Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Streaming Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveonjava
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Live Streaming Support Reply with quote

I run a Java technology user group where we have monthly presenters that give talks to around 100 people locally and we stream online via the ustream service to thousands of remote attendees.

The video is captured via a Canon Vixia HF20 camera (AVCHD) from the HDMI output port. We would like to be able to use the MX02 mini to capture the HDMI video and process it from Adobe Flash Media Encoder Live (FMEL) on a Windows laptop. UStream has direct broadcast support from FMEL. This setup would allow us to do live streaming of the event direct from a digital feed.

I have heard some people have had success doing streaming like this on the MacBook platform, but the only computers that ship with ExpressCard slots now are the 17" models. Also, we would like to be able to use this workflow as a model for other Java technology user groups who want to stream their events from their own personal laptops.

Live web streaming is becoming an increasingly common workflow. With the proliferation of AVCHD cameras that have no firewire streaming capabilities, there is a huge opportunity. The MX02 mini is uniquely positioned as a high-end, portable device that fits this gap nicely.
pumpkinbomber
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Live Streaming Support Reply with quote

Yes, I also purchased the Matrox Mini specifically for capture and live streaming of Video Gaming Events. Specifically Fighting Game tournaments. I've seen this done with the MacBook platform as well and I want to know how to get this working with a Windows 7 PC/Laptop. No program I have found even recognizes the Matrox Mini as a video capture device. I do have Adobe CS4, but honestly I'm not familiar with all of it's tools. Is there some specific program I need to run in order to stream the Audio and Video directly from the mini. I can of course use some desktop capture software to stream the video in a roundabout way, but it's not ideal and I still need to get the audio into the stream. Any help would be appreciated.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the PC side have you tried using the bundled Matrox AV Tools software for capture?

Best
Andy
pumpkinbomber
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Live Streaming Support Reply with quote

Capture works fine, live streaming is the topic at hand. I was under the impression from the information in the marketing material on the Mini that it can stream as well as capture. From looking around, this seems to only be the case for Mac not PC. This should probably be spelled out more clearly in your marketing material. But I digress.

Are there any solutions for streaming Audio and Video using the Matrox MXO2 mini, that don't involve workaround tools like desktop capture virtual cams and usb line-in mixers. Basically, I want to stream what I am seeing in Matrox AV Tools.

On a side note, what do I need to do to actually hear the audio in the preview of AV Tools. I can see it is working with the Audio Viewer or whatever it is called, and it captures fine, but it would be nice to hear it if possible during preview. this may be a question for another area of the forum, so lets focus on the live stream first.

thanks.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha ... well solely in the interests of discussion, I don't think its a case of streaming being supported by Matrox on the Mac side but not on the PC side, rather its that some 3rd party application developers on the Mac side may have specifically added or already include inherent support for the MXO2 as a video input source to their streaming software. To that end it seems that what you need to find is a PC based streaming software that allows video input from a professional video I/O device such as the MXO2 rather than say a more consumer oriented usb web cam ... what have you tried to date? Just did a quick google for live streaming video software and turned up something called Procaster http://www.livestream.com/procaster/ have you tried that one? It says it supports Firewire, USB and video input cards. On closer inspection it notes it supports for the BlackMagic Decklink card but does not note support for the MXO2, nonetheless it may be worth testing. Have you tried Telestream's Wirecast? They've been looking at supporting HDMI capture devices and noted in a (Wirecast) forum post that they were looking at the MXO2 Mini as a possible input device .... Whats important here is that support for any given hardware is provided by the software developer not Matrox, or at least its certainly not something that can be done unilaterally by Matrox.

That said, a cool feature might be technically feasible on teh Matrox end would be to add some kind of virtualization mode to their driver that allows the MXO2 to masquerade as a general purpose Firewire or USB webcam, so as to provide more direct support for software that does not yet support higher end video capture hardware. Not sure thats the target they're going after tho.

Hope it helps
Andy
pumpkinbomber
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Live Streaming Support Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

I've tried Wirecast, but the MXO2 Mini doesn't show up as a selectable device. I also tried VidBlaster, ditto. With VidBlaster I am able to create a virtual webcam and select the area of the desktop that is playing the video in the preview window of Matrox AV Tools, and that works OK, but without sound. So a workaround could be done by using a mixer to bring the audio into the line-in on my PC but it is basically a hack in my opinion. I also tried the Flash Live Media Encoder and also nothing. I was trying to use Ustream.TV or Justin.TV, but they don't see the Mini. I will try out the Procaster and let you know.

Also, I captured some video last night of some gameplay at 720p 59.94FPS MPEG2-IFrame using the Matrox AV Tools. It all looked fine in the Tools Preview and the Clip Playlist. I then disconnected the Mini since I was finished capturing. I tried to play the files in WMP, and only got sound with a black screen. (a sign the codec it is using is not correct) I also opened Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.2.1 and tried to follow the Users Manual instructions but the Mini is not selectable as a player. I saw where it could be the order that I installed the drivers and CS4. Also maybe the Mini has to be plugged in. I'm not sure. I tried to open AV Tools to make sure it still played, but you need the Mini plugged in to open that program.

Please tell me the Mini doesn't need to be plugged in to watch what I capture in any program. I need to be able to put these videos in a more commonly viewable format and also upload these videos to Youtube. I realize this is slightly off the topic, so I can post in the appropriate thread if you would like. Just a little direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen
pumpkinbomber
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Live Streaming Reply with quote

I tried out Procaster, and it doesn't work either. I sent support a questions and their response was "they don't officially support the Matrox MXO2 Mini on PC."

So basically, the mini is a great product for the Mac. This is what I am learning.

If I can still capture and get the videos to a more common format then all will not be lost.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats disappointing ... well for what its worth, Telestream do seem to be looking at adding support for the Mini with Wirecast on the Windows side (or at least are testing it). Perhaps its worth following up on this thread last month on the Wirecast Windows forum:

http://forum.telestream.net/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=44&threadid=2624&highlight_key=y&keyword1=mxo2

Re your other questions, would probably be best to post them in the normal MXO2 Mini - Windows tech support forum:
http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewforum.php?f=16
pumpkinbomber
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help Andy. I figured out that the Mini needs to actually be plugged in to the computer for the codecs to work and for Adobe PP or ME to be able to do anything with the files. WOW, is all I can say. And not a good WOW. Anyways, with it plugged in, everything on the Capture and Encoding end with Adobe seems fine. So all is not lost on the Windows side of things. And with the help of some virtual cam software, streaming is possible, all be it in a hacked kind of a way. But, Like I said, thanks for your help. I'll keep a look out for any programs that add support and let you know.
hdestin
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone of you gentlemen ever got this thing to work with Ustream or any of the other livestreaming service providers? I purchased the Mini last week for the sole purpose of doing livestreaming in HD, I may have to return it if I can't get it to work. Not looking good thus far!

HD
pumpkinbomber
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdestin wrote:
Did anyone of you gentlemen ever got this thing to work with Ustream or any of the other livestreaming service providers? I purchased the Mini last week for the sole purpose of doing livestreaming in HD, I may have to return it if I can't get it to work. Not looking good thus far!

HD

The only way was to use VidBlaster or some other virtual camera software to capture the desktop video from the AV Tools preview window and stream using that. This doesn't provide audio unfortunatley, and I haven't been able to get the audio to output to anything other than to the internal AV Tools speakers. Which somehow are not able to output to real speakers. Or maybe I haven't figured it out yet. Regardless, if you had a mixer or a splitter you could put the audio through it and then split it to the mini and to the PC(line-in) and put it back together on Ustream or with VidBlaster. The only problem might be syncing the audio with the video. It's a hacked work around, but it should work.
pumpkinbomber
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdestin wrote:

HD

you might try this for the Audio preview to hear the sound, then use something like Virtual Audio cable to merge or repeat the audio to a source for use with Ustream. I plan to try this sometime in the next week. I don't know for sure if it will work, but you can let me know or I will let you know here once I try it. Good luck.
pumpkinbomber
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pumpkinbomber wrote:
hdestin wrote:

HD

you might try this for the Audio preview to hear the sound, then use something like Virtual Audio cable to merge or repeat the audio to a source for use with Ustream. I plan to try this sometime in the next week. I don't know for sure if it will work, but you can let me know or I will let you know here once I try it. Good luck.

this
http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=2852&highlight=audio
Kryptic
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a way to make the preview window bigger in the a/v tools? im trying to start streaming and since it seems like the only option is a screen capture program im just trying to make the best of my mxo2. its great just need streaming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: