Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expresscard not locking into slot on MacBookPro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Expresscard not locking into slot on MacBookPro Reply with quote

-- Late 2007 MacBookPro 17" (Model 2,1) Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz

The MXO2 Expresscard seems very easy to pull from the /34 slot with only a slight tug on the device (or connected cable). It's clearly not fully latching to whatever capture mechanism is employed.

I don't know if this is a design flaw (the Expresscard or the Mac) or if perhaps something is broken on my MacBookPro - but it's giving me second thoughts on using this config out in the real world.

Any thoughts? If there's a redesign in the works, will there be a recall / trade-in / exchange program?

This card:

P/N 63039622001
S/N BJ75666

Thanks!
-jimmy
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy,

we have not heard of issues where the express cards are loose. Do you have another express card to try to see if the MacBook might be at fault? Would you have access to another Macbook to see if the same thing happens?

Regards

Peter

Matrox Video Technical Support
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have not heard of issues where the express cards are loose

Well thats actually quite surprising Peter, as it is a common complaint which Matrox are very definitely aware of. Have a quick gander at this recent review by Steve Douglas over on the Creative COW website:

http://www.lafcpug.org/reviews/review_mxo2.html

Quote:
One thing that could not be remedied when using the MacBook Pro is the very tentative fit of the Matrox PCIe express card. It inserts easily to the Mac Pro's express slot, but its' ability to stay put is very poor. The slightest nudge on the cable repeatedly caused it to pop out. Matrox is aware of this and I am sure they will modify the design sometime in the future.

It happens on mine too Sad
jimmy
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I compared the MXO2 Express34 card with a couple of others - a Verizon broadband modem card (dont recall make) and a SanDisk SxS media card.

The lower locking "lip" on the very end of the Verizon and SanDisk cards is very "abrupt" in terms of taper - and allows the latching mechanism in the MacBookPro to catch the lip and lock firmly.

The lower lip of the MXO2's card - in relative terms - is more like a ramp... with a taper from front to back perhaps 6 to 8 times the length (end to front) as the other cards that properly lock.

It's that lengthy taper on the MXO2 that is preventing the MBP's locking mechanism from engaging - thus enabling the way-too-easy removal.

I didn't have a macro lens available to take a good closeup picture of the two, but if you can't figure out what I'm talking about I can draw a picture tomorrow.

thanks-
-jimmy
jimmy
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Peter wrote:
Hi Jimmy,

we have not heard of issues where the express cards are loose. Do you have another express card to try to see if the MacBook might be at fault?

Right at the moment, no - but I'm working on it. I've seen some other mentions of this on the Intarwebs, but don't recall the exact model of MacBookPro at fault.

I'll have in some Sony SxS cards over the weekend and will see if those lock in properly.

Thanks!
-jimmy
jimmy
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Unscientific photographic example Reply with quote

:
:

Cards shown "upside down" to highlight differences in locking tab shapes.

This should at least help visually clarify things a bit Smile

thanks-
-jimmy
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jimmy,

Thank you providing us with this information. I wanted to update you and let you know that we are currently investigating this and I will update this thread as soon we have more information.

Regards,

Peter

Matrox Video Technical Support
filmview
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Locking problem for me too Reply with quote

I've had the same issue from Day 1. Very annoying.
The card often pops out from my MBP (2.4 Core @ Duo).
All in all I'm disappointed with this box.
Matrox literature led me to believe I'd be able to capture HD @ ProRes to my MBP laptop. Haven't had any success with this at all without dropping frames and the latency issues with SD & HD capture are killing me when I capture live on commercial shoots.
I hope future updates reduce the latency issues and get rid of a lot of the bugs mentioned on these forums.
Yes, I am running the latest 1.3.1 driver.
jimmy
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Locking problem for me too Reply with quote

filmview wrote:

All in all I'm disappointed with this box.

Don't give up hope; as one who has been editing on Avid systems since 1990 you'll just have to trust me on that one Smile

I'm taking my Express/34 card to NAB next week so I can compare and see if there have yet been any design mods. My guess is not yet, but ultimately I think Matrox will remedy this situation.

regards-
-jimmy
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox literature led me to believe I'd be able to capture HD @ ProRes to my MBP laptop

Filmview, I should think you would have grounds for serious complaint if you have any evidence of this misleading literature ... personally, other than the very very recent announcement of specific support for capture of 23.98 fps 720p @ to ProRes 422 with the MXO2 on a MBP, I've not seen anything that even remotely alludes towards capture of ProRes at HD resolutions being possible with the MXO2 on any dual core Mac. If this literature is online would you please post a link, or if its printed info maybe you could scan it and post it for us? I'm pretty sure we could get Matrox to change it if nothing else.

Last edited by Andy Mees on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Matrox has an MXO2 FAQ section where it confirms that the MXO2 can capture to ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ in realtime.
However, the answer to question 4 explains the MXO2's capture capacity with the MacBook Pro CPUs and ProRes 422 HQ (Quote from FAQ page):
Quote:
On systems with a 2.4 GHz or faster Core2 Duo CPU you can capture to SD ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ in realtime. On systems with at least two Dual-Core or a Quad-Core 2.4 GHz or faster CPU you can also capture to HD ProRes422 and ProRes 422 HQ 720P or 1080i in real time.

To capture ProRes 422 HQ with the MXO2 without dropping frames, the MXO2 would require the computer to have at least two Dual-Core or a Quad-Core, therefore this cannot be done on a MacBook Pro. Matrox is aware of this workflow and is investigating potential workarounds.

Kind regards,

JC
Customer Care Representative
Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd. - Corporate Headquarters
End-user video editing products group
tim@videoloungeproductions.com
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: card slipping out of MacBook pro 2.8 MGZ unibody Reply with quote

Mine won't stay in at all and doesn't connect the MXO2, all other sxs cards etc, lock in fine
mvp
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: card slipping out of MacBook pro 2.8 MGZ unibody Reply with quote

hope i'm not causing a firestorm posting in this old thread... i had this happen to me today when i moved my mbp and the cable going to the mxo2 was pinned down by, you guessed it, the mxo2 itself! and it ended up yanking out the card! i tried to put it back in but it wouldn't stay so i actually pushed it in and noticed this weird little spring action (guess this unlocked it) and the next time i went to push in the card it locked. after this happened i wanted to make sure it wouldn't keep happening so i tried pulling it out myself and it didn't come out too easily but it still did...

so i rigged up a 0.99$ fix and now even the hulk can't pull the card out! check it out!

and i have to agree with andy on the whole pro res capture on a mbp. all i've seen from matrox is what he mentioned. i'm sure if you dig through the matrox homepage they'll list required specs for working with pro res.
redcanary
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Matrox card not latching in Macbook Pro. Reply with quote

Im having this same problem. The first two times I inserted the card - it stayed in fine. The third time, couldn't get it to stay locked in. I guess I'll try the velcro technique. This is my first Matrox product and I hope they can remedy this issue for us.

Todd

Last edited by redcanary on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimmy
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Matrox card not latching in Macbook Pro. Reply with quote

redcanary wrote:
This is my first Matrox product and I hope the can remedy this issue for us.

Todd

Based on a conversation with Matrox out at the NAB show plus some further research on the Intarwebs, I think this is more Apple's fault than anything else... either by flawed design of the slot, bad specs to manufacturers, or (most likely) both. I've since done the Velcro approach but am holding off on doing anything physically to the card until I can get the time to open up the MBP and look at the actual mechanism itself.

As soon as I get anything solid I'll post back here.

-jimmy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: