Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedgrade CC 7.1 Mercury Transmit

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dominicwitherow
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Speedgrade CC 7.1 Mercury Transmit Reply with quote

Every time I attempt to enable Mercury Transmit in Speedgrade CC 7.1 the app crashes and closes down.

It detects my MXO2 mini no problem (works perfectly in PP and AE BTW) and gives me the option to enable it but then dies after a moment of beach ball.

I know this is a known issue with AJA cards, but there is scant information on MXO2 performance, so I don't know if this is just me or the software/hardware etc.

I have a new, clean installation of CC, which was remotely installed for me by Adobe support after a wealth of other problems. I also have a clean install of the MXO2 4.0 drivers, installed after CC was fully installed. It's only speed grade that proves difficult too. Maybe it's looking for SDI rather than HDMI?

My system is:

MacPro 5,1 6 core 3.33GHz
GTX 680 Mac
48GB RAM
MXO2 mini with latest drivers/firmware

OSX 10.8.5
Adobe CC 7.1

Thanks for any help.
Dominic
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm the resolution and frame rate you are trying to output out of SpeedGrade?

Does the crash occur as soon as you enable Mercury Transmit option? Is there a specific set of steps to cause it to crash?

Can you confirm your System Preferences > Sound input and output device? The input and output should be set to a non-Matrox device.
Can you confirm your Speedgrade Sound device settings?

Can you try running Preference Manager to clear Adobe preferences? Link: http://www.digitalrebellion.com -> Products -> Preference Manager. Install and run the software, then click the default profile name in the list of profiles, then click the trash button (bottom left of window) to clear preferences. Note that this will reset all preferences to defaults.

If you feel comfortable, can you try the Repair Disk Permissions feature on the MAC. This has helped some users who experienced anomalies with their MAC systems. A permissions repair can be performed using Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app) by selecting a Mac OS X startup volume and clicking the Repair Disk Permissions button in the First Aid section. For more information on RDP: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1452
dominicwitherow
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the slow response, the forum never informs me when there is a new post, despite checking that preference every time.

Neither 1080 nor 720 work. I have tried both multiple times.

Crash occurs a couple of seconds after 'enable' is selected. There is no crash dialogue, the app just vanishes, as if it had never been open. The specific set of steps that cause it to crash are: open SG preference window, select 'enable Mercury Transmit' in displays section. SG then vanishes. Every time.

Sound i/o are both set to non-MXO devices and the MXO works perfectly with PP and AE. SG sound output is set to 'no sound'.

I have trashed prefs with Preference Manager, repaired permissions and uninstalled and reinstalled Speedgrade.

It just doesn't work.

Thanks for any help!
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dominic,

We are not seeing this issue in house with SpeedGrade 7.1, MXO2 4.0 drivers and Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
Do you have any other 3rd-party hardware or software plugins installed?

We have noticed SpeedGrade and AJA hardware on Creative Cow forum: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/378/5659

To confirm, did this previously work with SpeedGrade 7.0.1? Please let us know further updates.
dominicwitherow
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam

I have a load of PP & AE plugins installed: all the Red Giant suites, all the Videocopilot plugins, the Foundry Camera Tracker and a load of iZotope audio plugins too (RX3, Ozone, Alloy, Nectar). These are all pretty standard tools that have never caused problems before.

Could there be an issue with my graphics card? I have seen that CUDA is mentioned as being problematic with Mercury Transmit in some SG setups. Have you tested with a GTX 680 Mac? It's both CUDA and Open CL enabled. Could that be an issue?

Anyone else got this problem?

I never tried Speedgrade 7.0, so I'm afraid I can't answer that bit.

Dominic
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dominic,

We have not been able to try out with GTX680. We have noticed on some forums where users are running 3rd-party plugin and is causing conflict with SpeedGrade's Mercury Transmit setting.

The NVIDIA card should not be the issue since it is a supported Adobe CC graphic card.

Have you tried a fresh install of the system without 3rd-party plugins? Have you tried removing the plugins?

Do you have another MAC system where you can test this out?
dominicwitherow
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sam. Are there any specific plugins that have caused problems? I need all my plugins and use them daily, so getting rid of them is not an option I can sustain.

I'm afraid I don't have another Mac that's capable of using the MXO2 (I don't have the Macbook Pro card).

I'm doing a full system reinstallation next week, with a new SSD, so I'll experiment with that.

I'll let you know how I get along.

Thanks
Dominic
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dominic,

We have noticed some forum posts where users had FxFactory Plugin problems with SpeedGrade 7.1:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1326233
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/378/5659

If you perform a fresh install, try Adobe CC/SpeedGrade CC without the 3rd-party plugins installed first, and if it works, then try installing one plugin software at a time. We can verify if the software plugins are the issue.

Let us know your results whenever possible.
dominicwitherow
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joy so far. I tried it before loading any plug-ins into Adobe CC and it still fails. I have since discovered that Adobe have disabled the GPU for linking between PP and SG on Mac. Maybe that's something to do with it? I'll try more fiddling.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. To confirm, did you perform a fresh install?

Are you opening only SpeedGrade when getting the Mercury crash or do you have both Premiere and SpeedGrade opened?
dominicwitherow
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam

Yes, I have done two complete, fresh installations of Adobe CC and it happens both when only Speedgrade is open and when Premiere is open.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to confirm, this only occurs with SpeedGrade opened? No linking between Premiere and SG?

If possible, have you tried upgrading to SpeedGrade 7.0.1 with fresh install and see if the same issue occurs?

Do you have another graphic card to test out?
Have you verified the Adobe disabling GPU linking issue?
dominicwitherow
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How odd, my last reply didn't get posted. Anyway, it's not an issue anymore, as of the December Adobe CC video apps update, SG now works exactly as it's supposed to.

Adobe clarified that there was a specific issue with Mercury Transmit on Mac which could lead to crashing exactly as I experienced and it has officially been fixed in this latest update. Likewise the GPU acceleration on Mac with SG has also been enabled, but only on NVIDIA Open CL cards (not a whole lot of them around for Mac), so my GTX 680 Mac is making it all work like a charm now.

Thanks for the patience in trying to help, but it does seem that it was entirely an Adobe issue, which is now resolved.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting back with your latest updates. Glad to hear SG 7.2 has resolved the Mercury issue. We will lock this post but please feel free to start a new thread for future issues you may encounter.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: