Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any plans for Timecode on HD-SDI Capture?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Any plans for Timecode on HD-SDI Capture? Reply with quote

One major function that the AJA IoHD and Kona Boards have is timecode upon capture. Will this be a feature that can be added with firmware?

Please let me know,
-J
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your MXO2 question.

The MXO2 hardware has the capability to support timecode on HD-SDI captures.
We've forwarded your request to our "Product Feature Enhancements" section for future consideration.

You can also contact the customer care team via this Contact Me form and via phone :
Toll Free: (800) 361-4903 (North America) or (514) 822-6364 (Worldwide)

Regards,

JC
Customer Care Representative
Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd. - Corporate Headquarters
End-user video editing products group
jamesv
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this? This post is getting on for a year old and there are a lot of us out here who'd love timecode capture over SDI like AJA's VTRExchange.
sfmedia
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too will add my desire for this feature.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought ... I have no particular interest in a timecode over HD-SDI "like AJA's VTR Xchange" (although it would be cool to have a standalone capture app ... and fwiw worth I'm sure that is coming somewhere down the track, just as they've now released a standalone playback app). No, what I would prefer to see is a little of the Matrox magic applied to this issue ... as you may know, Apple's Final Cut Pro application does not actually support capture of timecode via RP-188 and what Matrox could do would be to provide a means for spoofing support of this by extracting/embedding RP188 timecode and passing it to/from the app as RS422 timecode. Now that would be cool.
jamesv
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I don't care how it would be done, but some way of capturing embedded timecode over SDI would be useful... why do we mac users have to wait for what the PC guys have already? Let's have that standalone app (btw the new vetura playback is great!).

It's not something I need every day, working with decks with RS422 it isn't a problem. Every now and again however it would be useful - to capture live from an EX1 for example bypassing the camera codec.

Don't get me wrong, the MXO2 does what it does very well - it captured 20 hours of footage to DVCPRO HD via a macbook pro flawlessly for me over the weekend and then saved my bacon with its ability to downconvert on playback.

I love it.

Just this one little thing... pretty please... oh, and it should ship with PAL framerate encoding presets too for us europeans, of course I've made my own, but really guys, I shouldn't have to!
norbertwu
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: yes, please give us timecode capture over SDI or a workaroun Reply with quote

I've had a MXO2 LE box for a month. It's a great box. But after three calls to Matrox Customer Support and a promise by a tech support person to get back to me, I am still waiting for an answer as to whether there is a solution or workaround to this problem, or if I have to buy a Kona or AJA box instead.

I am capturing HDCAM footage using the Matrox box through the SDI input. It's been working great, capturing audio and video in the ProRes422HQ format, but it is NOT capturing timecode of the tapes -- which is vitally important to my stock agents and clients. My agents and clients order clips based on window-burn clips of the HD footage.

I was impressed with Matrox customer support the first time I called; they can handle initial setup issues just fine. But faced with a technical question like this (and I pointed the techs to this forum thread), I was given incorrect information the first time, and on my second call a week later, the tech support rep said he did not know the answer to my question, but promised to call or email me back with the answer or a workaround. I never received such a call or email. Granted, I've only been waiting since Thursday June 17, but given the difficulty it is to call Matrox Customer Support this has been frustrating (their hours are only 9-5PM EASTERN standard time).
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Norbert

This thread simply reflects the discussion of a feature request, no more and no less.

The Matrox MXO2 series of I/O devices do not capture embedded timecode via SDI, period. Never have.

Regarding timecode, the device uses the industry standard RS422 control protocol for deck control and takes timecode from that source.

Connect your HDCAM deck via SDI for audio and video, and additionally via RS422 if you wish to use deck control and/or capture timecode from source.

Cheers
Andy
jamesv
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The announcement of the Vetura capture application for Mac is interesting.

Will this application finally support capture of embedded timecode via SDI?

Will this allow access to SDI timecode to applications such as Softron's MovieRecorder? (MovieRecorder can capture timecode over SDI with AJA hardware, not Matrox).

I'm sad to say that I'm having to hire in two AJA IoHDs for a job coming up where I have to capture timecode over SDI (it's a live event and there's no other option for timecode).

Annoying having to hire in when I have two Matrox MXO2 LEs and work with them almost every day in the studio.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: