Matrox VS4 User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VS4 Quad / VS4Recorder Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox VS4 User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickhier
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: VS4 Quad / VS4Recorder Pro Reply with quote

Hi. I'm hoping to be able to record 4 simultaneous 1080p SDI streams (initially 30 fps, but capability for 60 fps would be nice for future), preferably in uncompressed format. I'll need time code synchronization (so I can correlate events in each of the streams in later off-line processing). It sounds like the card and S/W (~$2500?) will do pretty much what I need, except it may not have capability to do uncompressed; is that all correct? Do you have any other ideas/solutions/etc? Thanks...
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rickhier,

Correct, the VS4 does not record to uncompressed formats. Is there a specific application for which you need uncompressed files over the available codecs?

The VS4 supports the following video formats:

NTSC/PAL
    720P 50/59.94
    1080I 50/59.94
    1080P 23.98/24/25/29.97/30
    1080PsF 23.98/24/25/29.97/30

Multicam mode capture provides synchronized frame accurate captures.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For uncompressed recordings, you can look at our MXO2 line on PC platform. Capture can be performed using our A/V tools software to uncompressed format. However each MXO2 will support a single video input.
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I've been thinking uncompressed because we are looking at changes in mostly-stationary video scene material (sometimes the change/motion is VERY small and subtle), and I've been afraid that compression might disturb/mask what we're trying to look at. I don't know if there are codecs which sufficiently minimally might produce such disturbance, so I was trying to play it safe (at the obvious cost of much greater storage requirements, which would be nice to minimize too, but don't know if I can get away with it).

Would the MXO2 LE (for example) include the ability to put time codes into video streams, from a common (PC?) source?
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

With the MXO2, you can capture timecode through video decks using the RS422 port only (available on MXO2 LE or MXO2 RACK).

With the VS4, you can capture timecode either through the SDI signal, manually, or using the PC date/time.

As you mentioned, capturing uncompressed does place a heavy load on the hard drives and takes up a very large amount of space. Note that you can adjust the VS4 to capture to an Mpeg 2 i-frame codec at 300Mb/s for HD video (range is 50-300). This should provide you with full video detail and allow you to manage your hard drive performance and space more efficiently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox VS4 User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam