Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matrox Mini MXO2 and hdmi switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos.duran
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Matrox Mini MXO2 and hdmi switch Reply with quote

Hi, we try to use a hdmi 4 port switch to use 3 alternative cameras, but when I change signal between each camera the screen in FMLE freezes!!!! Is there any special configuration in matrox software to do that? Or the matrox can not work with this change in the signal from a switch? Thank you.
Carlos Duran.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carlos,

Good question. Unfortunately we don't test HDMI switchers so it's very possible that the signal switch causes an interruption in your AFMLE screen.

Can you give us your system details?

OS version:
MXO2 software version:
AFMLE version:
HDMI switcher model:

What is the video format output from the HDMI switcher?

Are all 3 video cameras outputting the same video format?
carlos.duran
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!!! Here are the data...

OS version: Mac OS 10.9.5
MXO2 software version: 2.6.1.0001
AFMLE version: 3.2.1.1122
HDMI switcher model: u-Jam HDMI 4 port switch part 08220,

What is the video format output from the HDMI switcher?
The user manual says: Supports 2.25 Gbps signaling for 480i/p, 720i/p and 1080i/p resolution with 8/10/12 color depth

Are all 3 video cameras outputting the same video format?
Yes, all in the same format
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any way that you are going to have success with this method. Your HDMI switch box is a simple physical switch that disconnects one HDMI input source, then connects another, to the output that goes to MXO2.

This is no different than you pulling out the HDMI cable from MXO2 and (very quickly) replacing it with another HDMI cable. No matter how quickly you do that, you have interrupted the video stream going into FMLE. It suddenly has no video source to encode...just interrupts the whole process.

If you connect your switch box output directly to an HDTV, you must see some sort of glitch when switching...all video capture/encoding devices are very sensitive to these things and require a stable, consistent input signal.

A solution would be to use an actual Video Switcher (not a cheap "switch-box") such as a BlackMagic ATEM Television Studio. This will cleanly switch between HDMI sources so that the HDMI output is an uninterrupted signal. Switching is electronic and sources are all synced for perfect HDMI output at all times.

Matrox offers the MicroQuad device which will accept 4 HD-SDI inputs and outputs a single HDMI stream. It synchronizes all inputs and therefore offers "clean switching" which should also work fine in your situation. Of course, you don't have HD-SDI sources, but I found an HDMI to HD-SDI converter on Amazon for $59. HD-SDI has the advantage of longer cables runs, up to 300'.

Another option would be a Matrox VS4 card, which has 4 HD-SDI inputs, and then you can use Wirecast or Vmix software for realtime switching between the 4 sources, with transitions, titles, graphics, etc. and the software also encodes the web stream, eliminates the need for MXO2 and FMLE. You'd have an all-in-one solution (one PC for switching/streaming).

I understand that you are likely on a budget (aren't we all) but there is no cheap way to get "professional" video switching results unfortunately.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We fully agree with Jeff's excellent explanation (thanks Jeff).

I just looked at your particular hdmi swtcher and read some reviews. Here is what one client had to say on the Walmart website: 'It also would freeze up my screen when I tried to cycle through my inputs.'

This type of switch is better suited for non-professional use where a glitch can be tolerated during switching.
carlos.duran
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, you are right, the cheap way to do that is not the correct, I am going to tell my boss to correct this situation, when we buy another switch I will contact you again, what is the e-mail just to make the communication faster?

Thanks again.
Carlos.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. You can reach us by email at mxosupport@matrox.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: