Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does it take so long to output matrox mpeg i-frame?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Why does it take so long to output matrox mpeg i-frame? Reply with quote

On the RTX2 you can output to Matrox mpeg i-frame faster the realtime.
On the MXO2 it takes about 20 X more time.
Please it should be very easy to implement acelerated export to Matrox mpeg i-frame in the next driver.

Thank you.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Are you referring to output export time or scrubbing/playback on sequence?
What type of export are you running in both RT.X2 and MXO2 PC settings?
Please detail your steps so we can get a better understanding of your workflow.

Regards,
Sam
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

When I finnish my projects I always use file-export-media - Matrox avi because I like to store my projects in the Matrox mpg2-I-frame codec.
I like the great quality and its easy to do different output conversions at once with media encoder afterwards.
On the RTX2 I choose format Matrox avi and click the acelerated export button. This export is faster then realtime.

On the MXO2 there is no accelerated export to Matrox avi.
I only have accelerated export to h264 codecs. with max option and this works great!
But if on the MXO2 I like to create matrox mpg2-I-frame files
I must choose microsoft avi as format and a Matrox preset like Matrox 1440X1080i then click OK but this not accelerated and takes forever.
Over 20 times compare with the RTX2.

So to make the MXO2 mini more usefull I like to have the same accelerated export to the Matrox i-frame codec like on the RTX2.
I think this must be an easy one for your engineers.

I also like the mpg-I-frame + alpha codec so I can also work with alpha channels with the MXO2 connected.( I have lots of alpha clips made with the RTX2) and like to use these files on the MXO2 projects.

And at last the RTX2 captured HDV files should be made compatible with the MXO2. Then we can share and edit between RTX2 an MXO2 machines.

And why not the best of both worlds on one machine MXO2 especialy the MAX option and RTX2 working together site by site. Like the compress HD card.

Thanks for your help.
vspete
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

I have to say I agree with filmfabrique 100%. For those of us moving from RT.X2 to MXO2 the lack of compatibility between to two products comes as a major surprise and disappointment.

I understood I would not have the "flex" realtime HDV editing features on the MXO2 platform than that I couldn't configure a single system to host both cards. What I didn't appreciate was the inability to use any RT.X2 captured clips, any Premiere Projects that contained references to these clips, or the inabilility for accellerated export in Matrox mpg2-I frame format. I have been using the Matrox I-frame as my intermediate codec standard as was filmfabrique.

My goal for "moving up" to the MXO2 with max was to break the 1440x1080 barrier imposed by the RT.X2 and gain h.264 acceleration. After using the MXO2 (which I really like for what it does) and have discovered what it doesn't do that RT.X2 did, I have to redo and re-think my workflow.

I, like filmfabrique, would like to ask Matrox to incorporate those key lost RT.X2 features into a future release of MXO2.Utils. Regrettably I think this will not be possible because MXO2 doesn't have the MPEG2 hardware on the RT.X2 card.

If it were possible to successfully create a workstation that supported both the MXO2 with max and RT.X2 concurrently. The 1440x1080 RT.X2 hardware limitations prohibit accelerated full HD I-frame exports.

Regrettably, unless I am missing something, I may have consider adopting another intermediate codec standard potentially cineform.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi filmfabrique, vspete,

Thank you for the detailed information and feedback on MXO2 product line.
These feature requests have been added to our feature request list and will be addressed to the appropriate department for a possible future implementation.
Your post will be moved to our Product Feature Enhancement section for additional user feedback. This section is also monitored by our Product Managers.

Once again, thanks for your clear input and concerns.
Regards,
Sam
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Sam,

In my opinion there are two ways (or three) for me to upgrade to CS5.
Prefered in this order.

1. the RTX2 CS5 drivers are really good as with CS4 and do support realtime effects together with my ATI EAH4870 card. So this means RTX2 in workstation and MXO2 mini max with new RT driver on laptop.

2. ditch the RTX2 in favor of the MXO2 mini max. But the new drivers have to support Realtime effects with my ATI EAH4870 and these feature request from this post are implemented. They are a must if I switch from RTX2 to MXO2 mini on my workstation.

3. (I don't like this one) ditch my RTX2 and buy an expensive Nvidia cuda and just use MXO2 mini as I/O and step away from Matrox mpeg2 i-frame format.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Matrox has now released the new Matrox VFW Software Codecs. This new version is Version 1.0 dated May 5, 2010.
Go to http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/windows/vfw_software_codecs/downloads/softwares/version1.0/ and scroll down to VFW Software Codecs and you can download it.
With this, you should be able to keep using your Matrox avi files without any problems!

I hope this helps,
Sam
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

The problem is that I can't install this VFW codecs together with MtxUtils to work with RTX2 captured HDV files and Matrox mpeg2 i-frame + alpha with the MXO2 at this moment.
I got a message that the vfw codecs are not compatible with MtxUtils!

But my understanding is that the new MtxUtils will contain this VFW codecs so that my Matrox codec problems are solved.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We still need accelerated export from the MXO2 to Matrox mpeg2 i-frame.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, the new VFW codecs are to be used with non-Matrox hardware systems.
These new software codecs will bring support for Matrox HDV and alpha codecs. This will definitely help partly resolve your issues.

The Matrox AVI accelerated exports will still be added to our feature request section for a possible future implementation.

Regards,
Sam
vspete
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

We need VFW codec functionality for non-Matrox RT.X2 systems to be of value. We need support for Matrox HDV and alpha codecs not provided by the MXO2 product family.

One would think that either MtxUtils could have the HDV/alpha features installed or a MXO2 friendly set of VFW codecs could be made available. Why these are mutually exclusive today is really ellusive!

Many thanks - Pete
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totaly agree with Pete here.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Good news! This issue should be resolved with our next driver release.
Matrox has taken note of your requests and we plan to address the issue regarding Matrox VFW codecs unable to install with Matrox hardware.

Regards,
Sam
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news!
Thanks you.
vspete
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Fabulous news!

The thought of having to recapture (reprocess) material from so many HDV tapes in order maintain a network storage archive compatible with systems with MXO2 installed was beyond unpleasant.

When customers upgrade (or migrate) to next generation products from a vendor, there is the expectation that the vendor has preserved the value of their customers' prior workproduct going forward. Imagine what would happen if a company released Office 2010 and it wouldn't open Office 2003/2007 documents and no external file translator was made available. What if customers were told their only options were to reinstall their old product and export in RTF or retype documents from scratch?

Matrox has excellent proprietary CODECS. I am glad Matrox remains committed to maximizing customer sastisfaction as we customers continue to buy Matrox products and rely on the proprietary technology provided.

Sam, thank you for your success in having this matter addressed....

Sincerely - Pete
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there any update regarding accelerated export to Matrox mpeg i-frame?
Since the new RTX2 drivers for CS5 do not offer this most important feature anymore (why? I don't understand this!) I really need this on the MXO2.

I just want to now if this is possible on the MXO2 hardware.
Just give me a clear answer please.

If so please give this top priority.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: