Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Square Pixels Matrox Max MP4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abacus Television
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Custom Square Pixels Matrox Max MP4 Reply with quote

I am having a problem creating a 1024x576 square pixel file - with side crop to get rid of the black bars - to a MAX encoded MP4 file from a PAL matrox MPEG2i frame file in media encoder 5.5 with Matrox Utils 6.1.

The problem is that VLC Media Player and Adobe Bridge plus Windows Explorer icons display the picture to the left in the thumbnail frame. VLC Media Player in the file info pane says its size is 1280x576, but it is 1024x576. It seems to think that it is a 16x9 file and re sizes it - but it's a square pixel file.

If I encode it in the Adobe H264 settings all is fine as it is posible to select square pixel tag. Also Adobe inserts Metadata in the file whereas Matrox Max encode does not. Any ideas?

Regards Robert
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Can you detail your exact workflow settings? Premiere Sequence Settings used? PAL SD or Widescreen clip and sequence?

Have you tried unchecking the export option to Matrox MP4 Maintain Aspect Ratio when scaling?

Do you get the same behavior when importing the Matrox MP4 file in Premiere? What does Premiere properties display as frame size and aspect ratio settings?

Can you send us a screen shot of the image you are getting in VLC or other players?

Please let us know your results.
Abacus Television
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Max Square Pixel file Reply with quote

Hi Sam
Premiere was not used. It was a existing file MPEG2iFrame file 720x576 PAL widescreen placed staight into Media encoder for output to a 1024x576 square pixel file. I can't remember if I unchecked the Maintain Aspect Ratio when scaling but will try it. As a matter of interest the same source file exported with Adobe Media Encoder gave a PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of 0.169 and Exprort via Max Settings gave 0.229 when viewing stats with Media Info. Seems odd given the same file used as source and the same ouput settings used on both!
Inporting both files into Premier gave the correct results 1024x576 - even more interesting.
I will try and do you some screen grabs and try some more tests but one thing I have discovered that the file seems to work and play in XP but not 64 bit Windows 7 I also did a test upload to YouTube - I know it not the right size but nevertheless it displayed as partial frame with the large black bar on the right hand side, not 16x9 and filling the frame. I also uploaded the one done in AME and it displayed normally.
Abacus Television
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi Sam
I have unchecked the export option to Matrox MP4 Maintain Aspect Ratio when scaling - just the same. This time I have encoded two output examples of the same file using direct inport to Media Encoder and exported one via Max and the other via Adobe H264 settings with no crop.

I am unable to capture player screens but have sent icon grabs from Adobe Bridge and Windows Explorer. You will see the difference. It seems to me that the PAR of the two files is interpreted by player/OS software differently so I have included the text files exported by Media Info for you to compare.

The Matrox files seem to to give unpredictable results, also the Max file has no Metadata embedded in it whereas the Adobe H264 has, as you can see, by the bridge screen grab. Are you able to replicate this?

The files are here.

http://www.abacustv.co.uk/Public/Bridge%20Screen.jpg
http://www.abacustv.co.uk/Public/Explorer%20Screen.jpg
http://www.abacustv.co.uk/Public/Adobe%20H264%20Encode%20File.txt
http://www.abacustv.co.uk/Public/Matrox%20Max%20Encode%20File.txt

Regards Robert
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the detailed steps and screen shots. I have reproduced what you are seeing with Adobe Bridge and Explorer using our Matrox MP4 exported files at custom frame size. However, when playing back our exported Matrox MP4 with VLC Player and Windows Media Player, the files play back fine in full screen and no black or shifted borders. Same playback as with Adobe H264 exports. The Matrox MP4 Custom file is also playing fine in After Effects and properties do display 1.0 square pixel and 1024x576 frame size.
In addition, our Matrox MP4 presets do not have an actual Square Pixel Aspect Ratio setting as Adobe native H264 exports do. Our export is hard-coded to 16:9 Pixel Aspect Ratio.

It seems the issue is only with thumbnail views when displaying Matrox MP4 files. Is this correct?
Abacus Television
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Hi Sam
Gad you are able to reproduce it. Vlc player on one pc gave the wrong frame shape and the media info ctrl+I displayed 1280x576 but not on all pc's I have expemimented with do so. Allso YouTube displayed the file wrongly after upload as well ie looked like the thumbnail.
It seems to be mainly the thumbnails as you say but I think you can see how I started to get very confused!.
So are you saying this behavior is normal?

Regards Robert
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I cannot confirm if this is normal behavior due to not having a Square Pixel setting in Matrox MP4 settings. I will send the issue to our QA and engineering department for further investigation. As soon as we have any updates, we will report back.

Thank you for providing your detail steps and feedback. This has been very helpful.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I received update from our engineering department. It seems YouTube may have trouble reading the header of certain custom sizes of exported files.

Would it be possible to export using a valid (width) resolution? For example: 960x576 or 1280x576 instead of 1024x576? Does this work for your workflow?

Please let us know your results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: