Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

avid mc5, no audio out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Avid Media Composer Family (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pov@ix.netcom.com
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: avid mc5, no audio out Reply with quote

I've read all the posts, yet still can't get my mxo to play sound.
dual boot mac osx 10.6.4 with FCP on one side, Avid MC5 the other...fcp side is fine
avid side only gets sound from internal pc.
matrox 2.1 drivers

I've enabled mapping. What am i missing? Thanks, Mark
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapping is only needed if you want to re-direct the audio outputs your own way. For now, please leave it disabled.

How are you connected to your video destination? Please list cabling used for both video and audio.

What version of MC are you using?

Does MXO2 appear as the playback device near the Avid logo (top right of the sequence window)?

Also go to Tools-> Audio mixer to verify your audio mixer levels.
pov@ix.netcom.com
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Joe.
How are you connected to your video destination? Please list cabling used for both video and audio.
I have it cabled the same as for FCP. I am connected to the Mac via the host cable. I have an SDI in from a deck. My outs are xlr that go to a mixer. and component SD to a monitor.

What version of MC are you using?

Does MXO2 appear as the playback device near the Avid logo (top right of the sequence window)?
No. But there is a 1394 there though.

Also go to Tools-> Audio mixer to verify your audio mixer levels.
They are at 0.

I hope that helps...
Mark
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Please click the button where you see '1394'. After clicking, does it become 'MXO2'. This is the way it should be in order to use the MXO2 as the Avid output device.

If you never get MXO2 on that button, then it means that Avid is not seeing the MXO2 box. This can happen if Avid was installed or updated after the MXO2 driver was installed. If this is the case, then simply remove the MXO2 driver and re-install it.
pov@ix.netcom.com
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I did install the Matrox after the Avid. But I did as you said, un-installed and re-installed. No luck. It still says 1394. Avid sees the Matrox option in its AUDIO IN in the Audio Tool....but under Audio out, it still says Core 1394 audio.

What next?

Mark
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you click the button labeled '1394'?
pov@ix.netcom.com
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It doesn't change. Just stays 1394.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok please try this. It is a more complete uninstall/reinstall process. You can skip steps 3 and 4 if you don't have Final Cut Pro also installed on your MAC.

1. uninstall Matrox driver (using the Matrox uninstaller application found in Applications->Matrox MXO2 Utilities-> Matrox MAX Software Uninstaller

2. run a mac software update making sure to update any firmware revisions and pro applications updates

3. run preference manager to clear the final cut suite preferences: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/pref_man.htm. Install and run the software, then click the default profile name in the list of profiles, then click the trash button (bottom left of window) to clear preferences, note that this will reset all preferences to defaults)

4. Navigate to the following folder: *your home drive*/library/applications support/compressor/

Now look for the Matrox H.264 folder. If you have made your own custom presets in this folder and don't wish to lose them, then please back them up first. Then, delete the Matrox H.264 folder. This will clear all the Matrox presets.

5. Re-download a fresh copy of the latest driver for your osx. If you are on snow leopard, then download Matrox driver version 2.1 (build 50) and install. Once installed, the full version number will read 2.1.1.0050 in the Info tab in Matrox Preferences.
Download link: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/downloads/
pov@ix.netcom.com
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try this, but befoe I do:
I need FCP working as well. It exists on a separate boot-up drive.
Incidentally, when I ran 2.1 on the Avid side, it knocked out MXO2LE on the FCP side, so I have nothing there either.

I can't sacrifice FCP for AVID....will this attempt ensure both will work?

Thanks,
Mark
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure how things work with this dual boot system that you have setup. Doesn't each boot up drive have its own OSX installation? Shouldn't they work independently of each other?

I'm not sure why installing one driver in one boot drive would affect the other. I just have never experimented with your specific setup. But it could be something that could be causing this issue.

I'm not sure how you want to go about testing this since I don't want you to lose any fcp functionality.
pov@ix.netcom.com
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the dual boot should offer that...but when i upgrade the osx it upgrades both sides. likewise, when i installed the matrox stuff on the avid side, i lost it on the fcp side (i assume i simply need to re-install that side too).

It lets me select a preference in system start-up, the Avid HD or the FCP HD, then it re-boots to that desktop.

Why do you think the Avid sees the Matrox inputs but not the out? It also sees the port settings, serial control, etc. for the MXO2LE.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i upgrade the osx it upgrades both sides

Something is not quite right with your "dual boot" ... upgrading the OS on one boot volume should absolutely not affect the OS install on any other boot volume, that would defeat the purpose of having multiple boot volumes.

when i installed the matrox stuff on the avid side, i lost it on the fcp side

If the MXO2 software reinstall that performed on the Avid boot volume was also an "upgrade" to a newer version of the software, then that upgrade might also have upgraded the firmware on the MXO2 itself ... if that's the case then you'd probably have to upgrade the software on the FCP side too, to a version compatible with the newer firmware.
pov@ix.netcom.com
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong. Dual boot does preserve each osx independently. i have 10.6.4 on Avid side and 10.6.5 on FCP
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok great, so then work with just the Avid side since this is where you're having the missing audio. We need to get that MXO2 button appear. Normally, if you install the MXO2 driver after Avid MC, then the Matrox plugins are installed so that you could select MXO2 playback instead of 1394. Since you are not seeing this, I would first uninstall the Matrox driver again and look to either update or clear/cleanup Avid preferences and temporary cache files. I'd like to avoid having to reinstall Avid as well but this might be a good test as well. After all this, I would reinstall the Matrox driver and check to see if I could at least select MXO2 as the playback device.

Incidentally, you never mentioned anything about video in your original post. But I am anticipating that you are also not getting any video out out of MXO2 (since you can't seem to choose it as the output device). Is this correct?
pov@ix.netcom.com
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you once again. I will tackle this later today. As far as video goes, right now I am using it only to monitor audio playback, haven't even tried video. But shortly, yes, within a week, I will need it to both capture SD SDI and monitor HD and SD-NTSC.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Avid Media Composer Family (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: