Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacBook Pro 17 LCD monitoring w/o FCP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter_d
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: MacBook Pro 17 LCD monitoring w/o FCP? Reply with quote

When using a MacBook Pro 17" with the MXO2 Mini, can the laptop's LCD screen be used as a live monitor for an external video source without using Final Cut Pro?

In other words, does Matrox include software (or a hardware feature) to facilitate this, or is FCP required to do this? I plan on buying the latest FCP, too, but I just want to know if the laptop's LCD can be also be used as a live monitor via MXO2 Mini w/o running FCP.

A related question: Can the MXO2 Mini drive an external HDMI monitor w/o the MXO2 Mini being connected to a Mac? For example, can you use the MXO2 Mini to convert, say, a component source to HDMI for use with a HDMI monitor?

If it makes a difference, I'd consider buying the MXO2 Mini with the MAX H.264 compression option.

Thanks!
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>When using a MacBook Pro 17" with the MXO2 Mini, can the laptop's LCD screen be used as a live monitor for an external video source without using Final Cut Pro?

Yes certainly ... but it is not a built-in or bundled app feature. The Mini provides your system with the necessary inputs, and if you have the necessary 3rd party software, such as VeeScope Live or ScopeBox, then you can monitor live on the laptop screen.

>In other words, does Matrox include software (or a hardware feature) to facilitate this, or is FCP required to do this? I plan on buying the latest FCP, too, but I just want to know if the laptop's LCD can be also be used as a live monitor via MXO2 Mini w/o running FCP.

As noted above.

>A related question: Can the MXO2 Mini drive an external HDMI monitor w/o the MXO2 Mini being connected to a Mac? For example, can you use the MXO2 Mini to convert, say, a component source to HDMI for use with a HDMI monitor?

No. The MXO2 series of devices will not work as stand alone convertors, they must be connected to a host computer to operate. It's a feature that could conceivably be added at a later date tho, so I'd recommend you add you thoughts on that in the Feature Request forum.

>If it makes a difference, I'd consider buying the MXO2 Mini with the MAX H.264 compression option.

Good choice! The MAX option is a superb addition to the basic Mini.

Hope it helps
Andy
peter_d
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy.

I have a follow-up question: Do you know if using Quicktime _Pro_ alone supports video pass-through of a source connected to the MXO2 Mini and can display it on a Mac/MBP monitor?

Apparently QT Pro can do this with a DV source via Firewire, but can it also do it w. a HDMI/component/etc. source connected to the MXO2 Mini?
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Peter
Am at home at the moment and don't have anything to hook up and test. Am pretty sure QT would let you monitor in a window tho, but am also pretty sure it would not let you monitor pixel for pixel or full screen. If 'in a window' is all you need then you'll be fine.
Andy
peter_d
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Mees wrote:
>A related question: Can the MXO2 Mini drive an external HDMI monitor w/o the MXO2 Mini being connected to a Mac? For example, can you use the MXO2 Mini to convert, say, a component source to HDMI for use with a HDMI monitor?

No. The MXO2 series of devices will not work as stand alone convertors, they must be connected to a host computer to operate. It's a feature that could conceivably be added at a later date tho, so I'd recommend you add you thoughts on that in the Feature Request forum.

Thanks for all your help, Andy. It appears the Feature Request Forum only allows posting by registered Matrox customers (it asks me for a log-in)? Or am I misunderstanding how that forum works?

Another question: If Apple were ever to discontinue Express/34 support in their future laptops (and, say, they replace Express/34 with eSATA instead), is it theoretically possible that Matrox may offer an eSATA interface card for the Matrox MXO2 mini -- or is eSATA not appropriate for the tasks the mini performs?

I realize this question verges on conjecture, but I'm a little nervous about Apple's commitment to Express/34 and the mini's dependence on it when it come to Apple laptops. Basically I'm just wondering if the current 2 interface options for the mini are the only ones Matrox can possibly use, and if something like eSATA might be appropriate/possible for the future?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Customer_Care_Bassel
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, the way they're designed, the MXO2 family of products require the big bandwidth to sustain the data transfer rate; since these products handle 10-bit uncompressed HD video. At the moment, the Express 34 slot has this biggest bandwidth on the MacBook Pro. I'm not at liberty to speculate what Apple has in stored for their future products or if there will be a newer technology that would replace the Express 34 slots - But if you are in the market today for a solution, on a MacBook Pro, then the new 17" MacBook Pros have the proper Express 34 slot to interface with the MXO2.

Peter, please note that I moved this post to our "Product Feature Enhancements" for future consideration...

Thanks,
B.C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: