Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI-> Thunderbolt and independent Thunderbolt -> HDMI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Krauter
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: HDMI-> Thunderbolt and independent Thunderbolt -> HDMI Reply with quote

I am a VJ and I need to input video from an HDMI camcorder while simultaneously outputting a different video stream to a video projector.

I need to do this with a single Thunderbolt port on my MacBook Pro. Can the MX02 support this configuration?

simple live video workflow:
IN: consumer camcorder w/ HDMI connector -> MX02 -> Mac video in via Thunderbolt -> VJ mixing software

OUT: VJ mixing software -> Mac video out via Thunderbolt -> MX02 -> video projector via HDMI.

In other words, I need support for independent video in and out streams NOT simple pass-through of the camcorder HDMI output.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the contacting us and for your interest in the MXO2 Mini.

Which VJ Mixing software are you using? Does it support Quicktime captures?

What is your MAC OSX version?

What is the video format you wish to connect to the input of the MXO2?

What type of connection do you wish to use (HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite)?

If you are on a MAC OSX such as 10.7.5 or 10.8.5 or even 10.9.5, then we do have Quicktime-based drivers that support Quicktime captures. We do test and validate certain specific applications but other Quicktime-based apps should work as well. I can setup a quick test for you once I know setup details.

During the capture on a MAC platform, your video input source format will be output from the MXO2 using the targeted capture format specified in the capture application. However, the formats must use compatible frame rates and the video output support list of the MXO2 must be followed (list outlining which formats are supported from the specific output ports of the MXO2; hdmi, component, s-video, composite; list is available in our documentation)

Connecting the MXO2 to a Thunderbolt-enabled MAC is supported using our Thunderbolt adapter.

I will look for your reply.
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VJ software: Modul8 which supports Quicktime video capture in a variety of formats
OSX version: 10.8.5
video format: MP4 1280x720p
input connector: HDMI
output connector: HDMI, video format 1280x720p

live video workflow:
IN: consumer camcorder w/ HDMI connector streaming live 1280x720p MP4 -> MX02 -> Mac video in via Thunderbolt -> VJ mixing software

OUT: VJ mixing software where video from camera is combined in real time with other video clips to create a mixed video output -> Mac video out via Thunderbolt -> MX02 -> video projector via HDMI.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eric,

I ran a quick test.

- MAC 10.8.5
- MXO2 2.6.1.0001 driver
- Input 720p 59.94 via HDMI
- Capture in Modul8 2.9 (demo) is successful. You will see Matrox appear in the - Modul8 Video Input Preferences. Select the matching 720p 59.94 format.
- Video at input is being passed through successfully to HDMI output.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.
Eric Krauter
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
Thanks for your timely reply. I think there may be some confusion as to what I am doing.

If you will refer to the live video workflow I posted in my previous comment, I need to pass video out that is NOT THE SAME as the video coming in. Please take a close look at the workflow. I think it is pretty clear what I am trying to do.

So my question still remains; can I use the MX02 for HDMI video IN and have an INDEPENDENT STREAM of video from the DJ software going out through the same Thunderbolt port and through the MX02 to my projector?

If that is not possible, does Matrox sell a product that will convert HDMI video IN to HDV via firewire? I have an open firewire port on my Mac that I could use for the video input.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

In your setup details, you listed 720p as both the video input and output. Is this correct? Please clarify the exact video format (frame size and frame rate that you wish to input into the HDMI port of the MXO2; and what is the exact format you wish to see on the HDMI output of the MXO2?

The Matrox Thunderbolt adapter is used for connectivity only; it does not input or output video. Matrox Video does not sell any products that integrate with firewire ports.

According to your workflow description, the MXO2 is a good fit.

Here are the steps you need to follow once you have connected the MXO2 to your MAC (whether by Thunderbolt adapter, PCI-e adapter for desktop, or pci express/34 adapter for laptops) and installed the 2.6.1.0001 driver:

1. Connect camera to MXO2 via HDMI cable (this is a direct connection)
2. Open Modul8 and configure capture preferences
3. Start capture in Modul8

When the Modul8 application is open and configured to input its video with the MXO2, it automatically activates video pass-through to the MXO2 outputs.

So this means that the MXO2 will allow you to input video intoModul8 and simultaneous output on its HDMI output port.

Please clarify the exact video formats and frames you wish to have at the input and output of the MXO2.
Eric Krauter
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be 720p 30fps both in and out.

I guess I'm just confused when you say "pass-through". Usually when I see that phrase it means that the output is just passing the input video for monitoring purposes and not passing an independent stream. If it can send video out that is independent of the incoming video, then it would be the right product for me.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Eric,

Ok I now better understand what you are asking. I apologize but this did not 'click' with me with the other posts. The reason I used the term pass-through was to attempt to explain that the video output from the MXO2 (during the Modul8 capture session) will be the exact same video that is the input; however with a different format (if desired, provided frame rates match). If you are looking to have different video 'content', then this is not possible in this or other applications.
leeoverstreet
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Testing Reply with quote

No new posts or responses in months. Attempting a post gives an error message. You guys still supporting this forum?
leeoverstreet
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Sorry for the off topic comment Reply with quote

A response to this topic is the only way I've managed a successful post without an error message. Trying to start a new one fails. So, my apologies for the off topic message.

Anyone mind if I post an MXO2 mini question here if that's my only successful method? Smile
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry for the off topic comment Reply with quote

leeoverstreet wrote:
A response to this topic is the only way I've managed a successful post without an error message. Trying to start a new one fails. So, my apologies for the off topic message.

Anyone mind if I post an MXO2 mini question here if that's my only successful method? Smile

Hi. Yes, this forum is active and all posts are being answered. Do you already own a MXO2 Mini or are you looking to purchase? If you own one, then please register your product (if not already done) and then post your question in the appropriate tech support forum or call our support line or send an email to mxosupport@matrox.com.

To avoid problems when posting on the forums, do not type any special characters in your message or title. Just basic text/numeric characters and single quotes are fine.

If you are looking to purchase, then please start a new post in the pre-sales section or call us.

Our contact numbers are listed here: http://www.matrox.com/video/en/contact/
leeoverstreet
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! Thanks Matrox_Support_Joe! I do not yet own a MXO2 mini but am very much looking to purchase. I tried responsing as a guest with this same user name, which I have done before, in response to my old post in 2014. I also tried starting a new topic here in the same manner. In both cases, across multiple attempts, I got an error message from your server saying "Not Found - The requested URL /mxo/antispam_check.php was not found on this server." I'm using no special characters Weird.

And just now as I copied the text of my questions into this response, I got the same error message!
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeoverstreet wrote:
Hooray! Thanks Matrox_Support_Joe! I do not yet own a MXO2 mini but am very much looking to purchase. I tried responsing as a guest with this same user name, which I have done before, in response to my old post in 2014. I also tried starting a new topic here in the same manner. In both cases, across multiple attempts, I got an error message from your server saying "Not Found - The requested URL /mxo/antispam_check.php was not found on this server." I'm using no special characters Weird.

And just now as I copied the text of my questions into this response, I got the same error message!

You're welcome. Ok please just send me an email at mxosupport@matrox.com with your phone number and I'll give you a call to discuss.
leeoverstreet
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll do that, and will be available to answer the phone after about 3:30 pm CST.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam