Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capturing True 23.98psf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhampton01
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Capturing True 23.98psf Reply with quote

When will capturing true 23.98psf be available?

Currently the product has options for 1080i 59.94

This can allow you to capture 23.98 if it has a 3/2 pulldown in the signal creating 1080i 59.94 but then you have the painful time consuming task of removing the pulldown in cinema tools after.

Please do not respond with that the product all ready does capture true 23.98.

Is it possable for me to test a bete version of the update for this issue?

Other products such as AJA io, kona, xena, blackmagic all have this ability. I was lead to belive the MX02 did as well. Not to mention cross conversion, but that is less of a consern.
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the Matrox MXO2 user forum.

The Matrox MXO2 doesn't currently offer 23.98psf capture. We are currently evaluating implementing this feature in a future MXO2 driver release. Please provide more details about your workflow, including the make of the device and which input you will be using on the MXO2, so we can ensure the correct implementation of your desired workflow.

We encourage you to regularly visit our MXO user forums and Matrox site for updated information regarding 23.98psf capture on the MXO2.
Note that we will move this post to the Product Feature Enhancements section.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or if you'd like to become a Matrox MXO2 beta tester by contacting us at :
Matrox Customer Care
Tel: 1-800-361-4903 in North America, 1-514-822-6364 (worldwide)
Email: Matrox Customer Care

Kind regards,

JC
Customer Care Representative
Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd. - Corporate Headquarters
End-user video editing products group
jhampton01
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: MX02 True 23.98psf Reply with quote

I was lead to believe that the MX02 could already do 23.98psf captures. This is a huge disadvantage compared to your competitors.

23.98psf also referred to, as 24F is a standard in HD.

Any time I want to capture via a camera like the Sony Ex1, Sony Ex3, Cannon XlH1, Sony F900 and pretty much any other camera that also shoots HD 24p and has an HD-SDi port, I would need this feature.

If I had know that you folks were so far behind on this I would have went with the AJA IO HD.

I use HD decks such as the Panasonic D5, HDcam SR , Regular HDcam, and 23.98 is the most common workflow. Because that is what FILM runs at after it has been telecined, not to mention most pro HD cameras as they are trying to give a ?film look?

If you folks are not on the verge of cracking this problem I would like to get a refund.

I was lead to believe the MX02 had no problem with this STANDARD after watching a presentation by your regional account manager Gabriel Mitri. I specifically asked him about this and he specifically said yes there is no problem capturing 23.98psf.

Best regards
Jason
jhampton01
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: MX02 True 23.98psf Reply with quote

I was lead to believe that the MX02 could already do 23.98psf captures. This is a huge disadvantage compared to your competitors.

23.98psf also referred to, as 24F is a standard in HD.

Any time I want to capture via a camera like the Sony Ex1, Sony Ex3, Cannon XlH1, Sony F900 and pretty much any other camera that also shoots HD 24p and has an HD-SDi port, I would need this feature.

If I had know that you folks were so far behind on this I would have went with the AJA IO HD.

I use HD decks such as the Panasonic D5, HDcam SR , Regular HDcam, and 23.98 is the most common workflow. Because that is what FILM runs at after it has been telecined, not to mention most pro HD cameras as they are trying to give a ?film look?

If you folks are not on the verge of cracking this problem I would like to get a refund.

I was lead to believe the MX02 had no problem with this STANDARD after watching a presentation by your regional account manager Gabriel Mitri. I specifically asked him about this and he specifically said yes there is no problem capturing 23.98psf.

Best regards
Jason
thisiswells
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering...

Can the MXO-2 capture footage from the HD-SDI port on a Sony F-900 in "24p" mode, ie 1080p 23.98 fps? Does anyone know for sure if the output of that camera is interlaced 60i, with a 3:2 pulldown or actually true 23.98 fps?

If the Sony F-900 is really outputting 23.98 fps, without a 3:2 pulldown, and this device won't capture it, that's actually a pretty big deal.

This is actually a pretty important feature, guys! Smile
jhampton01
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: True 23.98 Reply with quote

Matrox just does not get it.

I am not sure about the F900. But the Sony Ex1 and Ex3 have both options with the most recent firmware. The Mx02 can NOT capture when the cameras are in True 23.98 mode, However it can capture when in 60i where the 23.98 has an induced 3:2 pulldown. This work flow is near useless though because editorial would have to spend countless hours removing the 3:2 with cinema tools. People constantly say to me why cant we just edit with the 3:2 it seems to work just fine. Those same people come back months lator spending thousands of dollars at THe Post Group eventually having to Remove the pulldown and re sync there audio. Its a night Mare dealing with mixed cadence issues, effects that think they are rendered @ 60i but need to be 23.98.
4thWallMXO2
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: 23.98 needed ASAP Reply with quote

I purchased the MXO2 as well thinking it would capture true 23.98 so I can do 24 fps capturing studio of green screen material for commercials and I do not want to deal with interlacing on the green screen compositing in that process as there just is not any reason when the hardware should just capture it the way it is. Please implement this feature into this "Professional" tool. I also thought I would be able to capture Pro Res on my mac book pro 2.33 laptop but this is not possible as it drops frames and ends capture, it does capture DVCproHD, but it is no where near the quality of 1080 24p ProRes HQ. These features are why I sold my Decklink HD extreme and moved to the MXO2. Of course the DL Extreme captured 23.976.

By the way, F900 with the right evertz box will output 10 bit 4:2:2 23.976.
jhampton01
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Amen Brother Reply with quote

I have the new Mac Book Pro 2.9GHZ 17" and a 2.8GHZ 15" they both drop frames when used with the MX02 capturing Proress.

The devil is truly in the details when it comes to this product.
jaredlorenz
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: 1080psf24 capture Reply with quote

I would like to echo the fact that this is a critical feature. Play out of PsF is less critical for us since delivery requirements are nearly always 59.94i or 50i, so the pulldown insertion is helpful on output.

If psf capture is not added in a near-future update we will be replacing the MXO2 with an Aja or MOTU product that does.

Currently the IOHD is used for 1080psf capture but we need another box available at peak times. Unfortunately the MXO2 is missing this important capability so it sits idle while jobs back up on the IO HD. Sad, but true.

FCS2
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8Ghz
Sony 2000 series HD and SD decks
wayne
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

A little sneak peek, but the next release will have this support.

Thanks for the feedback, and for helping make the product that much better.

Regards
W@
jhampton01
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hi wayne

I tested the 23.98 capture support. Source was Sony ex1 hd-sdi port spitting out 23.98 uncompressed to the mx02 via Mac pro 8core @ 1080psf 23.98 10bit uncompressed and it worked perfectly.

I have yet to test Proress HQ 23.98 720p capture on my new mac Book pro but I am looking foreword to the results. Proress HQ 23.98 720p capture from an uncompressed source yeilds better results than DVCpro HD 1080 23.98, because of the limitations in resolution in conjunction with data rate and codec efficiency Finally you folks have a viable portable product!

Any "chance" With a new firmware update we can capture Prores HQ 1080psf 23.98 capture on a new Mac book pro?
thisiswells
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be useful to me as well. Thanks for the continual improvements!
jhampton01
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: didnt work Reply with quote

MX02 Prores HQ Capture 720p 23.98psf on a new Mac book pro 2.9GHZ not reliable.

Just got done with a simo 4 camera Sony Ex1 Shoot. 2 cameras were shooting green screen so I decided to use the MX02 and the AJA IO HD to capture Proress HQ for those shots.

The AJA Io HD was running with an older Mac book pro 2.4GHZ with 2 GB ram.
The best I could squeeze out of it without dropping frames was 1080p 23.98 proress not HQ. I think this was due to the lack of ram and proc speed. I felt this was still a better option then the mpeg 4:2:0 from the cards when pulling a key.

The AJA performed great with the above specs and recorded clips up to 30minutes long without dropping frames.

The MX02 unfortunately proved unreliable and eventually had to be abandoned.

Symptoms: WHen shooting 720p 23.98 proress HQ to a new Mac book pro 2.93GHZ

Clips sometimes came out correct and sometimes without changing settings the clips were recorded at 12 frames per second.

We tried rebooting and cycling power on the mx02 but randomly 1 or 2 clips out of about every 5 were 12 frames per second. The next captured clip would sometimes be 23.98 and sometimes it wouldn't.

There didn't seem to be any pattern, it didn't matter if the clip was 1 minute, 10 or 15 minutes long, they all at times were susceptible to the 12fps problem. When getting info on the QT the metta data said the files were 23.98, however there was only movement on every other frame.

Final cut did not report any dropped frames even though the option was checked.

It was kind of embarrassing considering I had raved to the producers and director about how the Matrox MX02 was just as good as the AJA for half the price. In the end the MX02 was a paper weight
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProRes 422 HQ 720p24 isn't supported, only ProRes 422 720p24 ... your MBP's processing isn't beefy enough for ProRes 422 HQ 720p24, or indeed any other ProRes 422 (SQ or HQ) realtime compression at HD resolutions. Gonna need a quad core for that I'm afraid.
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Here is a direct link to the MXO2's FAQs.

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2/faqs/

Regards

Vic
Tech support
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: