Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matrox MXO2 Mini Max crash on encoding
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: It is NOT Windows 8 Reply with quote

sebasvideo wrote:
Matrox_Support_Joe wrote:
Thanks for taking the steps to get on a supported setup. Is this issue occurring only with one sequence or does it occur consistently with all sequences?

I haven't exported other sequences yet. I might export this one to an avi file and then try to export it to Matrox 264 using Media Encoder. Since over a year ago when I bought the MXO2 this is the only time it crashed while encoding, so it might be that the current drivers have a bug.

Please let us know your results with other video sequences. We currently have no open issues with exporting using MAX but if we can replicate your issue we will gladly forward it to engineering.
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I exported the sequence to AVI using the Matrox AVI at 8 bit uncompressed. This produced a 279 GB file, that plays fine using Windows Media Player, at least skipping to random places throughout its duration.

I dragged the file to Media Encoder and chose the Matrox 264 encoder, the 1080p 23.98 profile, only changing one setting, checking "Use Maximum render quality" which I do for all my encodes.

Again, this crashed at about 40%. So this is not a problem with even Premiere, it's clearly a problem with the Matrox drivers, in particular the mvdlivewindow.ax module, whatever it does.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: Adobe Media Encoder.exe
Application Version: 6.0.3.1
Application Timestamp: 50575647
Fault Module Name: mvdlivewindow.ax_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 52547f2b
Exception Offset: 000007fee1cb5981
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: d41d
Additional Information 2: d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e
Additional Information 3: f8d8
Additional Information 4: f8d89ff514e0d916539319ed4deea6b5

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it fail if you unselect the 'Use Maximum render quality' setting?

Do other sequences fail or just this particular one?

As a quick test, please start a new project and import just one video clip (non H.264 codec). Try an encode using MAX presets with default settings and let us know if it passes or fails.
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it fail if you unselect the 'Use Maximum render quality' setting?

Do other sequences fail or just this particular one?

As a quick test, please start a new project and import just one video clip (non H.264 codec). Try an encode using MAX presets with default settings and let us know if it passes or fails.

Yes, I tried encoding a second time with the plain 1080p 23.98fps Matrox setting without changing a single thing and it also crashed. Encoding the same file to the h.264 Adobe encoder finishes without a hitch.

I don't have other sequences I need to work on right now, but this clearly shows it's not a matter of the video source, because it's not even the sequence being exported from Premiere anymore. It's a file of about 50 minutes in plain avi matrox uncompressed 8 bit video. Can't get any simpler than that. Even if the original Premiere sequence had some weirdness going on that the Matrox 264 encoder didn't like, once it's exported to a simple avi file, that wouldn't be a factor anymore. It's a 1920x1080, 23.98 fps avi file.

It's very simple, these drivers are buggy, in particular the mvdlivewindow.ax module. I don't have any doubt about it, especially when this is a rather old project that I have exported months ago using the Matrox 264 encoder and it finished successfully.
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One clip would probably not crash it since this happens at around 40% of a long sequence. However, I started a new project and imported completely different clips, all from a Canon XF100 camera at 23.98 fps, threw them in a timeline with the Canon XF preset, tried to export it and again it crashed at 43%, from about an hour long timeline.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the additional details. As mentioned, we have had no issues with any other clients or when running our internal tests; so we want to try to resolve this issue for you. Would you be willing to send us your sequence so that we can try it here and see if we can replicate the behavior on your system? If so, I will send you our ftp upload information by private message.
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the additional details. As mentioned, we have had no issues with any other clients or when running our internal tests; so we want to try to resolve this issue for you. Would you be willing to send us your sequence so that we can try it here and see if we can replicate the behavior on your system? If so, I will send you our ftp upload information by private message.

I'm afraid I can't send any footage because either I would have to send personal footage, or I would have to set the camera to record for an hour, then download to the computer, then upload to your servers, which would take several hours because my upstream bandwidth is capped to 1.5 Mbps like it is for all residential connections.

But also the footage itself doesn't matter. Not only I tried two completely sets of footage files, but also I tried encoding a file that was in AVI Matrox Uncompressed 8 bit format using Media Encoder, and it also crashed. So the sequence itself is not important, it will crash with any footage. I would say that perhaps these drivers have introduced an incompatibility with something in my hardware, because I've used the same hardware since September of last year and I exported several long timelines successfully using the Matrox 264 encoder in previous drivers.

In case it helps, these are my system specs:

CPU: Intel i7 3930k
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) CMT32GX3M4X1866C9
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Evo
Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840
Graphics card: GV-N770OC-4GD GTX 770 4 GB
Power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
Hard drives: 2 Seagate Barracuda STBD3000100 (3 TB), 1 Western Digital Caviar Black (1 TB)
Optical drives: LG GBW-H20L SATA, Pioneer BDR-208DBK SATA
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, the only two changes I can think of as far as hardware would be the new graphics card, and that I changed the Matrox PCI card one slot down to keep it as far as possible from the new card and its giant fans. Previously the bottom slot was occupied by a Grassvalley HD Spark card and the Matrox one was right above it. I took out the HD Spark and put the Matrox in the bottom slot. I will put the Matrox in the same slot it used to be and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll wait for new drivers and hope something changes. It's not terribly important, my CPU is fast enough to encode in about the same time as the Max.
Alan Craven
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebasvideo wrote:
I would say that perhaps these drivers have introduced an incompatibility with something in my hardware, because I've used the same hardware since September of last year and I exported several long timelines successfully using the Matrox 264 encoder in previous drivers.

Isn't that just what I was arguing? Cool
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Craven wrote:
sebasvideo wrote:
I would say that perhaps these drivers have introduced an incompatibility with something in my hardware, because I've used the same hardware since September of last year and I exported several long timelines successfully using the Matrox 264 encoder in previous drivers.

Isn't that just what I was arguing? Cool

If that's the case, how is that a good thing? Am I the only one who has a 3930k CPU with an Asus P9X79 Pro? So you're saying it's my fault that I bought this hardware in 2012 because I didn't foresee that a year later Matrox would have buggy drivers for the MXO2?
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if you get the same behavior with the Matrox PCI card in the other slot.

Just to confirm, is this your setup?

-Windows 7-64 with Service Pack1
-NTFS partition on destination hd
-Matrox 7.5.1.1966
-Adobe CS6 -> Premiere 6.0.5 & AME 6.0.3

I just ran a test using this export Procedure:

-From Premiere 6.0.5
-loaded a 1080i 29.97 clip, duplicated it to get 30 min timeline
-File->export->Media
-Format: Matrox MP4
-Preset: Fast Encode Apple iPad 1280x720p 29.97
-Click 'Export' command button

Result: MXO2 Red LED flashes during encode. Encode is successful
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know. Your test, however, I'm not sure it nearly duplicates my conditions, because it's a different frame rate, and using the Matrox MP4 module, not the Matrox 264 (although in both cases the h.264 codec may be used, it's not the same file wrapper). Besides, the 30 minute timeline may not be enough. I just exported the second timeline I made to test this, which is about an hour, and using the same preset you used (except using 23.98fps) it crashed but it did at 68% as opposed to the 40% it usually crashes at.

If you want to replicate my situation try 1080p 23.98fps footage, about one hour long timeline, and use the "Matrox 264 (Blu-ray)" option, choosing the Matrox 1080p @ 23.98 fps option. While my footage is from a Canon XF100, we already determined that's not a factor because it crashed on AME when using an AVI file with the Matrox uncompressed 8 bit codec.

The setup you mentioned is correct.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming your system setup.

Not a problem, just ran another test using 8-bit uncompressed footage duplicated to form a 1 hour and 15 minutes timeline. Exported using Matrox H.264 (bluray) format. Preset was Matrox 1080p 23.98. Encode was successful and completed in about 55 minutes (better than realtime).

If you can take some footage that you would not mind sharing with us that causes the failure, then we are willing to test it here.
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming your system setup.

Not a problem, just ran another test using 8-bit uncompressed footage duplicated to form a 1 hour and 15 minutes timeline. Exported using Matrox H.264 (bluray) format. Preset was Matrox 1080p 23.98. Encode was successful and completed in about 55 minutes (better than realtime).

If you can take some footage that you would not mind sharing with us that causes the failure, then we are willing to test it here.

Thanks Joe. I would try to find some footage but I'm sure by now that the problem is not the footage itself, since this happened with two different sets of footage, and even with one file that had been converted to Matrox uncompressed 8 bit. I think most likely there is something new in the latest drivers that causes a glitch when matched with certain hardware. When I have time in like a week or so I will put the PCI card in the slot it used to be and see if that changes anything.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright that's fine. If it is a glitch in the Matrox software then for sure we will be able to reproduce it with exact repro steps. So far we've not got any calls about this and it is a pretty common workflow. In any case you are having this issue and we are interested to know what can be triggering this on your system.

So please let us know the result when you get to try the other PCI slot.

Also, just to rule out any hardware problems, it's a good idea to run a memory diagnostic tool such as memtest+. http://www.memtest.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: