Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New MXO2 user looking for help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pontoneer
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: New MXO2 user looking for help Reply with quote

Apologies if this is a bit of a long ramble , but I am new to using Matrox , although not to video editing ( having been shooting since the 1970's and cut my teeth on Sony Type5 U-matic kit ) , and NLE since the turn of the Millennium when I got my first iMac DV and a Sony DCR VX1000 .

Hopefully below I have included enough information to help diagnose what is happening ...

I just bought a used MXO2 from a seller on eBay at the end of last week . It came with a PCIe card for use in my MacPro , an express card34 for use in my MacBook Pro , and a Thunderbolt adaptor which I don't currently need .

The plan is to primarily use it at home with my Mac Pro ( it is a Mac Pro 3,1 8 core x 2.8GHz , with 16Gb RAM , running OSX El Capitan and FCP 7 ) .

I understand that El Capitan is not officially supported , but I have read posts on here from other users who have used the MXO series successfully under El Capitan .

The reason I purchased this unit was that I just acquired a JVC GY-HD251 camcorder which , in HDV mode , records in 720p 25 ( here in the UK ) and my existing Sony HDV deck will not output this format via Firewire , but it does via component or CVBS outputs ( I have viewed this output working on a small field monitor ) . Although I can ingest material to my computer via Firewire from the camcorder and it works , the Firewire ports on these camcorders have a reputation for being electronically fragile so I don't want to continue using it long term ( other than for my Firestore FS4 HD recorder , from which I can also ingest material to the computer and have done so successfully ) .

While I still have another Sony HDV 1080i camcorder which I will continue to use the Sony Deck for , and get footage from other camcorders at times , I would have liked to be able to play in material from my JVC camcorder , using the deck rather than the camcorder for capturing .

Besides the Firewire output ( which works directly into the computer ) the JVC camera also has HD-SDI out , which I have tried using without success .

I had thought that the MXO2 would have allowed me to import material played out from my Sony deck via component ( which according to the Sony user manual does support 720p 25 playback ) .

I initially installed the Mountain Lion Matrox drivers ( which were the last ones still supporting FCP 7.0.3 ) , and with these installed the Matrox powers on with the computer , showing a steady blue light , the Matrox MXO2 pane opens in System preferences , showing the unit with its serial no , and I can go through the various settings , choosing component video in and unbalanced RCA inputs ; in the two tabs furthest to the right ( am at work now so don't have the machine in front of me ) I was selecting the appropriate video formats etc ( tried both 720p 25 - 8 bit and 10 bit ) . Once selecting various settings I am able to save presets within Matrox .

Within FCP 7 all the Matrox capture presets show up and again I was able to select Matrox MXO2 720p 25 ( 8 bit or 10 bit - tried both ) , also tried some of the Apple Prores settings , all to no avail . When I go to Log and Capture I just get a blank screen .

I also tried the CVBS input on the Matrox and used some of the PAL capture settings ( I can see the CVBS output from the deck displaying on my field monitor , but don't have a component input monitor and have to presume the deck is outputting this OK ) , but am getting nothing using this input either . As a last resort , I tried using the HD-SDI output from my camera into the Matrox , and everything blank .

I would have liked to have used HD-SDI into the Matrox since this ought to be better , and some of the higher end Sony decks have this output .

I also tried using Matrox Vetura capture , but this just quits as soon as it is launched .

Now , knowing these Matrox utilities were for Mountain Lion , which is a much older OS than I am running , I then tried downloading and installing the most up to date Matrox software , which i know is intended for use with FCPX and not FCP7 ; so I also downloaded and installed a trial version of FCPX ( although I am not a fan of that version ) .

Again the Matrox software installed OK onto my computer ( after first uninstalling the older version , shutting down , restarting etc etc ) and shows up in system prefs with the serial no , and allows me to choose AV input , and video formats as before .

I then found that FCPX does not allow direct ingestion , so turned again to Vetura capture , which does work with this version of software and on El Capitan , but as before , having tried various settings and inputs on the Matrox , all I get is a black screen in the capture window .

Can anyone suggest anything that I might obviously be missing , I have downloaded and printed the MXO2 user manual and am slowly working my way through it , although I have some technical knowledge I struggle with some of it .

My last resort might be to install the PCIe card into my old PowerMac G5 , which still runs Lion 10.5.8 and Final Cut Express HD , and see how that works , then use that machine for capture and move files across my network , but that really is a last resort , not least since the deck would be connected to one computer via Firewire and another via component , which I would be uneasy with .

I haven't tried using the Matrox with my MBP ( a 2009 Unibody model also running El Capitan ) since I really only bought it to capture footage into my home edit system .
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

To confirm, are you currently now running El Capitan OSX with MXO2 4.6.0.0006 drivers?

These drivers support FCPX (and not FCP7) as you mentioned, however, FCPX does not support ingest. The Matrox Vetura Capture should work.

What is the input source signal you are using with Matrox Vetura and 4.6 drivers?
Have you selected the appropriate signal in the MXO2 preferences for A/V input?

Please send us a screenshot of the Vetura capture settings and AV input settings in System Preferences.

See our list of supported input signals and formats on page 174+: ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/video/doc/Matrox%20MXO2%20Installation%20and%20User%20Guide_4.5.1.pdf
Please note the MXO2 does not support input format of 720p25. We do support 720p50 format.
Pontoneer
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam ,

yes I am running El Capitan OSX and I have a trial version of FCPX installed ( as well as my full version of FCP 7 ) .

I am trying to capture from my Sony HVR M15e deck , using the component output ; it is playing a tape recorded on my JVC GY-HD251 camcorder at 720p25 ( I will try 720p50 tonight ) .

I had in the Matrox preferences , under the AV input pane , selected component input and unbalanced RCA audio in .

Also in the Matrox preferences there were options for 720p25 8 bit , and 720p25 10 bit ( I had tried both ) .

Because FCPX does not support capture I had used Vetura , and selected the same capture settings there .

I wasn't aware that 720p 25 was not supported since they are there as options , but will try 720p 50 later and see how it goes .

I presume that if I capture using Vetura , I can then just import the captured file into FCP 7 afterwards , and not bother with FCP X ?

I'm still at work , but will try all this tonight when I get home and will post up screenshots at that time .

Thanks very much for your assistance thus far .
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output format of the Sony device? Let us know your results and make sure the source format is set to matching settings of the input settings in Vetura.
Pontoneer
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Sam wrote:
What is the output format of the Sony device? Let us know your results and make sure the source format is set to matching settings of the input settings in Vetura.

Hi , OK problem solved : I was confusing Source video format settings with Capture Format , and I now understand that a source video can be captured as a different format .

I was able to record 720p 50 onto tape , then play back from the HD-SDI output of my camcorder and capture this through the MX02 in its native format . I can then import the captured file to either FCP 7 or FCP X .

At present I am still using my camcorder to do this , something I was trying to avoid , so as to minimise hours on the camcorder's tape transport .

The Sony HVR M15AE deck I have , has to date been used to capture DV , DVCAM and HDV 1080 footage from my other camcorders , all through Firewire straight into FCP 7 . Alas , while the Sony deck plays back 720p 24 and 720p 25 recorded tapes from my new JVC camera , but only via analogue component , it won't play 720p 50 material at all . I may end up having to buy a JVC deck to do this as these two companies seem to record mutually incompatible formats .

At least the MX02 will come in handy to convert footage at capture so that everything on a timeline is to the same format so I still see it as a useful piece of kit .

I can confirm that the MX02 , with the version 4.6 drivers work well under OSX El Capitan , even if not officially supported , and that material captured via Vetura can then be imported into FCP .

For me , the problem was just that I was trying to input an unsupported source video format .
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed updates, and great to hear that all is working well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: