Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Matrox converter do I need for Final Cut Pro FCP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedirtyduo
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Which Matrox converter do I need for Final Cut Pro FCP Reply with quote

Hi I have a Mac with FCP 7 and FCPX. I just purchased this Enzio Color Monitor. I was told to get a 8bit signal to the monitor I would need a converter. What is the least expensive Matrox that I need?

http://www.amazon.com/22IN-LCD-1650X1050-950-Coloredge/dp/B003OI0IZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328281009&sr=1-1
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Which Matrox converter do I need for Final Cut Pro FCP Reply with quote

The EIZO seems better suited to photo work than video. HD video is 1920x1080, while this display is 1680x1050 and only has DVI and DisplayPort inputs - no "video" inputs.

Matrox MXO2 boxes, or any manufacturer's I/O box for that matter, will have options of HDMI, SDI, or analog component outputs to an external monitor, but not DVI or DisplayPort.

The least expensive Matrox option is the MXO2 Mini at about $426 street. Provides HDMI and component out for HD monitoring. Matrox offers a unique "HDMI Calibration" software for use with MXO2. You may see complaints about this tool, but ideally it does require a display with 1:1 pixel mapping, which most displays do not have.

There is a NEW display from HP that is full HD and does have the 1:1 pixel mapping and users are reporting good results with MXO2, HP model #ZR2440w.

ZR2440w 24-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor (XW477A8): http://www.sharbor.com/products/HEWN5290003.html

MXO2 Mini - Desktop with FREE Mastering MXO2 Tutorial and HDMI Cable: http://www.sharbor.com/products/MTXN5010167.html

MXO2 Mini is available with your choice of adapter: PCI-e, ExpressCard, or Thunderbolt, according to your needs.

I'd be checking the return policy on the EIZO, because regardless of which brand of I/O card you end up getting, the EIZO is not really suitable for video monitoring.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

thedirtyduo wrote:
Hi I have a Mac with FCP 7 and FCPX. I just purchased this Enzio Color Monitor. I was told to get a 8bit signal to the monitor I would need a converter. What is the least expensive Matrox that I need?

http://www.amazon.com/22IN-LCD-1650X1050-950-Coloredge/dp/B003OI0IZM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328281009&sr=1-1
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Autumm for your help. Actually I'm using this for Color Calibration, so HD monitoring is not that important to me.

The monitor you mentioned does not have Rec 709 or 601. There are very few monitors that do. So a monitor that does not have both 709 and 601 will not display accurate colors. At least this what I have been told.
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not clear on what you are looking for then when you asked for a Matrox converter. Do you want to do "Color Calibration" or "Color Correction"?

Thanks

Jeff
thedirtyduo
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Color Correction Reply with quote

Yes, it is for Color Correction. Sorry about that.
thedirtyduo
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: bump Reply with quote

bump! I also don't have ThunderBolt but if my Matrox did have one for the future that would be great
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need Thunderbolt to connect to the MXO2 family of products. Please note that in order to connect any of our MXO2 family of products; you'd need to use one of the following adapters:

- Thunderbolt connectivity: The Matrox Thunderbolt adapter lets you connect to all the new Macs - 13", 15", and 17" MacBook Pros, Mac Minis, iMacs, and MacBook Airs.
- ExpressCard/34 connectivity: The Matrox ExpressCard/34 adapter lets you connect to older MacBook Pros and to PC laptops that have ExpressCard/34 or ExpressCard/54 slots.
- PCIe connectivity: The Matrox PCIe adapter lets you connect to Mac Pros and PC towers.

Please check this page for more information and let us know if you have any additional questions...

Best regards,
B.C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam