Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artificial noise capturing composite to A/V tools - MXO2mini
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I am not sure if this could affect the issue you are seeing. We do know the older analog devices experienced weaker signals which could cause loss of signal or a "dirty" signal.
erwin9
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I received the TEA2014A circuit and wired my intended design on a lab board.

Result at the oscilloscope:
- my video signal is properly amplified from 0.2 Vpp to approx. 1 Vpp at 75 ohm load, from the output of my HandyCam
-> good.

Result on the MXO2 Mini: no difference, still the vertical lines.

So the problem is not coming from a weak signal, but from something else degraded.
Remember this is also seen on the signal when processed as luminance only (input digitized as component).
So this is not a color (chrominance signal) related problem.
And things are perfect in "passthrough live mode", so a hdw problem of the MXO2 Mini board seems low probability.

Current info on the board version:
    Board ID: 5
    Production date: 2012-02-04
    No option
    Firmware revision: Primary Dev 0.15.0
    EEPROM revision: 0.3
    Memory size: 128 MB
    PCI bus info: X1 PCI Express 2.5 GHz

Anything more recent on the MXO2 Mini line which you think could solve the issue ?

At this stage, I don't see what more to do ... I guess I'll rely on the old Dazzle DVC 130 for my tape videos.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, we can try an RMA to rule out a hardware issue. If you agree, please send us a PM with MXO2 Mini serial number and email address along with shipping address.
erwin9
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I sent a PM to discuss that option.

Meanwhile, to rule out any problem related to my PC hardware or software like it seems it was the case in http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?p=6821&highlight=
I tested on another computer with a different motherboard, CPU, disk, and a fresh install (no AV, no Firewall but Windows one, minimum customization away from std .. ).

Still the same vertical lines artefact.

The only common thing is Windows 7 64 bits Ultimate, SP1 with latest fixes, besides the MXO2 Mini.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates. Please see your PM.
Slennox
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Did this problem finally get solved? How?

I am getting the same noise when capturing with my MXO2 Mini.

Thank you.
Slennox
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/i]
erwin9
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, indeed, looks like the same problem.

No, it was not solved.

I get the idea this is related to a DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) setting in the ADV7181C chip, however I have no way to test / experiment on that as these settings cannot be manipulated from outside the MXO2 Mini code (no config files or parameters .. seem to be available).

I am ready to test any release which would attempt to fix it.
Slennox
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow-up erwin9.

So I'm assuming you haven't figured out any workaround with this hardware, have you? I am in the process of digitize a huge VHS tape collection but capturing with this problem noise is a no-go for me.

Did you try an RMA?

What I can't understand is why Matrox couldn't reproduce this problem during testing/lab.
erwin9
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Slennox.

The only workaround I could figure out was to use another acquisition hardware I had, a Pinnacle Systems Dazzle DVC 130, which didn't have any problem at all with my videos nor with these hardware (HandyCam or VHS tape reader).

I couldn't go the path of an RMA, because at the time I needed my Maxtrox MO2 Mini for another regular activity on HDMI, and did not have the leisure to stop it for sending MXO2 Mini to Matrox.
Now, that path is closed, because by the time the HDMI activity was over, the support period for that device was over.

To me, this problem looks quite basic and general. I am not convinced this is a hardware problem. Given that we are not the only ones who had it (see previous links to other cases I could find in the thread), I believe it should be reproduceable by Matrox in their labs.

Hope you will have better luck than me if you can try the RMA path, that would allow to definitely sort out if this is really a hardware problem or not.
Jan J
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, let me explain a similar situation I encountered years ago, and what it turned out to be......

Years ago I was doing a commercial for a video product, and we fed video into an Ampex Zeus TBC. Ampex Zeus at that time was the best Time base corrector that was made.
I encountered some issues simelar but not exactly like yours... Enough to drive you batty... and I spent hours trying to get come to a conclusion or develop a work-around.

At that time, I had friends who worked at Ampex, and I called them, and they said they had seen this with another device, and they were fairly certain they knew what the problem was....

Ampex found out that a signal with an Extreme amount of High Frequency Jitter on the color difference signals, then exceeded the range of video that could be locked, and clocked into memory, causing in-correct colors to be seen on output that wasn't seen on input, due to the mis-locking in the color circuity.
So this game cartridge found a weakness in the Zeus.

We then tried other devices, and eventually found some device that didn't react as violently to the signal.... That, and a wide shot instead of tight shot hid the problem....
erwin9
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting .. thank you for this feedback.
Any workaround which could work on the Maxtrox MXO2 Mini then, from your experience (a device or filter to insert in the middle maybe) ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: