Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Display stutter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Llewellyn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Display stutter Reply with quote

My MXO display is stuttering. This is not an interlace issue. I looks like it is randomly displaying frames over the last 8 or 15 frames while playing. So it is playing the video continuously, but the stream of frames are mixed up around the current play point. It is definitely drawing on a pool of frames of more than 1 or 2 frames delayed.

I can't figure out if this is a MXO problem or a FCP 7 problem. I uninstalled the MXO software and preferences and reinstalled and restarted- no change.
I am playing back 1920x1080p. I tried both YUP and RGB. I also tried some HDV footage. All gave the same result.

The MXO had appeared dead, but per your suggestion, I replaced the power brick, and at first look everything looked ok until I started playing footage.

My MXO is connected to a Mac Pro running 10.7.5. MXO software is 2.2.0.0002. It is connected to the primary display port of the MacPro.

thanks
Rick
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried this suggestion from our release notes?

If you experience dropped frames while playing back HD video in Final Cut
    Pro, disabling the Mirror on desktop option will provide better playback
    performance. To do this, start Final Cut Pro, and choose Final Cut Pro >
    Audio/Video Settings, click the AV Devices tab, and then clear the
    Mirror on desktop option under Playback Output. (Ref# 42686)

You can also try to clear the FCP preferences using Preference Manager: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

Also, how are your RT settings configured in FCP? Try setting them as follows: Safe RT, Dynamic Playback Quality and Dynamic Playback Rate

Is the footage on your system drive or on a dedicated media drive?
Rick Llewellyn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Still studders on playback Reply with quote

I did everything you suggested. I deleted the FCP Prefs, and set the settings per your direction. I also deleted the MXO software and preferences, re-downloaded the MXO software, and reinstalled it.

Any other suggestions?

Rick
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the graphic card installed in this system?

I would suggest the following procedure:

1. Disconnect the MXO USB cable from the MAC

2. Run the MXO Uninstaller application located in: Applications -> Matrox MXO Utilities

3. Run the following MXO Manual Uninstall Procedure:

- In Finder, go to: /System/Library/Extensions
- Delete the MXOAudioDriver.kext file

- In Finder, press Shift+Cmd+G (Go -> Go to Folder) and type: /usr/libexec
- Delete the MxoDeviceController.app

- In the Finder folder dialog, type: /tmp
- Delete the MXOAgent.plist file
- Delete the MXODaemon.plist file
- Delete the MXOFPGAUpdater.app file

4. Shut down the MAC

5. Re-connect the MXO USB cable to the MAC. Verify that A/C power is connected to the MXO. Then power up the MAC. The blue LED on the MXO should turn ON.

6. Load the MAC system profiler. You should see a 'MXO by Matrox' device listed under the USB category. If it is there, then download latest Matrox driver for your OSX and re-install.
Rick Llewellyn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: continuing to stutter Reply with quote

It is still stuttering. I followed all your steps. I did not find any files in any of the manual uninstall locations you listed.

BTW- you asked before if the media was on a separate disk and the answer is yes.

The stutter takes the form of a low frame rate like 5 or 10 fps or a flash back frame from a few frames ago, or running fine for short periods of time.

Suggestions?

Rick
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your brand/model of graphic card?
Rick Llewellyn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Graphics card info Reply with quote

My Graphics card is:
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 mB

Rick
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Graphics card info Reply with quote

Rick Llewellyn wrote:
My Graphics card is:
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 mB

Rick

Ok thanks. There are no open issues with that card. Last thing I can recommend (short of a full OSX reinstall) is to uninstall/reinstall/update FCP.
To uninstall it, we recommend using the digital rebellion uninstaller tool: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/
Rick Llewellyn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: still problems after wiping disk Reply with quote

Joe-
I went back to basics and I am still having trouble. I did the following:
1. Erased the system disk
2. reloaded OS 10.7 and updated to 10.7.5
3. Loaded FCP Studio 3 and updated to FCP 7.0.3
4. Down Loaded and installed MXO software 2.2.0.0002
5. Set external playback to MXO uncompressed 1080p 29.97 1920x1080 YUV

I am still getting stuttering. Sometimes it looks like it is stepping through the video, most of the time it looks like it is playing 30 fps continuous, but it grabs a few frames from earlier in the sequence, like maybe in the last 4 to 8 frames.

I tried generating a short test sequence with a dozen clips and exporting it to compressor as ProRes 422. Then bringing the whole big clip back into FCP and playing that. Still no luck it Stutters.

I have not reloaded any other files or software into the new system disk. The computer is an 8 core MacPro with 16 GB ram.

Any more suggestions?
Rick
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your MAC Model identifier? It can be found in the MAC system report. It should be a number like 7,1.

Also, would it be possible to try the MXO with a different graphic card?
Rick Llewellyn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe
My Mac identifier i MacPro4,1.

I don't have another graphics card. If I buy an adapter card I could try it on my MacBook Pro (2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB). I would seem like that is moving in the wrong direction from the ATI Radon HD 4870 512mB.

Rick
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Llewellyn wrote:
Joe
My Mac identifier i MacPro4,1.

I don't have another graphics card. If I buy an adapter card I could try it on my MacBook Pro (2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB). I would seem like that is moving in the wrong direction from the ATI Radon HD 4870 512mB.

Rick

Which adapter card are you referring to?

Is it possible to just swap the ATI 4870 for the Nvidia 8600 just as a test on your current system?
Rick Llewellyn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: It Works! Reply with quote

I fixed it - it works, but I don't know why.

I tried the MXO with my less powerful MacBook Pro and it worked. When I when to set up the displays configuration, I noticed that there were two MXO 1920 x 1200 59.9Hz displays listed in the Menu bar display pull down. I just happened to try the second one and in worked great. So I went back to the MacPro, selected the second "MXO 1920 x 1200" display option and the MacPro display worked without any stutter problems.

I don't know why there are two 1920 x 1200 options listed in the menu bar pull down. There is only one listed if you go to System Preferences. The top option does not work, but the second option works great.

Thanks Joe, I could not have done it without you. Thank you for your patience. Do you have any idea why there are two 1920 x 1200 MXO display options listed in the menu line pull down?

Rick
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it working. No I don't know why there would be 2 MXO devices appearing in your displays setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: