Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

live streaming with MX02LE

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kain
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: live streaming with MX02LE Reply with quote

Greetings,
I've got some question about MX02LE , mainly I need to understand well what this kind of device can do, i'm a newbie on this.

Basically what I need to do is to stream live event pushing the encoded signal to a streaming server like wowza,I'll try to explain you my situation.

I'll receive the raw signal (HD camera) via HDMI. That signal needs to be encoded and pushed to a wowza streaming server. The idea is to use a product like Adobe Live Encoder, FFmpeg or Wirecast to do so.

The thing that I cannot understand is , the output video from the MX02LE needs to be encoded again using those product I mentioned later or it can be sent as it is from the matrox device? In case that I need to encode it again, what's the benefits of having a MX02LE if I need to encode the video again for a second time?

Sorry for my english, I hope that I could explain what I want to do

Thanks in advance
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MXO2 line of products allow you to connect a HDMI signal from your camera and stream the signal directly to your CDN (Content Delivery Network) using supported applications such as Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, Telestream Wirecast, and Microsoft Expression Encoder.

The MXO2 basically allows the video signal from the HDMI port to be accepted by the streaming application. The rest of the streaming workflow is handled by the application.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be using a PC or MAC system?

If PC, use Windows 7 with MXO2 driver 7.6.1.

IF MAC, use Lion or Mountain Lion with MXO2 driver 2.6.1. If you have Mavericks, we can provide you with a 2.6.2 beta driver that works fine with Wirecast, AFMLE and Livestream Producer.
kain
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll use a PC, with windows 7.
I still need some information about on what this device can do.

What's the output of an MX02LE capturing a raw HD HDMI input?
Is it possible to configure what kind of codec/output ?
I still need to re-encode what exits from the MX02LE ?
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MXO2 is not "encoding" the video in the case of live streaming use - it is simply an "input device". Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder or Wirecast for example will take the incoming video signal and encode to the desired streaming format. It uses the computer's processor to do the compression.

However, the MXO2 devices can be used to SCALE the video, which reduces the load on the processor. You might have a 1920x1080 source, and you wish to stream at 640x360 - Matrox can scale the video using hardware before the result is handed to FMLE or Wirecast for compression to stream. This makes it much easier for the processor to encode the stream.

If you only wish to use HDMI sources, then the MXO2 Mini will do the job. If you require HD-SDI, then you mioght want MXO2 LE for instance.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
kain
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks autumn, that is the info I was looking for.
Many thanks!
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I don't believe MXO2 will work with FFMpeg though, check here for compatible software - http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini_max/streaming/

Regards,

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
kain
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I've another question.
From the lateral host port of the MX02LE exits processed signal or it's raw?
At the moment we are capturing video signal from this port via pcmcia, and my fear is that we are doing it wrong :S
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have 3 ways to get the video from MXO2 into your computer, and all 3 methods require a Matrox adapter -

PCIe for desktop
ExpressCard for laptop
Thunderbolt for Mac

If you are using the card slot adapter with your laptop, that is correct then

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
kain
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autumn,
thanks for the info, I need 1 more advice, i'll explain the workflow again and please correct me if I am wrong.

I currently have a MX02LE MAX that will receive a 1080i@25fps signal. It will reach the input port of the MX via SDI.
Then I'll capture that signal using the lateral host port via an ExpressCard and I'll encode it with Adobe Live Encoder 3.2. The encoded signal will be sent to a remote streaming server.

Can I configure the MX02LE to rescale to 720p? If yes, I'll be able to capture the rescaled signal using the ExpressCard?

So, if I did understand well..the main purpose of the MX02LE is rescaling via hardware? The MX02 doesn't do any kind of compression/encoding?

sorry for all those dumb questions, but I'm new in the world of live streaming and matrox hardware, i'm trying to understand how it works Embarassed
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main purpose of MXO2 devices was originally for VIDEO CAPTURE. Older cameras all used tape, and in order to edit that material in the computer, the footage needed to be "captured" or "digitized" meaning you would play the tape and the video signal went into the MXO2, which then converted that signal into a digital file on the hard drive. MXO2 captured as .avi (PC) or .mov (Mac) files for editing. Of course, most cameras now use memory cards, so capturing is losing favor - just edit raw data from SD card.

Matrox later added software drivers that would allow MXO2 units to act as input devices for certain video streaming apps. Computers of course do not have SDI or HDMI inputs built in, so the MXO2 acts as a bridge to accept those types of inputs, and converts them to a digital signal that the streaming/encoding software can accept.

When using MXO2 for streaming, your computer processor is encoding the actual file that will be streamed, with MXO2 acting as the input device (in place of a USB or Firewire camera source for example). However, it is possible to use the MXO2 hardware to SCALE the input prior to handing it to FMLE for encoding into the stream.

I know this works in Adobe FMLE, but cannot speak for any other applications. In FMLE, under the Encoding Options tab, it says "DEVICE" and next to it, you should see "Matrox A/V Input" and to the right of that, a wrench icon. Use the wrench to bring up the Matrox input settings. You will select the input type and resolution (such as SDI 1080i 25) and to the right of that is "Frame Size" - this is where the scaling is set for the MXO2 hardware.

So if the input is 1080i, and you want the stream to be 640x360, then set Frame Size to 640x360. MXO2 will scale the 1920x1080 input to 640x360 before handing the result to FMLE for encoding. In FMLE settings, you will also see "Input Size" and "Output Size". Make certain that BOTH match the Matrox Frame Size so that no further scaling occurs in the FMLE processing. There is also a deinterlace box, which you would normally check if using an interlaced video source.

MXO2 does not encode to Flash, that is what FMLE software is doing. Hope this answers your questions. I wanted to post an image of the FMLE settings, but don't have the capability.

Regards,

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
kain
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect explication Jeff, all is clear now Smile
many thanks Smile
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello kain,

Please feel free to ask other MXO2 type of questions in our technical support sections. You will get a faster reply, than in pre-sales.

Regards

Vic
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam