Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monitors under $500.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
appleson@gate.net
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Monitors under $500. Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm purchasing a MXO Rack, loaded. And I would like to know what some of you are using for a picture monitor. I'd like to use two 24" lcd's in different locations in the studio. The distant monitor is approx 53 feet away from the mxo rack and Computer. I'll be looking at the time line via a 42" Plasma, on a UTP extender from the Quadro 5000 video card.

So, tell me what you like in the budget under $500 category that has native in it, so I can take full advantage of the MXO monitor set up. And, I'm assuming that the one HDMI output on the MXO needs to be split and conditioned to run around the room to the distant monitor. Any suggestions?
I know, some of these extenders cost more than the monitor.

Thanks,
Pat
appleson.com
appleson@gate.net
Punkley
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a dell u410

It is pretty nice and has inputs for about everything
Punkley
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2410 that is
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Punkley for your help. If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to add them to this post.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
JAL2099
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to color accuracy with the MXO2 mini, am I going to see a difference between a monitor that can display full rec.709 or full NTSC with a 10-bit LUT, vs one that cannot? I will be looking at an IPS monitor regardless, but if the MXO2 Mini is going to override any inherent benefit of a more expensive monitor, I don' see the point of buying one.
~Justin
appleson@gate.net
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Monitors Reply with quote

Thanks guys, for the tips. I'll check that Dell.

In the mean time, I purchased one Samsung 24". It looks great!

Hi JAL2099, It's seems to me you can "turn off" any "monitor color correction" and go without in the MX02 Rack with Max, which we purchased.

While there very well may be a difference between REC 709 and what you call "NTSC", that's good. NTSC is Standard Def analog spec circa 1952.

It ain't no ten bits and it ain't even 8 bits. Actually what ever you got above 4.2 Mhz is a gift. Why do you think they say NTSC, means Never Twice The Same Color". Or for may friends in the home office,'Colour'.

Best Regards
Pat
www.appleson.com
JAL2099
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In retrospect, I could've asked my question in a more succinct way. So, when connected to any version of the MXO2 (Mini included), I'm going to get the same result whether I buy something like an NEC ea232wmi-bk or an HP DreamColor, correct?
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for your continued interest in Matrox products. We just ask that your monitor will be HDMI compatable and have a full 1920X1080 http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/windows/mxo2/system/monitors/ we would like the image not to be scaled some call it 1:1 pixel mapping (aspect ratio of 1:1) on the HDMI input. On some HDMI monitors, 1:1 pixel mapping is sometimes referred to as "dot-by-dot", "Full Pixel", or "Just Scan" mode. Once it is saved your monitor will always be calibrated. All of our MXO2 family of products have the calibration capabilities because it is done through the HDMI and has the same internal hardware. Monitors are different and we do not garuntee the quality of each brand but you should get the same result as long as the monitors meet our requirements.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
JAL2099
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's down to one of these, below. Any comments or other suggestions?

LED IPS monitors
NEC E232WMI-BK
NEC PA231W-BK

non-LED IPS monitors
Dell U2410
HP LP2475w
ASUS PA246Q

Pat -- which Samsung did you go with, I'd like to consider it, too.
JD -- I realize you can't recommend monitors. Have you run into any issues with people using HDMI to DisplayPort cables?

Clearly some of these are above the $500 mark, but not by too much. I'm still not sure if I'd be throwing my money away on one of them. I understand that all the calibration is done by the MXO2 box, but what I still don't understand is if 6-bit panel is going to display less colors when run off of the MXO2 than a true 8- or 10-bit panel.

Thanks again for wading through my duncery.
~Justin
JAL2099
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon reading JD's post again, I take it to mean that it doesn't matter if the display is 6-, 8-, or 10 bit (or beyond).

Off topic, slightly, but does this mean that most all LCD panels are all capable of showing a wide spectrum of colors and that it's the electronics that determine how many bits are displayed and those monitor specific electronics are over-ridden by the MXO2?

OK -- it's either sinking in or I'm way off track. Smile
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Justin and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. We do not specify that you need 8 or 10 bits in your monitor so if you have a 6 bit monitor as long as it meets our requirements you should be fine. In regards to your question
Quote:
Have you run into any issues with people using HDMI to DisplayPort cables
Most display port monitors do not meet our requirements, an example of this is the Apple Cinema Display, for some reason it just does not play nice with our product.

I will let users respond to your other question.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam