Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excessive audio distortion on playback with peaked audio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2015 (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilaevans
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Excessive audio distortion on playback with peaked audio Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've just started running Premiere CC 2015 with an MX02 on El Capitan (edited to add: the same problem exists on Yosemite - see below). Video playback seems fine, but we're having terrible audio distortion problems whenever audio peaks over 0 db - basically really bad crackling/static sounds. Obviously peaked audio has to be dealt with before final mix, but this the distortion is MUCH worse than I've encountered before in this situation - it really sounds like the speakers are set to explode at any second, even at low levels. This occurs only when Matrox Player is selected as the audio device in PrP playback preferences. If I select Adobe Desktop Audio instead, there is no additional distortion at the peaks (I have both the Mac audio out and Matrox audio out running through a mixing board). I've tried turning on the "attenuate analog audio by 4db" preference in the Matrox Utilities control panel, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-N

Last edited by neilaevans on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
neilaevans
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add - after further testing, I see the problem under Yosemite as well as El Cap, so it doesn't appear that the unsupported OS is the culprit. Also, it does not appear to be project specific - two different PrP projects with totally different media have the same issue.

The problem does not happen with FCP 7 (obviously my FCP 7 system is running a different version of the Matrox drivers than the PrP system).
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm you are running with MXO2 4.6.0.0006 software drivers?

Did you make sure to install MXO2 drivers after installing and updating Adobe apps? What version of Adobe CC 2015 update are you running?

When using Adobe applications, please set the System Sound > Audio for Input and Output to a non-Matrox audio device.

Can you close Premiere, and verify your System Sound Preferences for Input and Output are not set to Matrox? Set the audio device to a non-Matrox device ie Built in Line Output.

Then open Premiere and verify Audio Hardware in Premiere Preferences is not set to Matrox as well. This setting should be a non-Matrox audio, ie Built in Line Output .
neilaevans
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am using the Matrox 4.6.0006 drivers, which were installed after installing and updating the Adobe CC 2015 apps. The version of Premiere is is 9.2.0. I have checked that System Sound Preferences are not Matrox (with Premiere closed) and Matrox is not selected in the Audio Hardware preferences within Premiere. Matrox is selected with the Playback preferences in Premiere.

And although my main system is running El Capitan, I booted off of a Yosemite partition and did the full install of Adobe then Matrox, and had the exact same issue.

Thanks,
Neil
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not had reports regarding this type of issue. What audio signal are you outputting from MXO2? RCA, XLR, HDMI?

Do you get the same distortion through a set of speakers from MXO2 audio output?
neilaevans
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,
The sound is going from the RCA outs on the MX02 into a mixing board and then to M-Audio speakers. I haven't tried taking the mixing board out of it and just going straight to the speakers - given that every other circumstance (non Matrox audio source, or FCP 7 through Matrox) gives undistorted audio.

Is that what you mean about "a set of speakers from MX02 audio output"? I'm not clear.

Thanks.
neilaevans
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,
The sound is going from the RCA outs on the MX02 into a mixing board and then to M-Audio speakers. I haven't tried taking the mixing board out of it and just going straight to the speakers - given that every other circumstance (non Matrox audio source, or FCP 7 through Matrox) gives undistorted audio.

Is that what you mean about "a set of speakers from MX02 audio output"? I'm not clear.

Thanks.

EDIT TO ADD: I've also just deleted and then reinstalled the Matrox drivers, being sure to select "delete user preferences" when uninstalling, as I hadn't done that before. It makes no difference.

EDIT EDIT TO ADD: Sorry for the double post - I was having some weirdness with the board yesterday.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an MXO2 Mini? If not, can you try going out XLR audio?

Does the mixing board have phantom power?

Can you try bypassing the mixing board as a test?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2015 (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: