Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

H264 encoding failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmilas
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: H264 encoding failure Reply with quote

I'd be most interested to know why my Matrox MXO2 randomly fails to encode an Apple Prores 422 1080/25p sequence using the Matrox H.264 codec. It stalls before completion with the infamous FCP General Error message.

Given that the H264 hardware encoding was one of the selling points of the MXO2 box this feature has been an ongoing and consistent failure.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Mac Pro 3,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz
10GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5770
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7
Matrox MXO2 firmware version 31.1, software version 2.2.3.0043
Max Compression device is present
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your encodes pass if encoding different formats?

What we recommend first is the following procedure:

1. Uninstall current Matrox driver using the Matrox uninstaller application found in Applications->Matrox MXO2 Utilities-> Matrox MAX Software Uninstaller

2. After the system restarts, follow the *** Manual Verification of Uninstall *** procedure listed below.

3. Run a MAC software update making sure to update any EFI firmware revisions and pro applications updates

For Final Cut Pro/Compressor users (steps 4 & 5):
4. Run the Preference Manager utility to clear the final cut suite preferences:
Link: http://www.digitalrebellion.com -> Products -> Preference Manager

Install and run the software, then click the default profile name in the list of profiles, then click the trash button (bottom left of window) to clear preferences. Note that this will reset all preferences to defaults)

5. MAX users only: This step removes the Matrox Compressor presets manually.

Navigate to the following folder: *user name*/library/applications support/compressor/

Look for the Matrox H.264 folder. If it is not there, that's ok, proceed to the next step. If you have made your own custom presets in this folder and don't wish to lose them, then please back them up first. Then, delete the Matrox H.264 folder. This will clear all the Matrox presets.

Detailed explanation on how to find the folder:
- Open Finder
- click on the boot drive, expand the 'users' folder, then click on your user name
- expand the following folders: library -> applications support -> compressor
- Look for the Matrox H.264 folder and send it to trash.

6. Re-download and install your Matrox driver
Download link: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/downloads/

Be sure to power cycle the MXO2 Mini after the MAC shut downs.

*** Manual Verification of Uninstall ***

Check for any traces of Matrox software. Below is a list of files/folders that should have been removed. Please place the following files in the trash if they are found. Delete any files that begin with com.matrox?..

System\Library\Extensions\com.matrox.vpg.AudioDriver.kext
System\Library\Extensions\com.matrox.vpg.ClockDriver.kext
System\Library\Extensions\com.matrox.vpg.VideoInputDriver.kext
System\Library\Extensions\com.matrox.vpg.VideoOutputDriver.kext
System\Library\Extensions\com.matrox.vpg.RS422Driver.kext
System\Library\Extensions\com.matrox.vpg.DriverHelpers.kext
System\Library\Extensions\com.matrox.vpg.MXO2Driver.kext

Library\PreferencePanes\com.matrox.vpg.MXO2.prefPane

Library\LaunchAgents\com.matrox.vpg.Agent.plist

Usr\libexec\com.matrox.vpg.Agent

Library\QuickTime\com.matrox.vpg.Clock.component
Library\QuickTime\com.matrox.vpg.VideoOutput.component
Library\QuickTime\com.matrox.vpg.VideoDigitizer.component
Erase any files that begin with com.matrox

tmp\Firmware Updater.app

Applications\Matrox MXO2 Utilities (delete entire folder if present. It might already have been removed by the uninstaller)

Library\Application Support\Final Cut Pro System Support\Plugins\Matrox Enabler.txt

Users\***\Library\Preferences\com.matrox.vpg.Matrox MXO2.plist (where *** is the user's machine name):

Users\***\Library\Preferences\com.matrox.vpg.Matrox MXO2.plist (where *** is the user's machine name):

Library\Receipts\Matrox***.pkg (where *** is the MXO2 model (Rack, Mini, etc) and version number):

Users\***\Library\Applications Support\Compressor\Matrox H.264 (delete entire folder)
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post your result when ready.
defacto
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Regular Max failure Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm running FCP 7.03, os 10.6.8 on a 2x2,8 Quad Core w, 16gb ram, with Matrox MXO2 Max, have installed MXO2 2.1.1.0050 after uninstall 1.9, and still get general error when exporting from FCP.
Read the above instructions but am too busy right now to try all this - frankly don't see why i should have to - spent extra to get H.254 functionality and expect it to work - I will go through this process when I don't have two clients breathing down my neck but workaround at present is to export using apple H.264 process which as we all know is very slow - is there a Matrox fix?
regds
Andrew
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Regular Max failure Reply with quote

defacto wrote:
Hi,
I'm running FCP 7.03, os 10.6.8 on a 2x2,8 Quad Core w, 16gb ram, with Matrox MXO2 Max, have installed MXO2 2.1.1.0050 after uninstall 1.9, and still get general error when exporting from FCP.
Read the above instructions but am too busy right now to try all this - frankly don't see why i should have to - spent extra to get H.254 functionality and expect it to work - I will go through this process when I don't have two clients breathing down my neck but workaround at present is to export using apple H.264 process which as we all know is very slow - is there a Matrox fix?
regds
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

What is your version of Compressor?

Please go through the above procedure. Also, you can install Matrox software 2.2.3.0043 as it is the most updated software version for your OSX that supports FCP 7.0.3.
hmilas
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: H264 encoding failure continues Reply with quote

Finally got around to following the uninstall/reinstall instructions absolutely to the letter. Monitoring function works fine as before.

First H264 encoding attempt of a two and a half minute 720p all Prores 422 timeline using the Matrox H264 export setting worked okay.

Then tried another project, with a 5 min 30 sec 1080p sequence and Matrox H264 export also set to 1080p. Two thirds of the way through the infamous FCP General Error! warning appeared as I have experienced many times before when attempting to use the Matrox H264 export setting.

This latter sequence was largely moves on stills (no greater than 4K pixels), no video at all and simple titles. I should add that the same timeline exported fine using the QuickTime H264 option with identical encoding settings.

So, I would much appreciate if you can offer an actual fix for this issue and quickly because I am sure you can understand that by now I have become somewhat disenchanted with Matrox products as this MXO2 with MAX device clearly does not function as advertised.

OS X 10.6.8
10GB RAM
ATI 5770
Matrox 2.2.3.0043
FCP 7.0.3
MXO2 with MAX
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to investigate this further, we will need to test a sample file that is failing on your system. I will send you our ftp upload details by private message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: