Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Another Monitor

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubledrop
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Adding Another Monitor Reply with quote

I've been running MXO since it was first released, currently on this year's i7 MBP17"-ACD23".

I'm starting to learn Color and figured I could enhance this workstation by adding a HD SDI monitor.

Does anyone know if this configuration is supported with the original MXO? (simultaneous ACD and HD SDI output).

I'm particularly interested to see if it would show me a differential of how my grade will look on TV and on web.
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi doubledrop,

The answer is yes, you can monitor simultaneously to the ACD through DVI and the SDI output.

Regards

Peter

Matrox Video Technical Support
doubledrop
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter.

Is there any way of selectively monitoring the video through SDI while leaving the computer signal to ACD?
For example in FCP cmd-F12 to see the video output to SDI whilst my MBP17" and ACD23" would both display the GUI?
This was my typical Firewire workstation years ago, monitoring component thru a deck to a CRT while having FCP browser on one monitor and FCP other windows on the other computer monitor.

Best regards, David
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry David, there's no way to achieve that .. when you use the MXO for monitoring then the uncompressed video signal is being passed from the computer to the MXO which is then passed to all outputs, DVI and SDI included ... there's no way to simultaneously send both the uncompressed video signal and the secondary desktop monitor display down the same pipe at the same time.

Hope it helps, and Merry Christmas
Andy
doubledrop
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. I'm planning on an FSI 17" which I'll have displaying the output throughout editing, with MBP17 showing FCP browser and ACD23 showing timeline etc.

When grading in Color I'd opt for the FSI as my critical evaluation display, with interface palettes on ACD.

It looks like I need to buy one of your newer boxes with expresscard34 to HD SDI. Could you recommend the most suitable model for my workflow
please?
Regards, David
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Please see the following datasheet for a list of all the MXO2 features on their respective models.

http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/products/mac/mxo2/en_mxo2_mac_datasheet.pdf

Regards

Peter

nekten
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for posting late but I have a somewhat related question to the original post.

I'm using the MXO connected to my ACD and SDI out connected to an FSI monitor. The FSI monitor has been factory calibrated so it doesn't need calibration but I need to calibrate my ACD. However, when I use Apple's calibration tool to setup my ACD it also changes my FSI monitor.

Is there a way to calibrate the ACD without affecting my FSI monitor?
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nekten

The calibration of the ACD using the calibration tools in OS X's System Preferences >> Displays panel will always affect your output to the FSI monitor when in "Presentation" mode as this mode is a Scan Conversion mode (where the graphics card output is converted from a computer graphics signal to a tradition video signal, hence any modification to the signal output from the graphics card will necessarily be carried through the scan conversion process). However, in "Mastering" mode the signal to your FSI will not be affected by any system level ACD calibration as this mode does not use the system level graphics card processing ... if you wish to calibrate the ACD for true color video display in this Mastering mode then you should use the MXO's own "Proc Amps" controls (found in the MXO preference pane under the Mastering tab). Just follow the calibration procedure described in the manual and you should be fine.

Hope it helps, and Happy New Year
Andy
nekten
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful, thank you Andy.

Happy New Year!
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the helpful post.

Hi nekten,

Please don't hesitate to start a new thread should you have any further inquiries or issues.

Regards

Peter

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: