Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ExpressCard/34 slot is basically obsoleted, what to use now?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deaf Video editor
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: ExpressCard/34 slot is basically obsoleted, what to use now? Reply with quote

I have basically research a lot of your products and I have noticed that a number of MXO/MXO2 products require a ExpressCard/34 slot for laptops/MacBook Pros or an available PCIe slot in the PC or MacPro.

My question is why are you not using FireWire? It is common now and can be found just about every machine. For example, if I want to buy a Matrox product with my new MacBook Pro Uni-body. Unfortunely, Apple dumped the ExpressCard slot for an SD slot.

What I really don't understand is that the older MacBooks have ExpressCard and they are generally slower and the newer ones are faster, you are telling me that I can't use it in my MacBook Pro. In addition, how does one use it on the iMacs when you can use it on the MacBook Pro, which again is generally slower than the iMacs?

To me, I feel that you need to upgrade your line to use FireWire or something simple that can be used in TODAY's connections on the laptop or PC.

What is weird that some of the Matrox products specification says that the PCIe is used on the MacPro but one can't use it in PC running Windows?

On a personal side, does Matrox favor Apple over Microsoft as it seems that the products features are available more on the Apple side than the Windows side, regardless of the hardware connection limitations?
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DVE

You've not researched enough, my friend, as this question has been asked and answered before on this and in other forums. The MXO2 requires an interconnect protocol that allows for full Uncompressed HD transfer to and from the host computer. Anything less would limit the capabilities of the device. No Firewire based I/O units can handle Uncompress HD as Firewire does not currently have the bandwidth required, hence the use of the much faster ExpressCard/34 slot. Of course, future devices may indeed make use of different as yet emergent technologies but the MXO2 uses today's ExpressCard/34 (or PCIe) connection as currently available on both Mac's and PC's.

As for the Apple vs Microsoft thing. Nope, as far as I can tell, Matrox are very much dedicated to providing solutions for both platforms, always have been.

Hope it helps
Andy
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do to inactivity of this thread, it will now be locked.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam