i in real time.

From my understanding this means with a dual core you can capture SD Pro Res or SD Pro Res HQ, but to capture HD Pro Res or HD Pro Res HQ you need the equivalent of a quad-core.

Quote:
I did see the drift on capture after time had elapsed. When played back on the FCP pro timeline, it's definitely there.

By this do you mean that when you capture using the MXO2 on your MBP and simultaneously view the capture on the MXO2 output you see the lag, or the lag is only there when playing back a captured clip and previewing during capture is ok?

If you take the clip you captured on your Mac Pro (which we know has no problems) and try to play it back on your MBP does it stay in sync?

Have you tried using the XDCAM Transfer application Sony makes to copy the footage from your camera to your laptop and playing out these captured clips? This tapeless transfer should even be faster then realtime!

If you can bear with us for a little bit we can try and help you find the problem, or if you prefer to just return the PCIe card for your laptop you will need to contact the dealer you purchased it from.

Regards,
Matthew
info@dmsvideo.com
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During capture on the MBP I see that the capture window is definitely behind the camera after time elapses. On playback , the same problem occurs but the footage appears to be out of sync immediately.

I can live with DVCPRO HD codec so that's no problem.

Clips captured on the MacPro played back on the MBP are perfectly in sync. Problem only occurs when I try to capture HD footage on the MBP.

I prefer to keep the card and get it working rather than return it to be honest. The size of the Mini is appealing and is a great solution if I can get it to work.

Have other users with this MBP had success that you know of?

Do you think that 2MB of RAM is a problem? I even tried the MBP internal hdd as the storage device to eliminate the external hdd as the culprit. No good there either.

Happy New Year!
Darren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: