Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a Windows 8.1 System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox Mojito MAX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abahmer
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Building a Windows 8.1 System Reply with quote

I was here many years ago and was directed to some very specific make/model of computer systems for previous Matrox products. Is there still that recommendation with the Mojito?

I saw more generic recommendations pertaining to video card, multiple drives, and RAM. If I spec any vendor with those certain items, will that do?

Also, some threads indicate an issue with Matrox drivers for Win 8.1 -- as recently as 3/24/14. http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=13534&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

What's the real scoop here? I am hoping to match Adobe CS6 with Win 8.1 and Mojito Max.

Thanks!
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello abahmer,

Presently we do not have windows 8.1 support. As you read on the other thread, this is being worked on. In regards to which Adobe version which will be supported, this is another inquiry, which I can't answer as of yet.

I would strongly suggest windows 7 64bit for your new workstation.

Video cards should be followed from what Adobe suggests, so that you can get their mercury playback to function.

From a listing I have for CS6:

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
NVIDIA Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus configuration
Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro 2000 (Windows)
Quadro 2000D (Windows)
Quadro 2000M (Windows)
Quadro 3000M (Windows)
Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro 4000M (Windows)
Quadro 5000 (Windows)
Quadro 5000M (Windows)
Quadro 5010M (Windows)
Quadro 6000 (Windows)
Quadro CX (Windows)

Best to check with Adobe, and what they recommend for the newer version of their suite.

Who makes the graphic card, doesn't really matter, as the driving engine is what counts.

Onboard sound card typically is fine.

Motherboard should be intel chipset based.

Hope this leads you in the right direction.

Make sure the case you have is big enough for the Matrox card to fit into it.

-3/4-length PCIe card
-L: 24.7 cm (9.3") - W: 9.9 cm (3.9")
-Overall thickness including components 1.9 cm (3/4")

Any other questions, please ask.

Regards

Vic
abahmer
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic, thank you for your timely response - especially the note about form factor.

I have since learned that our college will be subscribing to Adobe CC -- still not a problem, and I am using the Adobe certified video guide http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html for that. And keeping Encore as a separate product is good advice.

Our IT dept also says we will stick with Win7-64b, so that advice will be heeded.

~ Aaron Bahmer
Eastern Wyoming College
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello abahmer,

Please be aware with regards to encore, the dvd/bluray authoring application, there is no adobe CC version of it. The last version was for CS6.

What I have seen from others who want to use both, is install the adobe CC suite, then encore CS6, then apply for any adobe updates. Once completed, then install our 7.5.2 driver.

http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/windows/mxo2/doc/en_Matrox_MXO2_Supported_OS_and_Applications_7_5_2.pdf

At least for now, best to stick with Windows 7 64bit with SP1.

Have a great weekend.

Regards

Vic
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aaron,

Just to clarify, the Mojito is not the "replacement" for the RT.X2 really. I think there is sometimes a mindset with Matrox customers that the RT.X2 was internal, therefore the Mojito card is the obvious next step.

The MXO2 models in general are the replacement (next generation so to speak) and the Mojito came out as an option only more recently. The Mojito is roughly equivalent to the MXO2 LE, but is internal rather than external. The main difference is that the LE offers a nice breakout box, while the Mojito offers a "snake cable" behind the computer. If that's OK with you, then it does cost less than the LE. If you don't need HD-SDI and XLR audio, then maybe an MXO2 Mini or Mini MAX would suit you.

Keep in mind that an MXO2 will be "portable" between various computers, PC and Mac, desktop and laptop - another consideration.

You can compare features of MXO2 models and Mojito here - http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/products/mxo2/en_compare_models.pdf

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
www.sharbor.com
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff for your input.

Going back in history, after the Rtx2/Axio cards, which was only for windows, the MXO2 line came out. Initially Mac only, with PC drivers which followed.

Desktop and Laptop compatibility as well.

We had client requests for the MXO2 in a pci card version instead. This eventually brought the Mojito card to market.

Regards

Vic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox Mojito MAX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam