Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Massive Driver problems MXO mini and FCP on MacPro

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctvdirosa
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Massive Driver problems MXO mini and FCP on MacPro Reply with quote

Hello,

I have bought a MXO Mini with both interface cards to run on 2 systems:

1. MBP 2.5 ghz OSX 10.5.8
2. MacPro with SnowLeo 10.6.7

the MBP runs just fine!

My problem is with the MacPro:

I installed and uninstalled all driver versions for snow leo.
1st I installed Matrox 2.2.1 -it asked to update the firmware which resulted in black monitor but audio output despite correct handling of power down of MP and Matrox box, so after hours of trying I managed to get video output when using the calibration softw but no video out of FCP, so uninstall
2nd I installed 2.2.3 which resulted in "no matrox hardware found even though the download page says OSX 10.6.7 ONLY!
3rd I installed 2.1 which updated the firmware again so the hardware is seen again and my serial is recognized.
shut down MP and power cycle the MXO box.
MXO is seen
but WHY does FCP 7.0.3 rescan ALL audio units again now???
What does Matrox drivers have to do with AUVAL ???
I have several hundred plugins and the AuVal procedure is taking hours!
Deleting matrox preferences during uninstall should NOT delete other preferences !!!

Now I am waiting for AuVal to finish its scan of all plugins thank you...

Oh next surprise: all FCP preferences were deleted during the MXO uninstall as well!

What right does matrox execute to delete my preferences from AuVal and FCP ? May I ask ?

But now finally the MXO runs.....

so to conclude:

why does the driver 2.1 work on 10.6.7 ONLY when it says specifically that its for 10.6.5 ONLY and when I download the supposedly correct driver, it doesnt work?

And why does Matrox delete other preferences than the ones I specified in their uninstaller?

best regards

H. di Rosa
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Massive Driver problems MXO mini and FCP on MacPro Reply with quote

Please see my replies below.

ctvdirosa wrote:
1st I installed Matrox 2.2.1 -it asked to update the firmware which resulted in black monitor but audio output despite correct handling of power down of MP and Matrox box, so after hours of trying I managed to get video output when using the calibration softw but no video out of FCP, so uninstall

Which application were you trying to output from? How were the settings configured in the application and in the Matrox preferences? Were the settings set to match the compatible formats of your output monitor? Always review the supported output format list in our user guide for each Matrox driver version you try.

Note that using the calibration utility should not have had any effect on whether or not you get video output from your other application. The problem was likely a configuration mismatch.

ctvdirosa wrote:
2nd I installed 2.2.3 which resulted in "no matrox hardware found even though the download page says OSX 10.6.7 ONLY!
3rd I installed 2.1 which updated the firmware again so the hardware is seen again and my serial is recognized.
shut down MP and power cycle the MXO box.
MXO is seen

2.2.3.0043 works with both 10.6.7 or 10.6.8. If your hardware was not recognized, then there is an error either in your hardware connections or the older driver was not properly removed. Always uninstall a Matrox driver using the uninstaller in the Matrox Utilities program group.

Was the LED on your MXO2 ON, OFF, or pulsing? Did you see 'other multimedia' in the PCI Hardware category (in system profiler)? See my post with the hardware detection checklist.

Changing from 2.2.3 to 2.1 should not trigger the hardware to suddenly be detected. There is a problem somewhere else. See the hardware troubleshooting checklist.

ctvdirosa wrote:
but WHY does FCP 7.0.3 rescan ALL audio units again now???
What does Matrox drivers have to do with AUVAL ???
I have several hundred plugins and the AuVal procedure is taking hours!
Deleting matrox preferences during uninstall should NOT delete other preferences !!!

Now I am waiting for AuVal to finish its scan of all plugins thank you...

Oh next surprise: all FCP preferences were deleted during the MXO uninstall as well!

What right does matrox execute to delete my preferences from AuVal and FCP ? May I ask ?

I am not familiar with AuVal nor de we support it. It sounds like clearing the FCP preferences require AuVal to re-scan. Removing the Matrox driver automatically clears the FCP preferences. This is a result of the need to remove all of the Matrox presets from Final Cut Pro. If you want to retain your current FCP preferences, then you can either backup the preferences files manually or you can use a FCP preference management software such as Preference Manager. Here is the link for Preference Manager: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

Note that if you backup your FCP preferences WHILE the Matrox driver is already installed, when you later uninstall Matrox and restore your preference file, you will see the Matrox presets as if the Matrox was installed. This is normal since you are restoring a FCP preference file that was backed up while the Matrox software was installed. You can just ignore the Matrox presets and work normally with the native presets.

Ideally, you should backup your FCP preferences using Preference Manager BEFORE you install the Matrox driver. This way, if you ever install then later uninstall the Matrox driver, you can restore the FCP preferences and not see any Matrox presets. I do not know how this will affect your Auval add-ons though. This is something you can test though.

ctvdirosa wrote:
so to conclude:

why does the driver 2.1 work on 10.6.7 ONLY when it says specifically that its for 10.6.5 ONLY and when I download the supposedly correct driver, it doesnt work?

And why does Matrox delete other preferences than the ones I specified in their uninstaller?

best regards

H. di Rosa

All of the versions you see mentioned on our download site mean that the software was TESTED with that particular OSX version. If you try it on other OSX versions, then it may still work but you might have issues.

When you did download the correct driver, it should work. So as mentioned, check the hardware detection checklist and make sure you see the 'other multimedia' device. If it is not seen, then there is a problem with the hardware connections. If it is there, then double-check that you are downloading the correct driver for your specific MXO2 product.

Hope this helps.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the hardware detection checklist:

MXO2 Hardware Connection Checklist:

Note: The word 'System' in this document refers to either PC or MAC.

1. Power off both the System and MXO2. Disconnect all cables currently connected to the MXO2.

2. For desktop systems:

Disconnect the PCI host cable connected to the Matrox PCI adapter. Then re-seat the Matrox PCI-express card in the System or switch PCI slots (if another slot is available). Verify that the card is fully seated & secured using a screw or the case retention mechanism.

For laptop systems:

Remove PCI express/34 card from the System then disconnect the PCI host cable.

3. Inspect the host cable connectors for broken pins. If there are any bent pins, please contact Matrox Technical Support.

4. If there is no apparent defect then re-connect it in the proper orientation but swap the ends (the connector that was currently connected to the System should now go connected to the MXO2, and vice versa for the other connector).

Notes:
The host cable connector is directional and must be inserted in the proper orientation. A visual inspection of the orientation is required.

If your host cable connector-ends are labeled with the letters 'A' on one side and 'B' on the other, then the 'B' side should face upwards when connecting on the MXO2 box (with the MXO2 laying flat and positioned right side up). On the system side, you need to visually check the proper orientation as desktop systems will vary (the mainboard may be mounted on the left or right side of a tower enclosure, affecting the orientation of the PCI adapter). Therefore, since not all systems are alike, it is best to check the orientation visually. You will notice that both the host cable connectors and the connectors on the PCI adapter/MXO2 box have one side that is wider than the other. These sides must line up. Although the difference is subtle, it is crucial that the cable be connected properly.

Another way of ensuring proper cable installation on desktop systems is to align the 'B' side of the host cable with the X-Link label on the PCI express adapter.

Tip: Just before inserting the host cable connector, you can pull back on the retention screw arms. This is to ensure that the screws do not inhibit the connector from being inserted fully.

5. Once inserted, tighten the host cable connector retention screws.

6. If you are on a laptop system, you can now re-insert the Matrox PCI express/34 card in the System.

7. Re-connect A/C power to the MXO2 (maybe try a different wall socket/power bar/outlet).

8. Power on the System. Verify that the Blue or Red LED is ON. The LED should turn on a few seconds after the System is powered.

9. Follow the steps for your specific system platform.

MAC Platform Notes

For MAC systems with PCI connectivity:
Go to System Profiler and click on Hardware -> PCI Cards.
Verify the list of cards. If detected, the MXO2 should be listed as a card of type 'other multimedia'.
If it is present, then proceed to download and install the Matrox driver.

For MAC systems with Thunderbolt connectivity:
Go to System Profiler -> Hardware -> Thunderbolt.
Verify the list of devices. If detected, the MXO2 should appear as 'T/ADP' device.

For either system type, if the appropriate device is listed in System Profiler, then proceed to download and install the appropriate Matrox driver for your system. If it is not present, then please contact Matrox Technical Support.

PC Platform Notes

For PC systems, open Device Manager and verify the presence of a 'Matrox Audio/Video devices' group (with no conflicts). If the group is not present or contains even one conflicting device, contact Matrox Technical Support.

If there are no issues with the Matrox list in Device Manager, then open the Matrox X.info application as follows:
- Right-Click on the 'M' icon in the system tray
- Click on Open X.info
- Click the drop-down menu at the top and select 'Hardware'.

If the hardware information window contains text such as the serial number and production date, then the MXO2 is properly detected by your system. If the information window is empty, then please contact Matrox Technical Support.

General Notes:

1. For both PC and MAC platforms, verify that your system is updated and meets the minimum hardware and software specifications listed in the MXO2 user guide. For MAC systems, run a MAC Software Update and apply any EFI Firmware Updates that may be listed after the system scan of available updates.

2. For MAC systems with Thunderbolt:

First, please check your system specs to make absolutely sure that your MAC system does indeed have Thunderbolt support. Also, if it is supported, you should see a lightning logo near the Thunderbolt/Display port connector on your MAC. If this logo is not printed, then your system likely does not have Thunderbolt support. Note that the System Report (system profiler) list will still show a Thunderbolt category even if the system does not support it.

In order for the MXO2 to show up as a Thunderbolt device, the MAC will need to go through at least 3 software updates from Apple. When running 'Software Update', there will be firmware updates for Thunderbolt. Apply these then reboot the MAC. Then run a 'Software Update' again and apply any new Thunderbolt/Firmware updates that are available. Reboot again and keep updating the system until there are no more Thunderbolt updates pending. Lastly, install the appropriate Thunderbolt-supported Matrox driver on your system.
ctvdirosa
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies Joe.

I got the MXO to work and all was pretty good so far. I have a 10 bit panel and it works fine. I also use a smaller 8 bit panel and here I find that 1080p50 gives "out of range 26MHz" but 1080pf25 works, so all was good until today when I opened an older FCP project which was filmed with DVCPROHD 980x720

The monitor would not play the material only show a still image!
I started trying to find a matrox setting that corresponds with my 720pn settings and found none. SO during this search and testing various settings the MXO totally died! It is not outputting anything anymore, not when connected to the 10 bit panel nor the 8 bit panel.
Also loading the newer projects which previously worked = dead MXO= no output to any HDMI monitor. I have 20 years of experience with beta testing for various companies but this problem beats me.
Any tips as to what could have killed the MXO is appreciated.
ctvdirosa
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: solved Reply with quote

de installed and re installed the matrox stuff....hours lost/wasted but solved
now the 960x720 settings are there and all is working. the matrox even knows dvcprohd now...strange.....
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for posting an update. Glad to hear all is working well now. Since it's working we'll put aside any troubleshooting steps. I'll lock this thread but please feel free to start a new thread if you have other questions.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: