Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon 5D Mark II (HMDI output) to MXO-2 (HDMI input)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thisiswells
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Canon 5D Mark II (HMDI output) to MXO-2 (HDMI input) Reply with quote

Simply put. It does not work. All I get are garbled images.

It appears the 5D Mark II's auto sensing HDMI output (which determines whether it is sending 480, 720, or 1080) is getting confused and doesn't know what to send.

Is there a way set up the MXO-2 so that it "tells" the 5D MkII which resolution to use? Or, if there is already a way to do this, please let me know what it is. I feel like I have tried every setting I could find that would help.

The reason for needing this capability is simple. The H264 files the camera captures to the CF cards are very difficult to edit. And, the existing file conversion software (such as Quicktime, Compressor, etc.) for converting the H-264 files to ProRes, do not handle the gamma correctly and throw out much usable data, crushing the blacks, and highlight detail.

The software developer "CineForm" has a fairly inexpensive file conversion tool that converts the H-264 files into ProRes, which preserves all the correct gamma, but it only outputs 1080p ProRes files (no cross conversion available) and these files are absolutely humongous!

My preference would be to capture the video directly off the camera, using the HDMI output, into the MXO-2, into the ProRes 720P codec.

Currently, I am unable to do this, because of the above "issue". Please let me know if there is a solution available.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thisiswells,

With the MXO2 there is no way to 'talk-back' to the camera to tell it what to output. Unfortunately we do not have this camera here so I can't say what menu settings to try adjusting, however with other Canon cameras I have worked with you normally have some kind of output options, like DV, HDV, or Auto, 25 or 29.97 frames, etc. Try looking through the menu to see if you have some similar options.

Then go to System Preferences>Matrox MXO2>A/V Input tab> and select the desired input.

If you don't have an option to output 720p and only say NTSC and 1920*1080p, with the 1.3 MXO2 drivers you can cross convert and upscale or downscale on capture. For more info on this see page 69 of the user guide where we give a table of what formats you can convert to.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Matthew
thisiswells
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That answers my question... Amazingly, there are no resolution output settings on this camera, just "on or off" and "NTSC or PAL" Ha!

I think maybe an HDMI to HD-SDI converter may be in my future...
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thisiswells,

Again this kind of adapter is not something we use in our tests. We also go directly from the source to the output. Whether that is the MXO2's HDMI output to an HDMI input on a TV, or the MXO2's SDI output to an SDI monitor.

I recommend you try the same as using an adapter introduces another variable as to why the system isn't working.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to start a new thread.

Regards,
Matthew
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: