Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50hz option for PAL monitoring on DVI monitor.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicov
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: 50hz option for PAL monitoring on DVI monitor. Reply with quote

I read in several threads that I'd get a little jump in the image every 10 seconds when monitoring PAL due to the fact that the MXO looks at 59.9hz witch is perfect for NTSC but not totally appropriate for PAL.

Wayne said it was a choice made because most LCD's only support 59.9hz or 60hz at 1920x1200 but that a 50hz option might come in an update for those who work in PAL and have an LCD that support 50hz.

I'm working in PAL and my monitor specs says it has support for both 60hz and 50hz at 1920x1200 on the HDMI input (LG245WP).

The good news anyways is that somehow I don't get the jump every 10 seconds. What I do get in PAL is a very little vibration on the image, ok to work with but could be better.

Hope a 50hz option will be offered in MXO 2.1, bringing full support for PAL DVI monitoring...
Matrox_Support_Niven
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nicov,

Quote:
Wayne said it was a choice made because most LCD's only support 59.9hz or 60hz at 1920x1200 but that a 50hz option might come in an update for those who work in PAL and have an LCD that support 50hz.

At the time there weren't many cost effective 50hz LCD monitors, although that is changing now, models that I know of is your monitor and the Benq FP241W Z.

Regarding the matter of this post I'll be moving it to the Product Feature Enhancement section of the forum.

Regards,
Niven
nicov
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: PAL user Reply with quote

Thanks, it would be great to be able to stay all the way from footage to LCD at 50hz... Hope it's coming...
abrunger
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: 50 Hz update? Reply with quote

Any update regarding this? If I find a monitor with DVI input that takes 1920 X 1080 at 50 Hz, does the MXO now support that?
makra
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi abrunger,

I asked wether my 1920 x 1080 50Hz Samsung Monitor is compatible with MXO before I ordered the MXO. The tech_support people told me everything was fine. See here:

http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=1860

But I dont bring the MXO and the Samsung to work together. Reading this thread makes me shiver. Did I spent the 2.000 bucks for MXO + Samsung bootless?

Can someone please clarify:

Will MXO work with DVI 1920 x 1080 @ 50Hz Monitor or not?

Manfred Kraus
mooblie
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, 1920x1080 is no good with MXO.

You need a native resolution of 1920 x 1200, and the MXO will then display a 1920 x 1080 image on it, with two 60-pixel-high black bars, top and bottom.
Fxn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: 50 Hz - thread awaked from the dead Reply with quote

I am new to Mxo 1 and I work PAL

After some testing (MXO & ADC 23") out of Fcp in SD/25i (so far)

I haven't noticed the fatal "little jump" every ten seconds. Even watching with attention a scrolling (up) credit tittle

was this addressed somehow ?

In case of problem, thought, I read in this thread that it wouldn't be enought to get a monitor at 50 refreshing rate ( I am thinking about a Color Edge Eizo) but MXO drivers would need an update ? ? ?
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Please verify the System Requirements for DVI monitors with the MXO:
http://matrox.com/video/en/support/mxo/system/requirements/

Quote:
Display card with a secondary DVI-I connector. Must be able to display
1920x1200 @ 60 Hz.

Regards,
Sam
Fxn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: An answer, please ? Reply with quote

so , is the " non delivery @ 25p / 25 i / 50i ... issue" of the Mxo a hardware problem or could there be a driver proposing this ????????

this is MOST needed
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Are you referring to the Apple Cinema Display 23-inch DVI monitor?
If so, this monitor has a vertical refresh rate of 59.94 Hz, therefore giving you the best possible image quality.

The DVI monitors should have a maximum display resolution of 1920x1200 and a vertical refresh rate of 60. These are system requirements for the MXO and should be applied for the best possible image quality, in both PAL and NTSC monitoring.
As mentioned on our System requirements section:
Quote:
DVI monitor that supports a native display resolution of 1920x1200 is recommended, such as the 23-inch Apple Cinema Display

Here are some tested DVI monitors with MXO:
http://matrox.com/video/en/support/mac/mxo/system/monitors/

If you would like a feature request for additional DVI specs, please post your request on our Product Feature and Enhancement section:
http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewforum.php?f=6

Regards,
Sam
Fxn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: no, 50HZ ! Reply with quote

I am speaking about the possibility of send a signal @ 50Hz to a monitor that would display it ...

so... not the 23 Apple Cinema Display ! buy a monitor like an EizoColor Edge for instance.

so my question (again)

is the " non delivery @ 25p / 25 i / 50i ... issue" of the Mxo a hardware problem or could there be a driver proposing this ?
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What is the exact model of the EizoColor Edge?
Does the monitor support 1920x1200 diplay @ 60 Hz?

If the monitor fits the system requirements, there should be no problems working with the MXO.

Regards,
Sam
Fxn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: 60Hz flikers when working pal Reply with quote

the problem is that as long as the Mxo will deliver only a 60Hz signal it will never fit the needs of a pal user, it flickers !

we need two things

1- a monitor that display 50Hz
2- the Mxo to deliver 50Hz

read this
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/132/858117
the third message is explicit

so my question (again)

is the " non delivery @ 25p / 25 i / 50i ... issue" of the Mxo a hardware problem or could there be a driver proposing this ?

thank you for your concern
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Are you experiencing the issue with your DVI monitor?
Does your DVI monitor support both 50 and 60 Hz?

We have tried the issue inhouse and have not seen a difference between PAL and NTSC monitoring.

Can you give us more details to your issue?
What type of project are you running? What is on the timeline?
What are your MXO preference settings?

The MXO does monitor out a 50Hz signal, therefore, if your DVI monitor supports 50Hz, you should have no problems.

Regards,
Sam
Fxn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: ok, let's try again... Reply with quote

I don't have an issue / the issue is with the gear and it's firmware/driver ... so far. thus my initial question.

yes there is a difference between PAL and NTSC monitoring.
you "inhouse test"

out of the Radeon 4870 implemented in my MacPro I go DVI to my second ADC through Mxo 1and it's flickering ! you can see it on titles, it's horrible.

I have done a simple test : (PM me a mail and I will send the Fcp project to you)

Same titles, copied and pasted to Pal and Ntsc sequences, Dv & uncompressed 8 bits.

Pal flickers / Ntsc don't - Same thing in HD (1080i50 /1080i60) ... lesser, but still flickering.
(MXO preference monitoring settings being, of course, the right one for each case.

there is a quote from a Matrox official :

"Since the majority of DVI monitors do not accept 50Hz, they don't lock to it; we decided to drive the DVI out @ 60Hz when working in PAL. If we were to send 50Hz to a monitor that did not accept a 50Hz signal, the result would be a black screen, and the client would not know why (We did a lot of testing with 50Hz). We decide to go with the lesser of the two evils, so to speak. I am looking at a software option to turn on and off a 50Hz output in a future release of our software, leave the decision up to the client."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: