Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new purchase question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bh0617
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: new purchase question Reply with quote

I'm having a new system built for Adobe CS6 Production Premium and want to include a Matrox MXO card but unsure of which one. The last Matrox card I had was an RTX2 card and the 2500 before that. I've been with Matrox from the beginning and don't want to give that part up.

I receive media from all over the world in a variety of different formats, including TAPE - everything from VHS-C to mini dv. I need a box that will support those. I also receive VHS tape which I have to be able to capture using a VCR. These are NOT copywritted. I have both SD and HD media - on SD cards and flash drives. Some material (from China) is from iPhones via dropbox.

What card do I need? (Say HI to Vic for me!)

Barbara/San Antonio TEXAS USA
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barbara,

Are you having the PC built by a company that does editing systems? It is best to go with an Adobe Certified System Builder and they would also be able to install and test the Matrox hardware (and Premiere) for you to supply a turn-key system that will work out of the box.

The Matrox MXO2 Mini is likely what you would want. It is a small external breakout box with HDMI and analog inputs/outputs, including Composite, S-video and Component, with RCA stereo audio.

If you need SDI/HD-SDI, then the MXO2 LE would be in order to add that capability.

For Firewire, simply have a 1394 Firewire card installed into the PC.

You'd also want a fast USB 3.0 multi-card reader in the PC for SD card media import.

Please note that some footage from phones these days uses variable-frame-rate recording that does not edit well (sync issues) in Premiere.

I'm also a long-time Matrox user, RT.X100, RT.X2, MXO2 Mini MAX, and want to let you know that things have changed a bit. There are no more "RT" effects. Remaining Matrox effects are Color Correction (Primary and Secondary), Matrox Keying, and Matrox Transitions. The MXO2 units are basically for capture and playback/preview these days, but also do hardware scaling on capture and playback which can be handy! I do use the Matrox Color Correction tools rather than Adobe versions, love that.

The "MAX" option on any MXO2 unit provides hardware-accelerated encoding to H.264 formats such as web and Blu-ray. Also provides H.264 capture on PC side.

If you need a turnkey system quote, please look us up.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
www.sharbor.com
bh0617
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: MXO Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff for your input.

1. Is there a matrox card that has rt effects that works with CS6?
2. If all the features have been removed from the MOX cards, will the RTX2 card work for CS6 Production Premium? I especially like the Matrox move and scale feature. I use it often.
3. I do not know what SDI input is. Is that different from SD?
4. I encode all the iPhone video prior to input (with Adobe Media Encoder). I'm still on CS4 and it works perfectly. Are there issues with the matrox card and CS6 with iPhone video?
5. We do not use Blu-ray or the web.
6. Yes, I'm having the system built, but no, not by Safe Harbor. I'm so sorry, but we did that several years ago and it was the worst experience costing virtually thousands of dollars in additional repairs due to faulty and defective hardware installed by your company. The system lasted a little over a year and we had to replace almost every part, including the RTX2 card. It almost caused a fire and I'm glad I was in the room when the wires melted inside the system. Very poorly built machine.

Barbara
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MXO Reply with quote

1. Is there a matrox card that has rt effects that works with CS6?

There are NO cards from anyone these days with hardware "RT" effects, that era is over. Matrox is really the only card vendor that even offers any effects. Third-party vendors such as NewBlue FX offer GPU-accelerated transitions and effects packages for Premiere users, which will offer a lot of things similar to older RT.X2 effects.

2. If all the features have been removed from the MXO cards, will the RTX2 card work for CS6 Production Premium? I especially like the Matrox move and scale feature. I use it often.

CS5 was the last version of Premiere supported by RT.X2 and if memory serves, that also lost all RT effects, so really CS4 was the last of the "RT" editors. Premiere has built-in Motion controls with keyframing.

3. I do not know what SDI input is. Is that different from SD?

SDI = Serial Digital Interface. One coax cable with BNC connections that carries digital video and audio. Comes on higher-end broadcast gear. HD-SDI is the HD version.

4. I encode all the iPhone video prior to input (with Adobe Media Encoder). I'm still on CS4 and it works perfectly. Are there issues with the matrox card and CS6 with iPhone video?

Then you should be fine. I don't recall which phones in particular were recording with variable frame rate, read too many posts online.

5. We do not use Blu-ray or the web.

OK, then you likely do not need the MAX option.

6. Yes, I'm having the system built, but no, not by Safe Harbor. I'm so sorry, but we did that several years ago and it was the worst experience costing virtually thousands of dollars in additional repairs due to faulty and defective hardware installed by your company. The system lasted a little over a year and we had to replace almost every part, including the RTX2 card. It almost caused a fire and I'm glad I was in the room when the wires melted inside the system. Very poorly built machine.

Very sorry to hear that! Your experience is certainly not the norm and in fact many of our workstation customers are on their third of fourth systems from us. Not sure why it would've cost you a lot of money since we do warranty our systems, and even out of warranty, the brand-name components have their own warranties, such as 3 years on Matrox cards, 5 years on some hard drives, etc.

I hope you have a great experience with the new system.

Happy Holidays

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam