Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Input to PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timm1303
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Input to PC Reply with quote

I've recently obtained a Matrox Mini. I want to use it to digitise DVD video on-the-fly into Avid Media Composer (6.5).
I've hooked up the DVD to the Matrox Mini via component, and installed the Matrox PCIe host adapter in the PC, and hooked it up via the 422 lead.
My system runs two monitors hooked up to my Nvidea GeForce GTX 650 Ti card so doesn't have any other available inputs.
What else do I need to do to get the output from the Matrox Mini into my PC?
Apologies if this is a stupid "newbie" question.
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi timm1303,

Have you registered your MXO2? If not, please follow this link: https://matrox.com/video/en/support/register/

Which driver for the MXO2 have you installed? Which version of windows are you running?

The MXO2 has a series of inputs and outputs.

You can select one input at a time and switching is done with our AV tools or within Avid, provided the correct driver is installed.

All MXO2 outputs are live, hdmi, composite, component, svideo.

The MXO2 box connects to the computer via the supplied host cable which bridges to the PCIe card.

PDF user manuals are here: http://matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/mxo2/doc/en_Matrox_MXO2_Quick_Installation_Guide_3_3.pdf

http://matrox.com/video/en/support/windows/mxo2/downloads/doc/release_7.5.1/

Regards

Vic
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the obvious of having the correct drivers and all that, please note that MXO2 cannot capture copyrighted materials - if the video source has any encryption in the signal, it won't work, you'll likely get a blue screen in the capture window. Many DVDs players seem to scramble the output even if it IS your own DVD-R disc.

For purposes of testing and configuring MXO2 capture, would be best to start with a clean signal from a video camera. Once MXO2 is working (able to capture), then try the DVD source.

If the DVD is not encrypted, for instance you made it yourself and no longer have the source materials, you may be better off with a ripping software to simply pull editable files direct from the disc. Less generational loss than playing/capturing. Adobe Premiere can actually edit .vob files right from the disc, no conversion, if you have access to that software.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vic and thanks for replying

Have you registered your MXO2?

Yes I have.

Which driver for the MXO2 have you installed?

I thought I had the latest, but interestingly the system did an update this morning and this seems to have solved the problem!

Which version of windows are you running?

Windows 7 64 bit

I have one further question which you may or may not be able to help me with...

Avid seems quite happy to capture the video on the fly, and I can see the audio is there but I have no way of monitoring it as it's being digitised.

I connected the audio outs into the computer mic in, but this had no effect.

When I finish digitising, and playback without the Matrox connected, the sound is there in all its glory. It would just be nice to monitor the audio on the in.

But this may not be a Matrox issue but an Avid or Computer set-up one.

Many thanks

Tim
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff and thanks for replying.

The DVD source isn't encrypted, and with the recent unexpected software update (see my reply to Vic) the main problem seems to have been resolved.

All I want to do now is work out how to monitor the audio in the Avid while digitising.

Thanks for pointing out the generational loss issue versus ripping. I usually use Handbrake on my Mac, then import the MP4 files into Avid.

Many thanks

Tim
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tim,

With our latest 7.5.1 driver for windows, here is a listing of supported Avid applications:

Avid Media Composer 7.0.2, 6.5.4, and 6.0.4, Symphony 6.5.4 and 6.0.4, and NewsCutter 11.0.2, 10.5.4, and 10.0.4.

If required, have your Avid updated to match the revisions I listed.

For the MXO2, all outputs are live. Meaning if your settings are correct, then you should have audio and video out of the MXO2 box active, and should be viewable/listenable.

For example, if you have an HDMI cable from the out of the MXO2 to the input on your tv, you should see and hear the footage from the timeline.

The PDF user guide is here:
http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/windows/mxo2/doc/en_Matrox_MXO2_Installation_and_User_Guide_7_5_1.pdf

Chapter 11 talks about Avid usage.

Regards

Vic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam