Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest versions Mac OS, FCP and the MXO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trifin
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Latest versions Mac OS, FCP and the MXO Reply with quote

Seeing as the last thread was locked (by Matrox) and the general idea expressed in that thread by some people I feel the need to say several things.

- Matrox is still selling and heavily promoting the MXO units but at this time if you were to buy a new Mac Pro, FCP and a MXO unit you would end up with an incompatible system.

- I still cannot (on any version of Max OS or FCP) monitor correctly NTSC anamorphic footage. I reported this I was told they knew about it but I have heard nothing else. NTSC anamorphic footage is quite common, I am upset that they have not fixed this and continue to be annoyed that they do not clearly state on their advertising etc that this does not work.

For me, I feel the Matrox support is poor at best. Many, many companies have taken the time to update their software / hardware so the current Mac OS works with their software / hardware. Matrox have had plenty of time to do the same. As for not supporting the current version of FCP (with non-beta drivers) after all this time since its release is another testament to the lack of decent support from Matrox. Why on earth are people supporting Matrox on this? Yes I could use old hardware and software to do my job but then I would be behind other people in my field. The new version of Mac OS and FCP offer some compelling features that enable me to work faster and better than the old versions. I paid decent money for my MXO unit and expect decent support.

Matrox needs to sort out the level of support for the current MXO product line instead of releasing new versions of units. Furthermore potential new buyers need to aware of the problems with the MXO line. If Matrox simply locks threads and tries to censor people from expressing themselves then it paints a very bad picture of how they operate.
hmilas
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: MXO support for FCS3 and OSX 10.6 Reply with quote

An announcement from Matrox as to when users can expect their MXO investment to work with FCS3 and Snow Leopard would be reassuring.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trifin and hmilas,

We are doing our best to support two new softwares that were released less then a month apart and we apologize for not having support for these new softwares the day they were released and we thank you for your patience in the mean time. We presently have a FCS3 open beta for use on Leopard. In this configuration we have not encountered any issues or had any issues reported. Most issues discussed in the Beta section of the forums appear to be on a FCS3 and Snow Leopard setup and this is neither the intended nor supported setup for the beta, hence why I locked the previous thread. Not to mention some users were starting to bicker with each other.

When we have completed our testing and are satisfied with FCS3 and Snow Leopard drivers we will announce their availability on the forums, through email, and on our website.

In the mean time, I mentioned that NTSC widescreen output issue to our SQA department. In case you are not aware, there is a workaround where you enable scale to fit in the Mastering tab of the MXO panel in System Preferences. It will be a stretched image but at least you can monitor NTSC widescreen video out the MXO.

Regards,
Matthew
kwoff
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew,

We are well past the day these "two new softwares" were released, and Matrox has already provided both Snow Leopard and Final Cut Studio 3 support for the MXO2. Can you please provide some estimate of when an updated driver will be available for the MXO? The MXO is unusable on my system currently and it is way too far after the release of Snow Leopard and FCS3 for this to be the case, in my opinion.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Matrox_Support_Matthew
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kwoff,

Knowing you work with an MXO or were considering purchasing it, you should have verified with us if there were any reasons to not update or wait to purchase a new system with FCS3 and Snow Leopard pre-installed. Unfortunately I don't have an estimate on MXO support for FCS3 or Snow Leopard and can only suggest you to try the FCS3 Beta and report any issues you encounter while using it.

Regards,
Matthew
trifin
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Any update? Reply with quote

It's 19th October.

Final Cut Pro 7 was released in July and Snow Leopard was released at the end of August.

What on earth are you guys doing?
trifin
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now the end of October and another month rolls past with not a word from Matrox.

Here is a pdf that stating that the MXO works with FCS3.0 but really it only works with beta drivers and an old version of the OS...

http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/products/mxo/en_product_selection.pdf

And my thread has been moved to product feature enhancements! It's not a product feature enhancement. It's about making it work with current software.

I find your way of conducting yourselves to be astounding.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trifin

As I understand it, Apple made some pretty significant 'under the hood' changes in Snow Leopard and one would assume by the delay that some of those changes must adversely affect proper operation of our beloved MXO boxes ... and it's entirely possible (probable?) that rectifying the issue will require direct cooperation from Apple. Speculation it may be, but if that is indeed the case then the fix will likely be on Apple's timetable rather than Matrox's (and Apple are not renowned for rushing these things). In fact you may remember a similar situation when Apple switched graphics chipsets in their MBP's a year or so ago, from ATI to NVIDIA, which left the MXO inoperable on the newest MBP's of the time ... and it required an OS X / Graphics Update from Apple to fix the problem. It was a long and painful wait but Apple/Matrox came through in the end.

(FYI This is by no means a Matrox only issue, AJA recently had a similar problem with their IoHD boxes which did not get qualified FCP 7 and Snow Leopard support until about a week ago as it too required a direct fix from Apple)

In the meantime though, anger and frustrations aside, the situation begs the question "Is there any real reason at this point in time for you to update your production machine to Snow Leopard?" (other than it's the latest OS and obviously its always nice to at least be able to play with the latest offerings available). I do appreciate your "new Mac" argument, by the way, have you actually bought a new Mac which doesn't support OS X 10.5? And if you did, does having it preclude still running the older hardware with your MXO? Just for some perspective, we've got over 40 MXO boxes in daily operation where I work, and they all work every bit as well as they did on the day we bought them with the equipment those units were bought to be used with. OS X 10.5 still works great and there is really nothing offered by 10.6 only that I need on my production machines at this point (I'm hopeful 10.6.2 will begin to bring the kind of overall stability to the new OS that will make it more suitable as a production OS, but for the moment at least this is not an OS version I'd want on a machine that I need to rely upon).

Trifen, my apologies that my response is not one of the "hey, you can download the driver here" variety, I do get where you are coming from, but hopefully theres some insight in my post that is vaguely useful to you anyway.

Best Regards
Andy
trifin
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a new mac book pro that came with snow leopard and a mac pro which i (stupidly) updated to snow leopard. I could wipe these machines and re-install 10.5 but I don't want to and frankly I don't see why I should.

I don't know whether Matrox is just completely taking its customers for a ride, I mean, how many people do they actually have writing and testing their drivers? Seems to me that the beta drivers for FCS3.0 have been out for ages - why haven't they gone gold? How far down the to-do list is the MXO?

I feel that alot of people on here are too willing to support Matrox's awful support.

The reason why I don't wipe my machines is because I am worried that Matrox is not really interested in the MXO and that I will be wasting my time by wiping the machine and re-installing everything to find out later than the relevant driver is never coming. I am wondering if I might be better off finding an alternative monitoring solution.

I have been using Matrox products for probably about 10 years now and this situation has made me wish I hadn't. The only thing that would get Matrox off the hook is if this problem is Apple's but even if it is why doesn't Matrox give their customers some information?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: