Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem displaying 720x576 full image undistorted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwynwyn
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Problem displaying 720x576 full image undistorted Reply with quote

I own the MXO2 Mini - software version 1.8.1.0009, firmware 7.7. NLE -FCP 6.0.6

When I use it with PAL YUV 8 Bit 720x576 it cuts off the far sides of the video as displayed in the FCP viewer (about 1.5 cm each side). I want to monitor the full image. I've tried changing the aspect ratio of the screen but this makes no difference. I use the 4:3 ratio of the screen as this seems logical. However when I tested this with a perfect square in the FCP viewer it is displayed incorrectly (shorter sides top and bottom) so clearly the output from the MXO is not correct. I use a Samsung T240HD TV to monitor. This doesn't make sense to me - to sum up, the FCP project is PAL 720x576, the matrox output is the same and the screen is set to 4:3 but the image is elongated and the sides cut off. If I revert back to using the DVI out and Digital Cinema Desktop preview (i.e. not via the MXO) it is displayed correctly.

Can anyone help?
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dwynwyn,

Make sure that you take a Matrox MXO2 Pal Easy Setup, under View> Video Playback>you should take a matching output option, then in Apple>System Preferences>MXO2>Video Output>set everything to main channel and follow application.

Finally, on your monitor I suggest using a 1:1 display option so the video doesn't get stretched.

Also, remember that the MXO2 outputs what you would see when you watch something on a TV, it doesn't output to the very edge of the image (ie the title safe area).

Regards,
Matthew
dwynwyn
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set the output to Matrox MXO2 Mini PAL YUV 8-bit 720x576 which is the same as the FCP sequence and set the settings you suggest in System Preferences. But the image is still vertically elongated. I understand what you mean about the safe area though it would be better if the MXO had the option to display the full image - can it not do this? But my main concern though is the distorted image which surely cannot be right?

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean by 1:1 display - my monitor is set to 4:3 aspect. The only other options available are all widescreen settings. I should emphasise that when I project the image on the same screen via the DVI out of the Mac the image is correctly proportioned (with the screen set to 4:3, though of course the image quality is not as good!) so it must be something about the way the MXO is talking to the HDTV?

Please advise.

Thank You
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dwynwyn,

To elaborate on what I mentioned about the 1:1 display mode, most monitors come with several display options. For example:

1:1 - this mode shows the video at it's actual size with black on all four sides if the screen has a higher resolution then the video being sent to it
aspect: this mode will stretch the video to fill as much of the screen as possible but keep the right aspect ratio.
fit: this mode will stretch the video to fill the whole screen even if it destroys the aspect ratio. For example, if this mode is set a circle will look more like an oval, or people will look fatter then they really are.

Do you maybe have a digital camera you could take a picture of your TV with when you connect the DVI output of the Mac to it compared to when you connect the MXO2 output?

Regards,
Matthew
dwynwyn
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matthew,

thanks for the response.

There is a screen fit option but it is not available (greyed out) when using the set up described above (oddly it is when I'm working in HD at 1920x1080 though I don't use it as at 16:9 the image is displayed correctly so no issues there) so I cannot use it anyway. I use what it describes as 4:3 which actually makes things thinner.

I can send photos - how do I do this?
dwynwyn
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK found out how to upload photos. The left image is via the MXO2 Mini and you can see the square is vertically elongated (the images are sideways - sorry!); here the screen is set to 4:3 (all the various wide settings elongate the image horizontally to varying degrees). The right is via DVI - the square is perfect (note contrary to what I said above, to display this correctly the screen must be set to Wide, oddly, but all proportions are then correct and the full image displayed.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dwynwyn,

Do you get the same results when connecting to a different monitor? I am not getting these results here when making a PAL standard sequence, importing a PAL standard clip and outputting as Matrox MXO2 Mini PAL.

What output are you using to connect to a TV?

Regards,
Matthew
dwynwyn
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it on a different monitor (Sony Bravia) and yes the image is now displayed correctly! So it must be the monitor. Annoying though as the Sony monitor is much lower quality. I use HDMI as I found with Component, the picture was quite poor.

Thanks for the help - it might be worth noting that in SD mode the Samsung monitor is NOT compatible with the MXO2 Mini.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dwynwyn,

Glad to hear the image is displayed correctly on another monitor. I'll forward this information to our SQA team so they can maybe look into any incompatibilities between the MXO2 and the Samsung T240HD, or Samsung monitors in general.

Regards,
Matthew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: