Matrox VS4 User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to SDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox VS4 User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onthejazz
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: New to SDI Reply with quote

I own both a Panasonic AF100 and a Sony EX3. the Panasonic uses AVCHD, codec and the Sony mpeg 2. If I set both cameras to 720p 30 fps and output via SDI to a matrox VS4 will my computer have to do any processing if wirecast is set to the same resolution
onthejazz
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Sony EX3 is 10 bit output whereas the Panasonic AF 100 is 8-bit.
wayne
(MXO)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes, the signal on the SDI wire will be sent uncompressed to your computer, it is not sent in the codec of your camera, that format is only used for in-camera recording. Once the signal is inside the computer which enters via the Matrox VS4, the frame is sent to Wirecast and simultaneously encoded to a Matrox MPEG 2 I-Frame codec when using the Matrox ISO record feature. The Frame sent from the VS4 (still uncompressed) to Wirecast is then "processed" and "streamed" for internet consumption.

There could be other "processing" done, for example, if the incoming frame size is not the frame size of your stream, this would be scaling processing also done by your system, i.e. CPU - 720p in stream at 640x360

Your GPU would process any effects, titles PiP are few examples, that your system would also be "processing" while streaming/using Wirecast

Let me know if you have other questions, or what more detailed information

Regards
W@
onthejazz
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Would it make a difference if one camera was at 10 the other 8 bit if they are all set to a resolution of 720p. Also, I've heard that Sony outputs at 4:4:2 and the Panasonic at 4:4:0 I don't know if this would have an impact?
wayne
(MXO)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No.

Regards
W@
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox VS4 User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam