Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confirming a 1x slot in 2006 Mac Pro will work with MXO2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnK
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Confirming a 1x slot in 2006 Mac Pro will work with MXO2 Reply with quote

Hi there,

Long-time MXO user, about to upgrade to an MXO2 (or LE). Still using my quad-core 2.66 Mac Pro (2006 model) which has one, 1x slot left open. The fastest lane (8x) is occupied by an ATTO SCSI card, and one of the other slots has an eSATA adapter in it. Currently running the latest version of Snow Leopard, FCS3 and CS5.

Just want to make sure that an MXO2 will run on this older hardware and the adapter card will work in the remaining 1x slot (and play nice with the others Smile

TIA, JK
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am just a MXI2 user John, not Matrox support, but for what its worth I can suggest that your setup should pose no problem at all, the MXO2 PCIe host adaptor card is also 1x.

Standby for official comment from the pre-sales team tho
Cheers
Andy
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy for your help. Thank you John for your interest in Matrox products. The Matrox entire MXO2 family of products have the same system requirements. To see them all please see go to: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/mac/mxo2/system/requirements/

In your case you need an Intel-based Mac Pro running Snow Leopard which is fine so far. You need a free PCIe slot on the Mac Pro. Our Adapter is 1x so you look like you are good to go. We support CS5 and Final Cut 7 also.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
JohnK
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for answering!

Something I just thought of (sorry, I'm hijacking my OWN thread!):

If I get the MXO2 LE, I know I won't have 5.1 audio output on the unit. But will it output 5.1 over HDMI? Could I monitor surround over HDMI from my Final Cut studio apps? (I know there is an issue with core audio but I would not be working with surround outside of video applications).

JVK
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John for your continued interest in Matrox products. To answer your queston
Quote:
I know I won't have 5.1 audio output on the unit. But will it output 5.1 over HDMI? Could I monitor surround over HDMI from my Final Cut studio apps?

With the HDMI you get 8 channels of embedded audio (SDI has 16 channels) As far as I know Final cut will not allow you to monitor embedded audio. You can however get a 3rd party device that will un-embed your audio. Unfortunately it might turn out to cost more than the difference between the Matrox MXO2 and the MXO2 LE. As long as you can unembed the audio you should be fine for monitorng.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam