Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MXO2 Mini VfW 10-bit YUV capture and uncompressed open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ys05
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: MXO2 Mini VfW 10-bit YUV capture and uncompressed open Reply with quote

I'm capturing PAL video with MXO2 Mini through S-Video input and want to store it in 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 lossless format and want to be able to open in in this format (10-bit YUV 4:2:2) later for editing and encoding preferrably in any general VfW software (i.e. not limited to only software listed as Matrox MXO2 compatible). So I have several questions regarding such workflow. Currently I'm using Mtx.utils 6.1.0.100 on Windows 7 x64.

1. If I capture with Matrox A/V tools to 10-bit Matrox Uncompressed AVI file then MediaInfo program (as I understand it analyses the file directly w/o VfW codecs) reports this AVI file as yuv422p10le (exactly what I need), however if I then try to open it in Virtualdub via Matrox VfW Uncompressed codec then Virtualdub reports input format as RGBA32. Also I've found info on some forum in internet that Matrox DV codec also provides its data to Virtualdub as RGBA32 only. So the question is: Are Matrox VfW codecs (at first, Matrox 10-bit Uncompressed codec) able to provide data in original YUV 4:2:2 format (as stored in the file) to VfW software (i.e. the issue is just because Virtualdub cannot properly ask Matrox codecs to provide data in YUV 4:2:2 format) or they able to provide data to any VfW software in RGBA32 format only (i.e. internally recalculated from original YUV 4:2:2 format and loosing this way the initial data precision).

2. If I capture with Matrox A/V tools to 10-bit Matrox Uncompressed AVI file - can this file be opened later with other supported Matrox software (i.e. Adobe, Avid, etc) in original 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 format delivering full 10-bit precision? Or to be able to work with 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 data in Matrox supported software the file should be captured in the same software only (Adobe capture for Adobe, Avid capture for Avid, etc)?

3. If I capture with Virtualdub (instead of Matrox A/V tools), it captures video OK, however also shows input format as RGBA32 only, i.e. at first it is already recalculated capture input instead of original YUV 4:2:2, and further it loses 10-bit input option at all. So the question again is: Is it a some kind of Virtualdub's inablility to properly ask Matrox drivers for YUV 4:2:2 (10-bit or at least 8-bit) capture data format or is it an internal limitation of Matrox MXO2 drivers to provide to 3rd party unsupported software RGBA32 capture data only?

4. If I open in Matrox A/V tools the previously captured Matrox 10-bit Uncompressed AVI file and use Grab Frame feature it also saves the grabbed image as 32-bit tga (8 bit per R/G/B color as I see) file loosing original 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 precision. Is (or will be) there a way in Matrox A/V tools to grab a frame preserving original YUV format and original 10-bit precision, i.e. in yuv format or at least in some 16-bit/color RGB format.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: