Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubleshooting 'Dropped Frames'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan J
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting 'Dropped Frames' Reply with quote

Seeing there is no "general troubleshooting" I'll place this here, and if the folks feel it's being needed elsewhere, please move it!

In the area for PC Prior to CC Adobe MXO2 area, I posted a couple issues, one of which the good Support folks here fixed remotely, and another I seemingly fixed with new drives....

I've since had "Dropped Frames" issues, that is Not Matrix Related, but the solution is subtle enough that I'm reporting it as a help to others...

Using PC Adobe CS6, and MXO2, My media disc controller has 1 spinning drive Raid 0, and a spinning drive Adobe Cache and Video Database Cache drive.

2+ Years ago I changed the Cache and Video Database Cache Drive from spinning drive to Samsung 840 SSD. with Improved performance.

Last year, in conjunction with a move across country and upgrade of Matrox drivers, I encountered dropped frames. and other Matrox issues.
Matrox helped with the Matrox issues, but dropped frames continued.
I bought 2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD's, and that got around dropped frame issues... but they still happened on spinning drive Raid 0.

Now here's the crazy part.... Testing individual media storage drives gives same R/W as when new!!! ????

In past couple weeks, it was determined that the Samsung 840 disk had degraded in performance... Went from 200+ R/W to 100+ R/W. I hadn't tested this Cache drive before, just media storage drives. This is the drive that is slowing down CS6
Firmware on Samsung is current.
This drive degrades performance on older data.. Someone suggested copying data to another drive, deleting data on Samsung SSD (Cache/Video Database) and then copying it back again....
Did that, and performance went from 100+ R/W back to 200+ R/W, and low and behold, Adobe stopped dropping frames, even on spinning hard drive Raid 0!!!!

Conclusion: When you have multiple disk drives operating with a program that uses all of them simultaneously... If one drive slows down, and is needed in conjunction with other drives, they'll all act slow!

P.S. I'm replacing the Samsung 840 with a SanDisk Ultra II that is larger and faster.....

Jan
MSV
(MXO2 Rack with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Just curious to ask, what was the program you tested the disk speed with? This is interesting info, because I have been struggling with dropped frames too and I am using Samsung 840 SSD:s as well. With one exception, my 840 are the pro versions. I would like to use the same program to test the speed than you. That way I can compare the speed values better with yours.

-Mika-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: