Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow audio scrubbing on MC6 and MX02Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Avid Media Composer Family (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niels Koopman
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Slow audio scrubbing on MC6 and MX02Mini Reply with quote

I recently upgraded from MC5.5 to 6, and from snow leopard to Lion.
Before that I was working on MC5.0.3 in combination with MX02, and it worked perfect.
But since my upgrade to MC5.5 and MX02 Version 2.3.3.0016 (and now MC6 and MX02 V. 3.0.0.0071) I have a huge delay in audio playback when I have caps lock turned on for audio scrubbing.
I use audio scrubbing a lot, since I do a lot of syncing and perf slipping. I don't have this problem when I switch the Matrox off, but in MC6 it isn't possible to toggle anymore.
Did anyone encounter the same problem, and solved it?
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm what resolution and frame rate is your sequence in Avid MC6?

Do you have Fast Scrub enabled or disabled?
Niels Koopman
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not working in a sequence, but with subclips in my preview monitor. I sync separate audio & video by timecode, which creates a subclip. When I want to perfslip this subclip, to correct the offset in sync, I step back and forth at the sync-clap. When doing this (with capslock turned on), there's a huge delay in sound. When I edit the clip in a sequence, the problem stays the same.

At first I tried it with "use fast scrub" enabled, when I disable it it only gets worse. Both my preview monitor in Avid, and my external monitor go black.
In my Avid preview monitor I get the message "Audio Underrun".
I'm working in a 1080P/25 (film) project, with XD CAMEX 35Mbits MXF resolution.
I also work in 1080/24, same problems!
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niels Koopman,

We seem to have reproduced a slight delay of audio while scrubbing with MXO2 when compared to native Avid.
Can you confirm how much of a delay you are seeing?

We also have not reproduced the Audio Underrun error message. It seems this may be due to bandwidth or performance issue with the system.
See this Avid link for more information: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/81848.aspx

Here are some other helpful posts: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/869072
http://www.geniusdv.com/weblog/archives/audio_video_underuns_in_avid_xpress.php

Hope this information is helpful.
Niels Koopman
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the delay I'm having here is somewhere near a second, when I step back and forth. I think I'm going to reformat my system drive and make a clean install of Lion, Avid 6 and the latest Matrox firm-&software.

Thanks for your time!

Grtz,
Niels
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Niels. We will address the scrubbing delay to our engineering department and hope to have a solution or update in the near future.
d_di_francesco
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I have had the same problem. I have updated to the proper firm and software version of the MXO2 Mini and am running Media Composer 6.0.

If I try to enable Audio Scrubbing (Caps Lock), I get an Audio Underrun error message in my preview window when I try to go frame by frame and hear the audio. I was running Media Composer 5.5.3 for some time with the previous Matrox version and had no problems so long as I disabled the 'Use Fast Scrub' functionnality in Media Composer. Now I've tried it every which way, no way of getting a workable audio scrub.

Any news on this from the Matrox team ? This is a rather basic and important functionality. I can't imagine editing properly without it.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What are your system specs? What version of MXO2 drivers are you running?
Have you tried the underrun suggestions in the posts from previous reply? ie Different media drive, removing audio effects, or changing/matching audio sample rates from project settings with clip settings?
Quote:
See this Avid link for more information: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/81848.aspx

Here are some other helpful posts: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/869072

Does the error occur intermittently or consistently?
Have you tried removing Matrox drivers and verifying if this occurs in Avid native mode?

We have not seen this error in house but if you can narrow down the area where you consistently get the audio error, then please let us know these details, as this can help us greatly.
d_di_francesco
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the tips apply to my situation. It's not a drive problem, I am working with 1080p23.98 DnX36 encoded media and my drive is more than capable of read/write at up to 76MB/sec according to a disk speed test. It is not a corrupt render file, there are no effects applied to the clips I am working on. And the problem is really only present when I attempt to have audio scrubbing enabled (Caps Lock). It is not an on and off problem, I can recreate it at any time. If I enable 'Use Fast Scrub' and recreate the problem, I get the following error message (but only with Use FastScrub enabled. If its disabled, I get Audio Underrun messages.):

Exception: BlipPlayer::NonThreadedPlayBlipField: Timed out waiting for single frame player to stop. If scrubbing a complex sequence of unrendered effects, consider rendering them for better performance

If I disable the Matrox hardware and run Media Composer in software only mode, I have no problems.

I am running Media Composer 6.0 on an Early 2008 MacPro 8-core, 2.8Ghz system with OS X 10.7.2 and Matrox software v.3.0.0.xxx, 8GB of RAM.
Niels Koopman
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know that I'm not the only one having this problem! Although I experienced the same troubles in 5.5.3, but never tried switching "use fast scrub" on or off.
At that time I got the following message in my preview window and also in my console, when caps lock turned on and stepping through a clip (just a sub-clip in my preview monitor).

PlayerHostThread::CheckForExceptions: Exception: PMS_NOT_READY_TO_START
Exception caught in APlayer::Play - Exception: PMS_NOT_READY_TO_START

As said in a previous post; I'm planning a clean install of OSX 10.7.2, MC6 and Matrox next week, to see if it makes a difference.

I'll keep you posted

N.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niels,

Please let us know your results after your clean install whenever possible.
Niels Koopman
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

a clean install didn't do it.
Same problem, same delays and audio underrun message;

Exception caught in APlayer::Play - Exception Audio Underrun.

I'm out of options now, and forced to work with my MX02 offline!

Grtz,
Niels
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niels,

The audio delay issue is a reported issue and has been sent to our engineering department for further investigation.

Have you tried the suggestion regarding Audio Sampling Rates? Verify you do not have mismatched sampling rates.

Would it be possible to send us a sample clip of the Avid MXF file? Since we are not able to reproduce in house, your file may be able to help us troubleshoot the issue. I can send you the ftp information to upload the file.
Niels Koopman
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

the sample rates of the clips in my project are all the same.
I've send my private adres for you to send me the FTP details, so I can upload a couple of my files and a copy of the project I'm working in for further investigation.

Grtz,
Niels
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the update. I sent a PM with ftp instructions. Please verify your inbox for more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Avid Media Composer Family (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: