Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expresscard not locking into slot on MacBookPro
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thxdave
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Not the only card doing this Reply with quote

Matrox's card isn't the only one with this issue. I think Apple screwed up by not adding a robust latching mechanism. I have three other ExpressCards; two for Firewire (Siig and Best Connectivity), a Belkin CF memory card adapter and my Matrox card. The Siig has NO lip on it and the other two have a fairly "abrupt" lip. The Matrox is the only one with the gentle "ramp" lip style. NONE of them lock into place in a solid manner. This is obviously a problem for video capture and I use the Firewire card for audio capture through an outboard audio interface (Metric Halo) so things get screwed up pretty quickly when my FW card pops out.

I guess Apple decided to spare us this inconvenience by getting rid of the ExpressCard slot except for the 17" MBP. Yep, that's progress!
jimmy
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Not the only card doing this Reply with quote

thxdave wrote:
The Siig has NO lip on it and the other two have a fairly "abrupt" lip. The Matrox is the only one with the gentle "ramp" lip style.

I'm reminded of that old line - "The thing I love about standards is that there are so many of them!"

Sigh.

Well, at least the Velcro trick shown upthread is a workaround win in the Matrox example. I'd glue the damned thing in if it weren't for the fact I have to yank it every time the MBP goes into REM sleep.

Another topic for another thread Smile

-jimmy
filmview
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: HD capture to MBP Reply with quote

JC,

Your FAQ's are not very clear:

Point 1 states:
Matrox MXO2 connects to a MacBook Pro...With Final Cut Pro, FireWire 800 storage lets you transfer up to 6 layers of DV, 8 layers of HDV 1080i, 2 layers of DVCPRO HD 1080i, 2 layers of ProRes 422 1080, or 2 layers of 10-bit uncompressed SD in real time

Anyone reading this would be led to believe you can capture 2 layers of DVCPRO or ProRes 422 HD to a MBP with a FW800 drive. This is obviously misleading because point 4 of the FAQ's goes on to state that you can't do what point 1 suggests you can.

In the interests of clear and transparent information without having to trawl around reading the fine print buried in FAQ's why don't you change the writing of your specs and FAQ's to more simply reflect what can be done on a laptop compared to what can be done on a desktop.

Keep up the firmware updates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: