Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HD to SD conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGVideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: HD to SD conversion Reply with quote

MBP 2.8Ghz Version 10.5.8
FCP 7.0.1
Matrox mini mxo2 max
Sony GV-HD700 HDV Walkman

Editing sequence is 720p
Trying to do realtime HD to SD conversion.
Why when I playback on my timeline only the first frame is showing on my HDV walkman. Sound is ok.

Thanks
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe how your Sony GV-HD700 HDV Walkman is connected to your MXO2, what format you are working with in your timeline, your Sequence Settings, and your Video Playback setting ... and also your MXO2 System Preferences Video Output settings?

Best
Andy
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MGVideo,

Typically what you want to do is work in a full res timeline (in your case 720p), set external video to all frames, then set the video playback of FCP to the same as the timeline and then in Apple>System Preferences>Matrox MXO2>Video Output>set your desired output to SD. This will have our box do the downscale.

You may also need to run Easy Setup again (choosing a Matrox option), make a new sequence, drop a clip on there, say yes to the FCP message about incorrect settings, then try playing back the footage.

Finally, I suggest you update to the 1.8 MXO2 drivers if you have not already done so.

Regards,
Matthew
jmcnally
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: HD to SD conversion Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Matthew wrote:

Typically what you want to do is work in a full res timeline (in your case 720p), set external video to all frames, then set the video playback of FCP to the same as the timeline and then in Apple>System Preferences>Matrox MXO2>Video Output>set your desired output to SD. This will have our box do the downscale.

Just got my MX02LE and trying to figure out this same workflow. Okay so in your suggestion above, I've got a timeline in 720p and external video to all frames. Is this outputting to the connectors on the box? Is this just to output to an external recording unit?

Is there a scenario where it gives you an SD file to edit in a SD timeline? Or is this just a compressor function?

Max output to .264 isn't what I want to continue editing is that correct? I assume I want a ProRes file?
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jmcnally,

Sorry for the delay in responding. To address your questions...

Quote:
Okay so in your suggestion above, I've got a timeline in 720p and external video to all frames. Is this outputting to the connectors on the box? Is this just to output to an external recording unit?

Since your timeline is set to 720p, and you already set External video to all frames, remember that you also have to set View>Video Playback to your desired output. If you don't want to up/downscale on output, you'd take a 720p option here, then in Apple>System Preferences>Matrox MXO2>Video Output> you'd set everything to main channel and follow application.

If you do want to downscale or upscale on output, you'd change your output settings in Apple>System Preferences>Matrox MXO2>Video Output.

This won't affect your captured clip, just the output.

Quote:
Is there a scenario where it gives you an SD file to edit in a SD timeline? Or is this just a compressor function?

The only way you'll end up with an SD file to edit is if you capture as SD, or capture as HD and export it as an SD file.

Quote:
Max output to .264 isn't what I want to continue editing is that correct? I assume I want a ProRes file?

That's correct, you only want to export a .264 file when you're ready to bring the file into Toast or Encore to burn the file. You want to edit in another format like DVCPRO HD, XDCAM, or Pro Res as you said.
jmcnally
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one more question then regarding downconverting...

If the MAX only outputs .264 files and I want to downconvert HD to an SD file should I do that in compressor as normal. I don't see any Matrox presets that don't include the .264 conversion.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jmcnally,

I think the best thing for you is to try exporting from an HD FCP timeline as HD then using the Fast Encode or High Quality presets in Compressor to do the downscale and compare that to exporting from an HD FCP timeline as SD to see what gives you the best quality.

Personally, I think the best workflow is to export HD as HD, then use the Compressor presets to do any downscaling. This way you maintain all the HD detail for as long as possible.

Finally, the CompressHD allows you to export .264 and .mov files using H.264 compression. Just check what's listed in Inspector when you choose a preset and that should tell you.

Regards,
Matthew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: