Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MXO causing monitors to go on and off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonMW
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: MXO causing monitors to go on and off Reply with quote

I've just turned on my computer this morning to import some footage. The MXO monitor started to randomly switch off, followed by my main monitor. They only went off for a second before switching back on again (the MXO monitor just went black, while my main monitor went to blue before going black).

I checked the connections and all seemed fine. I also turned off the computer to make sure that the graphics card was seated properly. But it didn't make any difference.

When I next turned the computer on and booted into OS X, the switching off and on sequence started again and the intervals between it happening became faster and faster until eventually both monitors were permanently off.

I thought that my ATI X1900 graphics card had gone caput. But just to make sure I turned off the computer and disconnected the MXO. When I rebooted everything was fine with no problems.

I am using Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and MXO driver version 2.1.6.0003

I might have to face up to the possibility that my MXO is broken, but thought I would ask here in case it could be simply a driver/firmware issue.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MXO is seen by OS X as a second connected display, so if the connection is lost then you'd see the secondary display going to black and the primary going to blue and the back to desktop display ... thats what I'd expect from a dead or dodgy MXO connection but what you're describing sounds horrid. When you disconnected MXO did you plug the secondary monitor in direct to the ATI card? I'm wondering if it is after all an issue with the graphics card having trouble driving 2 displays tho ... What happens if you disconnect the main display and run the MXO only (with DVI passthrough in presentation mode), is it still dodgy?
SimonMW
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've connected up the secondary display directly to the AIT card, and so far everything is working correctly. So the issue must be to do with the MXO itself.

I noticed that when I went to the MXO control panel, when the monitors went blank it said that the MXO wasn't connected.

My current theory is that there is a dry joint somewhere, because if I power down the MXO for a bit and then plug the power into it again it works for a few minutes before the problems start. Perhaps the temperature is expanding something.

When it was working I did check the temp in the control panel to make sure that it wasn't overheating. But all seemed to be okay.

What is odd though is the way that it goes off and then on again, but at an increasing frequency if I leave it to see what happens.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as another test, try connecting your primary display only but run it through the MXO passthrough (presentation mode) ie mac > mxo > display ... see if the issue continues to present itself.

it does sound like a bad connection to, or a failing component in the MXO box ... does wiggling the cable exacerbate the problem at all? can you try a standard DVI cable + standard USB cable instead of the Matrox supplied one? does that make it any better (or worse)?
SimonMW
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is worse now. I can't even get the MXO to turn on. So this either points to something broken inside, or the power supply has gone. Unfortunately I can't find another device that has the same 5v 2a DC supply as the MXO to test a different PSU with.
gregvannoy
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME Reply with quote

I have an Apple 30" as my main monitor and an Apple 23" as secondary. I'm running a G5 Quad Core 10.6.1. with the new snow leopard compatible MXO software for ATI.

Today I was typing an email and suddenly both monitors went black. They popped back on and stayed on for about another minute before my main monitor went blue and my secondary went black. Then both monitors went black. Then both monitors came back on.This kept happening at shorter intervals. I restarted hoping that would solve the issue. As soon as the system came up the monitors went off and on with greater frequency until my 23" went black permanently. I rebooted the matrox MXO, checked all cables. The monitor has power but the screen is black. Display preferences do not show that the second monitor is even there. It's like the MXO is fried.

Simon, what happened in your case since you posted? Your problem sounds EXACTLY like what's happening to me.
gregvannoy
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: MXO DEAD AS A DOORNAIL Reply with quote

well, not completely dead because the blue light is on. but i am unable to install mxo software package. it hangs forever when it says "detecting MXO hardware". my monitor is black. this piece of metal is a piece of you know what.
wolf
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonMW wrote:
The problem is worse now. I can't even get the MXO to turn on. So this either points to something broken inside, or the power supply has gone. Unfortunately I can't find another device that has the same 5v 2a DC supply as the MXO to test a different PSU with.

That's really odd. How old is your MXO? I have had my MXO for 3 years and last month it started to behave in the exact same manner. (see my post 'MXO intermittent ON/OFF') I also connected and disconnected the unit, which first seemed to work but it finally died after a few days of trying to work with the MXO.

I was going to have mine replaced by Matrox and received an email two days ago that my warranty has expired and they proposed to replace the board for 400 euro's including shipping, excluding cables that I had to order myself here in Holland.

So I started to see when I bought the MXO and that's almost to the day 3 years ago. Then I tried to find out what the warranty on these products is, which is not easy to find, and I noticed that B&H states that there is a 3 (!) year warranty on the MXO. Researching the MXO-site a little more I finally found the company's warranty info:

1. Matrox Graphics Inc. ("Matrox") warrants to the end-user customer, who provides adequate proof of purchase that Matrox hardware products purchased from Matrox authorized dealers will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of three (3) years from the date of purchase.

Strangely enough the lady from Customer Service tells me, in reply to my question when my warranty expired: "according to our records, your warranty expired June 2009"...?

To be continued...
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wolf

Sorry to hear about the unit failing just outside warranty mate ... happens to me far too often, lately with my MacBook Pro just after my Applecare expired. Nightmare. If you think there is some question about the purchase/registration date being incorrect then its worth chasing. I've found Matrox to be pretty good about this kind of thing so I wish you luck.

For anyone looking for warranty info its really actually quite easy to find as its on the product support pages at:
http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/mac/mxo/contact/
ie where you get if you click through to the product support, then click on "Contact Customer Support"

Hope that helps
Andy
wolf
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defect -and my notification of it- actually occurred within my warranty so I expect everything to be taken care of professionally. Keep you posted.
Matrox_Support_Mac
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Matrox honored the warranty and Wolf got his defective MXO unit replaced.

Hi SimonMW & gregvannoy,
I don't know if your issues have been resolved or not, but just in case they are not, since you have ATI video cards, you should try our latest MXO beta-software release here: http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=3043
It might be best to make sure you have all your updates done.
After that we can proceed to the next step.

Best regards,
-Mac
wolf
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I received a refurbished replacement unit and everything is working fine. I got a little anxious after installing the MXO and not being able to monitor video or see MXO Audio as an option. It took me a day and a lot of (un)installing & rebooting to get to a working configuration.
The trick was downgrading to 2.1.3. I work on a G5 Quad with FCS 2.
SimonMW
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue isn't resolved. I can't get the MXO to power on at all now. Sometimes if I leave it the blue light comes on faintly, but the system does not detect that the device is there.

My device should be within the three year warranty. I live in the UK and bought it through Jigsaw Systems. Should I deal with the warranty through them or through Matrox directly?
Matrox_Support_Mac
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SimonMW,
In general it is always better to deal with your Dealer.
Especially when dealing with RMAs.
There are times they can diagnose it or swap it on the spot.

If that doesn't work out for whatever reason, then contact Matrox directly.

Best regards,
-Mac
rschultz
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm in the same boat as Simon. My MXO isn't even powering up / lighting up anymore. I'll contact my dealer to see what happens. I'm coming up pretty close to the three year mark since my purchase as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: