Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mtx.utils V8.0 and VFW not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlummel
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Mtx.utils V8.0 and VFW not working Reply with quote

I ran into a problem when I upgraded the drivers for my MXO2 Mini to v8.0 I really need to solve.

I can no longer playback or encode in 3rd party app like Windows Media Player or Sony Vegas, though the MXO2 Mini works fine in CS6. I can also playback Matrox M701 video in Leawo Blu-ray Player, which I'm pretty sure uses Directshow.

I really need to be able to export from Sony Vegas in the Matrox MPEG2 codec. I have one video producer that uses Vegas only and I've gotten him to send me project exports with all the raw files, but need to be able to export the movies to a format that retains the quality and doesn't take forever and a day to render to.

But Vegas can't see the codec right now, nor can any other VFW app.

Please help!

Thanks,
James

System config:
HP Z800 Workstation
Dual Xeon X5670 Hex-Core Processors @ 2.93GHz
24GB DDR3 ECC DRAM
Evga nVidia GTX 580
Matrox MXO2 Mini
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
Mtx.utils v8.0
Adobe Production Premium CS6
Sony Vegas Pro 13
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not support Sony Vegas software with Matrox drivers. The v8.0 drivers have not been tested nor certified in this unsupported configuration.

Please use Adobe CS6 software to perform encoding to Matrox codecs.
jlummel
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seemed to miss the gist of my problem (of which Sony Vegas was but an example)!!

I am unable to play or create Matrox MPEG2 files with any app using VFW, including Windows Media Player or Premiere Pro CS6 itself. Note that it's NOT just a problem encoding or creating files, I can NOT play back Matrox files with VFW as the codecs are not found.

You may not support Sony Vegas, but you DO support Video for Windows (VFW) functionality (it's even covered in the manual) and this functionality of the Matrox utilities is not working for me.

Blowing off customers who have been with you since the RT.2000, just because they mention other apps like Sony Vegas, is disingenuous! I thought you guys were better than that! Please don't take a shortcut on technical support and, simply because I mention an unsupported app, decide I don't really need your help!

I'm seeking assistance for a feature that Matrox DOES support (VFW) and that I should have every expectation should be functional (regardless of the apps I use it with), so please at least TRY to be helpful...
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

You mentioned "though the MXO2 Mini works fine in CS6", are you confirming that Mtx.utils v8.0 drivers with MXO2 Mini hardware works while stand-alone VFW latest 2.0 codecs in CS6 Premiere does not work?

We do support Matrox Mtx.utils and VFW codec functionality via the tested applications and softwares such as Premiere, After Effects etc. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the results with additional softwares which have not been tested.

ie The supported applications pdf for Mtx.utils 8.0 with MXO2 hardware does not include Sony Vegas.

The Matrox VFW codecs do not show up in Premiere 6.0.5? Vegas?
Are you running the VFW 2.0 codecs?
Did this work with previous VFW codec version?
jlummel
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a long reply with lots of details and that post is now missing!

So to sum it up.

I only have Mtx.utils installed as in the past I've never needed to install the codec pack as a separate action. The documentation for v8.0 does not indicate that I would need to do this now either. So the codecs are whatever version come with Mtx.utils v8.0.

I have Mtx.utils v8.0 loaded, previously I had been using Mtx.utils v7.1 (for Lightworks functionality, which I'm no longer using so I updated).

The VFW functionality was working fine up to the point I installed v.8.0. I could playback Matrox files in Windows Media Player and could export from both Premiere Pro CS6 as a VFW AVI, and with Sony Vegas. After installing v8.0 the VFW codecs are not found.

While I can use Matrox video on my timelines in Premiere Pro CS6, and can export to a 'Matrox AVI' using a Matrox Preset, if I try to export to an 'AVI' file using a Matrox codec it fails because it is unable to find the VFW codecs.

Here are the answers to your questions:

The Matrox VFW codecs do not show up in Premiere 6.0.5? Vegas?
No, not in either.

Are you running the VFW 2.0 codecs?
Whatever codecs are part of the Mtx.utils v8.0 package. I have not installed the codec separately as this was not needed in the past and nothing in the v8.0 documentation indicated I needed to do this now.

Did this work with previous VFW codec version?
This had worked with all previous Mtx.utils versions I've used, up to v8.0, but as mentioned above I do not install the codec packs separately.
jlummel
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's embarrassing! I never actually clicked the submit button the post that was "missing" Embarassed
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, we see your latest reply.

Are you running Premiere 6.0.5?

Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the Mtx.utils 8.0.0.15342 driver?
Please follow these steps:
- uninstall the current MXO2 drivers
- download and right-click the Mtx.utils exe file and select Properties. Under the General tab, click unblock (at the bottom) if it is seen.
- Make sure the UAC option is turned off (set to Never Notify in Windows 7 settings) before running the MXO2 setup * may need to reboot
To disable UAC option or set it to Never Notify in Windows 7, please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975787
- Run Mtx.utils setup and then make sure a full reboot and power cycle is performed (after install is complete, shutdown PC, disconnect MXO2 power for several seconds, reconnect power of MXO2 and then power up the PC)
- re-enable UAC option if needed

If you are still not seeing the Matrox software codecs, can you try rolling back the 8.0 driver to 7.7.2.2018 drivers?
jlummel
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm running Premiere 6.0.5.

I did the re-install as per your instructions, no joy.

I also installed the earlier version of Mtx.utils v7.7.2 as suggested and no joy (Note- I had skipped v7.7.2 originally and had not used it previous to installing v8.0 so I could not say definitively that it ever worked on my system, though the version prior to v7.7.2 worked, as did v7.1 for use with Lightworks).

The Matrox VFW codecs are still not showing up. I have installed and updated GoPro Studio since this problem with the Matrox Codecs occurred and the GoPro Cineform Codec shows up fine in VFW, so it's not a problem with VFW (otherwise I would see a problem with other codecs as well).

Please advise.

James
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,

We would like to send you previous 7.7.1 and 7.6.1 drivers to verify if either of these work on your system. If neither work, we can send you v7.1 (a driver which you know certainly worked). Uploaded to wetransfer: http://we.tl/mQjLvALPjo

Since we cannot reproduce the issue here using 8.0 drivers, we want to determine if something on your system changed or a Windows update which may have caused this.

If possible, please try a previous version of the Mtx.utils which you know may have worked. This way we can determine if a driver was broken or something on your particular setup.

Thanks for your help.
jlummel
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 7.1 drivers here and on a whim I tried them out after testing the 7.7.2, and VFW under 7.1 is not working either, though it used to.

As I mentioned other 3rd party VFW codecs work, but the Matrox codecs have seemed to stop working! What could prevent them from working properly?

James
jlummel
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

Solved the problem and you will not believe what it was! Shocked

Somehow or another at some point the 8dot3 short file name generation was turned off on my system for all volumes. It had to have been somewhere between the time I installed v7.1 for using Lightworks and when I updated to v8.0 after I shelved Lightworks a couple of months later.

With the short file name generation turned off the VFW drivers were inserted into the registry with paths that used the long file names (with spaces). VFW is (by computer standards) an ancient technology that obviously was never updated to account for long names and/or spaces in the file paths, and was not able to load the drivers.

Simply re-enabling 8dot3 files names on the system drive and doing an uninstall/reinstall of mtx.utils generated the proper 8dot3 file names and these were used for the VFW registry entries.

Now I have the VFW functionality back and can export to a Matrox MPEG2 AVI from Sony Vegas!

And I'm a happy camper again! Very Happy
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the update and glad to hear you found the problem.

This explains it as well: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/121007
Quote:
Note: Although disabling 8.3 file name creation increases file performance under Windows, some applications (16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit) may not be able to find files and directories that have long file names.

We will close this posting, but let us know if you need further assistance in the future.
erwin9
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(thank you Sam for unlocking)

Here is one more explanation:

Starting With Windows 8 and then Windows 10, we need to install Matrox Mtx.utils, or the Matrox VFW codecs V2, to the OS drive, generally C:.

Indeed, as mentioned by jlummel, VFW codecs are an old technology using 8.3 short names.

And starting with Windows 8, all drives except the OS one (C: in general) are set to 8dot3 disabled by default.
This can be seen in in "fsutil 8dot3name query C:" and "fsutil 8dot3name query D:" for example on a CLI prompt in a Windows 10 system:

Quote:
D:\>fsutil 8dot3name query D:
The volume state is: 1 (8dot3 name creation is disabled).
The registry state is: 2 (Per volume setting - the default).

Based on the above two settings, 8dot3 name creation is disabled on D:

D:\>fsutil 8dot3name query C:
The volume state is: 0 (8dot3 name creation is enabled).
The registry state is: 2 (Per volume setting - the default).

Based on the above two settings, 8dot3 name creation is enabled on C:

See:
http://scug.be/sccm/2013/01/15/configmgr-2012-sp1-the-8dot3name-settings-are-disabled-on-the-volumes-upon-partitioning-and-formatting-of-the-local-disk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB_5Zr7L3kU

We could re-enable it on the wished drive before installing Mtx.utils or Matrox VFW codecs, by using appropriate "fsutil 8dot3name set ..." commands.
Or simply install to C:, trying to respect the OS default, and all willl be fine until Microsoft decides to disable 8dot3 also on the OS drive.

Hope this helps, erwin9.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed update erwin9!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: